Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Getting back to Portugal?

Getting back to Portugal?

Old Dec 21st 2020, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting back to Portugal?

Opening this thread as a resource for anyone in this situation.

OK, so maybe flying here yesterday morning wasn't in retrospect the best idea

I need to get back within ten days or so, as I'm moving into my new house on Jan 7 (fingers firmly crossed), and have no power of attorney arranged (another oversight). Have two flights booked, one either side of Doomsday. Neither has so far been cancelled. Obviously I have residency.

Equally obviously I shall attempt to get PCR tested the day before. I believe testing is available at Portuguese airports, though, should this prove impossible? I know it's too early for any direct personal experiences, but thought this thread could serve as a resource in the coming days.

again. And happy Xmas all!

Old Dec 21st 2020, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting back to Portugal?

I'm glad we got there in the nick of time. We can also go back when we want because we are residents!!!!!
Old Dec 21st 2020, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Woodstore is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone update us on the covid test process at a Portugal airport (Faro) with not having a negative test certificate on arrival? Apparently one can test on arrival at the airport? What is the cost and procedure? Presumably the UK airports don’t require a negative test proof before boarding? Thx.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew there two and a half weeks ago and we just needed a Passenger locator form. It may have changed since.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Woodstore is an unknown quantity at this point

It has today. PT have mandated that from now on to fly into it territory you have to be a PT citizen or a legal resident and have a negative covid test prior or done once you arrive - hence my question.https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/portugal

Old Dec 22nd 2020, 6:55 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at this, it would seem inadvisable to attempt the journey without having been tested beforehand. The new measures include that airlines which carry untested passengers face fines of up to €1,000 per instance, which led to a number of passengers being refused boarding yesterday.

There has been a temporary stay on the fines until the end of today, in view of the fact that the announcement didn't give 72 hours' advance notice prior to becoming effective.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 7:04 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

If you did manage to get in without, it looks like the cost of the test is €100.

Passageiros do Reino Unido várias horas no aeroporto de Faro para fazerem teste
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

see report here in expresso newspaper
https://expresso.pt/coronavirus/2020...ra-fazer-teste
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Looking at this, it would seem inadvisable to attempt the journey without having been tested beforehand. The new measures include that airlines which carry untested passengers face fines of up to €1,000 per instance, which led to a number of passengers being refused boarding yesterday.

There has been a temporary stay on the fines until the end of today, in view of the fact that the announcement didn't give 72 hours' advance notice prior to becoming effective.
My understanding is that the passengers were refused boarding because they didn't have residency. Is this not the case?
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 11:20 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by suiko
My understanding is that the passengers were refused boarding because they didn't have residency. Is this not the case?
I don't know whether that may also have occurred but the article linked to only mentions PT citizens refused boarding at Heathrow for not being in possession of a negative test performed within the previous 72 hours.

Another article I came across says that at Faro, the backlog built up because only 1 technician was drafted in by the airport to do the tests and that half the passengers from one flight, after standing in wait for hours, were allowed to leave the airport upon signing a declaration saying they refused to take a test and that they undertook to do so within the following 48 hours. They hadn't, in fact, refused to take the test - they were merely complaining about the amount of time they were required to wait, without food or water and with no notion of how much longer it would take. One passenger said he was not alone in having taken a test in the UK 3 days prior to his flight but hadn't had the results back.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK, thanks.

It's a huge hassle for me to get somewhere where I can take a test, and then I have no guarantee of getting results within 48 hours. I'm inclined to wait and do it at Faro, but am obviously worried abot being refused boarding. Happy to wait as long as it takes in Faro airport.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 1:42 pm
Polished expat

The government issued 2 clarifications yesterday but neither dispensed with the provision for fining airlines for carrying passengers without proof of negative test results. There was a temporary suspension only, which expires at the end of today, so unless there's further word from the government on that, I guess airlines will recommence refusing boarding at the UK end.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for changes and update if I catch any announcements.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

LOL....and all this before Brexit !!!
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 7:41 am
Polished expat

OK, as promised, an update.

Further clarification was given by the Minister for Infastructures late yesterday in a statement in which he said airlines can, and should, refuse boarding to passengers from the UK not in possession of a negative result from a test carried out within the previous 72 hours. Notwithstanding this, there is provision in the law for passengers who are not compliant to disembark and be tested in Portugal should any airline get them thus far. Airlines which carry such passengers will be fined but fines are temporarily suspended until after midnight of December 23rd.

Article from Jornal de Noticias here

And I see the UK's travel advice page linked to above now reflects that position :

Old Dec 25th 2020, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

Will this ruling be reviewed and possibly go back to not needing a test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.