Ginja

Old Nov 13th 2021, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ginja

Originally Posted by nigel.b
There are two famous ginjinha outlets (tiny places) in Central Lisbon near Rossio - I first came across them more than 30 years ago. They were still both in operation last time I was in Lisbon a few years ago. They also served Eduardinho. When ordering ginjinha you needed to specify com elas or sem elas - with or without the cherries. There was a sort of tradition that if you ordered com elas you had a sort of right to spit out the stones quite violently.

All sounds a bit mad, but I'm sure it was like that.

Maybe this one A Ginjinha, the original Ginjinha bar opened in 1840 and still run by the same family. It is found near the corner of the Rossio square, Largo São Domingos 8.

Old Nov 13th 2021, 7:51 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Ginjinha or ginginha - I can't think of any word in Portuguese with a -ginha ending. No doubt people will come up with dozens now!
The ending is "inha", a feminine diminutive ("inho" for masculine). It's very common - Jorginho (little/young George or Georgie); Coitadinho (poor little thing) dimunitive of "coitado" (poor thing); Homenzinho (little man) in this case it adds a "z" as otherwise it wouldn't sound right....
Old Nov 13th 2021, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

Of course lots of words end in -inha! What I said was I can't think of any word ending in -ginha! Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:05 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Of course lots of words end in -inha! What I said was I can't think of any word ending in -ginha! Please correct me if I'm wrong.
but "ginha" is not the ending - the "g" is part of the root.....

Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

Read my words: ending in -ginha! I'm not talking about "the" ending, whatever the the "the" might mean. I can't think of a PT word whose last five letters are GINHA is what I'm saying! Sorry to get pedantic, but it's fun.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012, you've tracked them both down. Last time I was there it was EUR 1 a shot. I would have sworn it was EduardinHo, but obviously wrong.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Massive red herring - I don't think ginga is the original. It was always ginja, hence affectionate derivative ginjinha.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

It now seems ginginha is a very modern internet based term: Ginginha Liqueur (with fruit) 700ml. £11.09.

Enough time wasted on this tonight.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

And if the original was ginga, the diminutive would be ginguinha - no softening of the 'g'.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
We have enjoyed Eduardino ginjinha near the Rossio in Lisbon - haven't seen it in the Algarve but you never know. When in the Algarve you should try the Aguardentes Medronho and Figo. Some landlords are a bit cagey about Figo and keep it only up in the 'attic' for special guests (a bit like moonshine) but no harm in asking.

Have seen Phygus Aguardente de Figo Fig Brandy in many bars.

We were in Madeira for three months to the end of September and they have their own booze culture there with excellent Brandy on offer and an extensive range of local rums which strangely fall under the brandy umbrella.

I'm just not sure if you can get their 'stuff' on the mainland but Pingo Doce usually have a very good range, as do Continente, The excellent liquor store Soares is extensive in the Algarve for further searches and their staff are helpful.
Are these two brands of Aguardentes Medronho any good?