Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

GC Partners for currency moves ?

GC Partners for currency moves ?

Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

AlgarveAndy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GC Partners for currency moves ?

Hi just wondered if anyone has used GC Partners based in the UK and Vilamoura in the Algarve
Old Nov 19th 2019, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Jenni512 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GC Partners for currency moves ?

Hi Andy,

I haven't personally used them but know they are legitimate and well known in the industry (a good choice therefore)!

Would always recommend getting a quote from an well established FX company rather than going straight to your bank. <snip>

Thanks,
Jenni

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 19th 2019 at 11:21 am. Reason: Please re-read our Site Rules - you may not 'direct anybody to your services'.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

All these FX services are suspect; you put your money in one end and it comes out the other, their reputation gets established, they handle more money, but who are the principles, who backs it if it suddenly goes under with your money?

Premier FX did just that, and all the claims of security they had on their website were suddenly not true. Everyone was singing their praises until the day before they failed.
Almost everyone.
Be very, very careful with these services. Are they really living on the 0.1% they claim, or is it a scam waiting to snap shut with your money in it?

My advice is to never transfer more than you can weather losing. If you need to exchange / transfer a large sum do it in 10 installments.

Someone wrote that western union has competitive rates; they're a century old with ten thousand offices so your odds are better.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Transferwise for quick, easy transfers unless moving large amounts
Old Nov 19th 2019, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Jenni512 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liveaboard
All these FX services are suspect; you put your money in one end and it comes out the other, their reputation gets established, they handle more money, but who are the principles, who backs it if it suddenly goes under with your money?

Premier FX did just that, and all the claims of security they had on their website were suddenly not true. Everyone was singing their praises until the day before they failed.
Almost everyone.
Be very, very careful with these services. Are they really living on the 0.1% they claim, or is it a scam waiting to snap shut with your money in it?

My advice is to never transfer more than you can weather losing. If you need to exchange / transfer a large sum do it in 10 installments.

Someone wrote that western union has competitive rates; they're a century old with ten thousand offices so your odds are better.
Agree and disagree with the above. There is always a risk when placing your money anywhere (Royal Bank of Scotland, BlackTower, Premier FX), and it’s unfortunate that these things happen. This is why I said to go with only reputable and long-standing businesses. I think it’s a step to far to suggests FX companies could simply be a scam waiting to happen. Most do beat the banks as they trade internationally all day every day, whereas international transactions only make up a small portion of their daily movements. The more you trade in one currency, the better the rate, hence FX companies can give these rates over the banks.

My honest advice is go to your bank and get a quote, go to at least 2 FX companies which have local offices in the country you’re buying (as they trade that currency a lot so you will get a great rate), and compare quotes. Only go for companies who have been around in the industry a long time.

I work for a competitor to GC partners, so you can trust me when I say they are a good reputable company (as I have nothing to gain by telling you this).

Transferwise, Revolut etc are only good for small lump sums but you are capped so not good for property purchases/ sales. They give better rates as they have no overhead costs (offices, dedicated account manager etc). Again in my opinion not good for property purchases as you probably want to speak to someone about your needs and do a ‘forward contract’ when the rate is in your favour to lock it in!

I hope that this helps!

Thanks!
Old Nov 20th 2019, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenni512
... Transferwise, Revolut etc are only good for small lump sums but you are capped so not good for property purchases/ sales. They give better rates as they have no overhead costs (offices, dedicated account manager etc). ...
I can't comment on Revolut but TransferWise has a limit of GBP 1,000,000 or EUR 1,200,000 which is OK for most people buying or selling houses, especially given the wise precaution espoused by liveaboard of splitting into multiple smaller transfers to reduce the risk of total loss.

Personally, I fail to see the attraction of offices, dedicated account managers etc that I'm never going to see - I'd rather just get a better exchange rate.