Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Getting to Portugal in the Winter

Getting to Portugal in the Winter

Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Sunniest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting to Portugal in the Winter

Wife and I are hoping to spend Xmas and the New Year in the Algarve. We were going to drive there around the 20th December and return around the 3rd January 2013, going via Santandar or Bilbao. I appears that there are no ferries doing that crossing at that time of year. Driving down seems to have gone out of the window unless someone can advise me differently. Going through France would add so much time onto the journey, plus their toll roads, extra fuel costs etc that I would rather not go that way. Flying......can anyone tell us who are the cheapest for flying to Faro at around the above time of year quoted...it seems that the flights get rather more pricey too. Any suggestions gratefully recieved and thanks.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:03 am
Just Joined

moonandsixpence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting to Portugal in the Winter

I think you will find that Brittany Ferries do the Santander crossing all year round, however they don't publish their timetable for December onwards until September time. If you call them they are usually very helpful.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Getting to Portugal in the Winter

Many thanks - I shall give them a call in the morning - we had hoped that was the only problem on their website, but in small writing it said they don't usually sail between 20th December and mid February... hopefully that is an out of date statement that no one at Brittany Ferries has noticed.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:05 am
Just Joined

I called a very nice helpful person and was told that Brittany ferries will email me when their new winter timetable is ready. I did point out though that in the very small print on the web site it does say no crossings from the 20th December to mid February. She replied as you...that they sailed all through the winter last year and suspects that they will do the same this year. We shall keep our fingers crossed and in the meantime many thanks for your time.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Flights are more expensive at xmas and new year but I can't see driving being any cheaper with just two of you - have a look at Easyjet, Ryanair (if you can stand it), Monarch, BA - really no telling who will be cheaper till you look, BA sometimes surprise us by being cheaper at busy periods.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that info...been studying the form this morning and am having to weigh up the odds here. Taking the car got round the problem of the wife packing the entire contents of her wardrobe and mine on a 'just in case' scenario....I always tell her that a T shirt, thong and a couple of pairs of pants are more than enough for any true Englishman, but the nice shirts and trousers, I am informed, are a must in case we go out to dinner somewhere special. The cheapest by a long way is to fly out to PT and hire a car (ready to be collected at the airport). This is a lot less hassle and quicker...just wondering about the excess baggage though.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Well, yes, that it a problem, especially as Easyjet now only gives 20kg for one case when it used to be 32kg. If you can find a BA flight, however, you get 23kg each and two pieces of hand baggage - very civillised!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:37 am
pdr
Forum Regular

pdr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniest
The cheapest by a long way is to fly out to PT and hire a car (ready to be collected at the airport). This is a lot less hassle and quicker...just wondering about the excess baggage though.
My wife and I flew BA last month. I also had the problem of "fine clothes" if we went somewhere special but 23Kg is a lot of luggage! Two large suitcases and the cabin allowance is difficult to manage and BA only charge £34 online - £40 at the airport - for an extra bag which brings you up to a potential 100Kgs of luggage. Presumably you won't approach anything like that, and your wife will pack her cases lightly, so as not to ruin her gladrags, but paying for an extra bag should sort you out - as long as you can cope with all those bags!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

For those who do the trip a lot, it's worth signing up for the BA Executive club as well - it takes some time but eventually you can qualify for free flights and upgrades :-)
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Hi,
i do this trip occasionally.
Its approx 1350 miles from Calais.
I usually go down the west coast in France, towards Bordeaux,
Cross the border into Spain then rest for the night- Vittoria / Burgos (11/12 hours drive)
Then either either go all the way down to the bottom of Spain then across to the algarve, or because its a nicer drive cross into Portugal at Guarda then over towards Santarem.
Both take approx 10/11 hours
I usually use about 250 euros of fuel(diesel), and the tolls are about 70-80 euros - most of the expensive ones in France.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

oh yes i forgot the other important reason why i chose to drive.
When i lived in England i always took the chance to fill the car up with wine, beer etc in Portugal, Spain and France - Often get half price champagne in France around Christmas time - enough wine for the year and i always thought it paid for the journey costs at least twice over (taking into account the outrageous price of wine in the UK