Golden Visa

Old Dec 2nd 2018, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Golden Visa

I am looking at this option as returning to the UK is unpalatable I am married to a non Eu national.

I see that an agency that handles these applications expects to provide a list of acceptable properties to be purchased with their legal advisors handling the conveyancing.

Under the scheme rules the property has to be purchased before applying for a Golden visa. (GV)

1/ Is there a direct method to apply for the GV as I do not want an agent telling me what I can and cannot buy.? The property we have in mind is in excess of 500,000 Euro and has three units that can be rented out in the Estoril area.

2/ The intent is to live there full time and apply for Residents status, not citizenship at this time at the end of the 5 year period.

3/ The initial 10 years of favourable tax treatment that applies to overseas income. Does it also apply to capital gains from investment held overseas. Or is that just added to overseas income.

Thanks I would greatly appreciate any input, more so, from those who have gone through this route.

thank you

Last edited by mikemike; Dec 2nd 2018 at 12:56 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golden Visa

Your comment about not wanting to return to the UK suggests you have a UK passport?

In which case (until Brexit is complete) you have right to enter, reside & work anywhere in the EU & your spouse has the same rights under the reunification of family rules so no Golden Visa required if you register residency before Brexit completion date.

If I misunderstand & you do need the Golden Visa route I suggest you don't trust the agency you mention with a bargepole because (from your description) they sound seriously dodgy.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing to return and deciding not to because you believe in a non-existent anti-immigrant sentiment is, frankly, foolish, particularly when compared to the rest of the EU.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i am a UK citizen and passport holder.

My concern is that the needed funding will be available until after the Brexit date(yes it could be extended....please)

At the moment I am a UK expat and do not pay income or CGT tax on Uk pensions and share investment gains. Does this apply in Portugal as part of the 10 year incentive scheme. I
believe my pensions will not be taxed in Portugal as my pensions fall under UK income tax and within the nil band rate.

majority of my income is from shares and capital gains.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
Thank you but it is not your wife and children that is at risk from what I see as a disgraceful pandering to UKIP and their like. I have lived overseas many years and never experienced the racial undertones now being seen in the UK.

I did ask a very specific question which if you cannot answer I see no point in you posting.
Given that I live in the UK with my ‘immigrant’ partner and you are presumably residing in the Philippines with yours I would suggest I’m better placed to make that judgement. Don’t believe anything you read in the Guardian. Continental Europe will be far more hostile to a mixed race family than the UK. Continue if you wish but I suspect you’ll have a rude awakening.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

.majority of my income is from shares and capital gains.
NHR will not give you any relief on CGT. You will pay a 28% flat rate with no exclusion amount and no deductions allowed. About 95% of my income is from the sale of shares as capital gains and I have NHR status but still have to pay the 28% tax. The reasoning behind this is that the tax treaty gives Portugal the sole taxing rights on CGT regardless of it's origin being in the UK. This is one of the reasons why I have to leave Portugal. In the UK I would pay no tax on the gains due to the exclusion amount at £ 11 600.00.
Your pension will be exempt for 10 years though.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ukkram
NHR will not give you any relief on CGT. You will pay a 28% flat rate with no exclusion amount and no deductions allowed. About 95% of my income is from the sale of shares as capital gains and I have NHR status but still have to pay the 28% tax. The reasoning behind this is that the tax treaty gives Portugal the sole taxing rights on CGT regardless of it's origin being in the UK. This is one of the reasons why I have to leave Portugal. In the UK I would pay no tax on the gains due to the exclusion amount at £ 11 600.00.
Your pension will be exempt for 10 years though.
Thank you for your reply, it helps a lot. We have friends in the Estoril area who moved from our part of the world , one 6 years ago and the other 18 months ago. they have found their new homes all that they could have wanted and have no intent on moving back here or going on to the Uk which was the original plan. They live off good pensions and not much in the way of capital gain from investments.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 5:35 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case you haven't yet been completely dissuaded from the idea of the Golden Visa, this is from the PT immigration department's web page on the topic :
Portuguese, EU and EEE nationals are not eligible for the ARI / Golden Visa scheme.
Article 90-A – Residence Permit for investment purposes

Lots of lovely info and links in there for those who are eligible, though.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Red

thank you

I was thinking that this may be the route to go in event of Brexit coming ahead of capital being available.

Nice to have options
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

majority of my income is from shares and capital gains.
There is no Capital Gains tax in Gibraltar.
https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/inc...office#ancla20
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

If taxation was the only issue we would stay put as my overseas income and capital gains are tax exempt.

I just need to understand the Portuguese system for CGT which I now have grasped. The property we are looking at(may have to be a different one due to timing) has the main house plus another three units for letting so Income tax on Portuguese rental income will be the main return for us.

schooling for the youngsters looks like private international school
Old Dec 9th 2018, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

I have been doing some more digging as CGT is the tax that concerns me most. I took the following from

https://www.expatica.com/pt/finance/...al_908573.html

I do not believe everything I see on the internet. Yet, if they are correct re CGT exemption under the 10 year NHR scheme, that makes a huge difference to us.

Portugal retirement tax

Since 2009, Portugal has offered a Non-habitual Residence (NHR) option to attract foreigners to the country by offering favourable tax conditions, including for earnings otherwise subject to Portugal retirement tax. The NHR status is available to anyone who has not been a tax resident in Portugal in the last five years, as long as they meet certain criteria.

Those granted NHR status will have any overseas income – including earnings from work, business, investments, rental income, capital gains and pensions – exempt from taxation in Portugal for a period of 10 years. There will also be no tax on wealth during this period. In addition to this, any income generated in Portugal will be taxed at a flat rate of 20 percent instead of at the progressive rates, which can be as high as 48 percent. Learn more about the NHR programme in the government's Portal das

Are they just mistaken?
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:23 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Are they just mistaken?
No - they're just failing to make the distinction between capital gains on moveable vs immoveable property. The former would be taxed, the latter not.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

In short. If the DTA allows the UK to tax the income then it will be exempt under NHR status.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 12:21 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by Ukkram
In short. If the DTA allows the UK to tax the income then it will be exempt under NHR status.
And if the income isn't from the UK, then it'll depend on the DTA between Portugal and the country where the income arises

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.