Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Garages - which to turn to ?

Garages - which to turn to ?

Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Garages - which to turn to ?

Originally Posted by kosharius
he explained that better to use reboque from insurance company (we thought that they would take you to official garage only - no idea where it came from!);.
Worth noting that if your car breaks down, not only can you call for a breakdown truck but you can also have them send you taxi to take you home. If fully comp, with most policies you can also get a hire car via the "assitencia em viagem"(available with some 3rd party policies also) while your car is being repaired.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:46 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Worth noting that if your car breaks down, not only can you call for a breakdown truck but you can also have them send you taxi to take you home. If fully comp, with most policies you can also get a hire car via the "assitencia em viagem"(available with some 3rd party policies also) while your car is being repaired.
Our breakdown truck driver,comes for a drink with us every Christmas
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I had my car brought to my home when a brake line blew, about 50km. I never thought to ask about a hire car... It took a week to get a replacement
hose, but I made a temporary fix on the old one for that time.

Another time, my whole engine was kaput with a cracked head, but I managed to get it started and nurse it home. I had to rent a car to go get a replacement motor north of Lisbon.
I wonder if they would have paid for my rental while I fixed my car myself? That was a good chunk of the expenses.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:20 am
Just Joined

kosharius is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedscottish
that I've got from taxi driver in the evening when I had to take my daughter to her dancing

thanks anyway

just remembered.
We had radiator blown up in the UK somewhere around Bristol - M5? that nasty piece of road going uphill and constant traffic jams (& we werent the oly broken down car). Reboque arrived fast...ish, driver approached veeeery cautiously (foreign number plate), insurance company gave a choice of a hotel ou hire car. We taken the car and went to see our friends in Shropshire for coulpe of days.

Last edited by kosharius; Jul 25th 2012 at 6:42 am.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Breakdown truck guy told me about half the cars he picks up are for malfunctioning security systems, that block the engine from starting.

Fussy things with transponder chip in the keys and black box in the car that have to match a part on the engine.

I stripped mine out; 12 year old car doesn't need it.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cleri
Obviously keeping with traditions...does so while on call!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I wonder if they would have paid for my rental while I fixed my car myself? That was a good chunk of the expenses.
No, only if the car went to a garage via the Assistência em Viagem and you get them(garage) to fax/email a "declaração" that the car would be off the road for X number of days.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

That makes sense; so I could end up cheaper having my work done by a garage as opposed to doing it myself [if their labor was cheaper than the rental car].
And of course, having it towed in instead of getting the old engine started and driving it home.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by liveaboard
That makes sense; so I could end up cheaper having my work done by a garage as opposed to doing it myself [if their labor was cheaper than the rental car].
And of course, having it towed in instead of getting the old engine started and driving it home.
I am not saying you do have the right to a hire car, that will depend on the insurance(well, type of coverage of assistençia em viagem) you have. Is it Fidelidade? I am guessing that since your car is 12 years old it won't be fully comp and you will have just the basic insurance/ass.viagem.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually I do have full comp; it doesn't cost much more, and I'd find it hard to get the cash together for another car if I wreck this one.
I keep forgetting I have it though; when I dented my quarter panel, I fixed it myself without even thinking about insurance until afterwards.
It's probably just as well, if I lose my no claims discount it would likely become too expensive to keep the full comp.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:56 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
your sins of the flesh have been noted
Old Aug 10th 2012, 12:18 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MightBe
your sins of the flesh have been noted
REV!!!!