Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Frogs in the garden well

Frogs in the garden well

Old Jun 16th 2018, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Taggart001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frogs in the garden well

Just moved into a rented cottage by Pombeira in Central Portugal, which is beautiful. However, the only weird thing is the noise all night by frogs in the neighbours garden reservoir. They do love to chat.
I had a look and the reservoir is 3m x 3m and is concrete, which he must use for watering his vines. It has 2 foot high walls so the frogs must have been introduced....can anyone tell me why you would want frogs in your reservoir?
Old Jun 16th 2018, 10:05 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frogs in the garden well

Originally Posted by Taggart001
Just moved into a rented cottage by Pombeira in Central Portugal, which is beautiful. However, the only weird thing is the noise all night by frogs in the neighbours garden reservoir. They do love to chat.
I had a look and the reservoir is 3m x 3m and is concrete, which he must use for watering his vines. It has 2 foot high walls so the frogs must have been introduced....can anyone tell me why you would want frogs in your reservoir?
Why not, I frogs are part of nature , you will soon get used to them as we have with the neighbours, dogs, chickens, ducks, , night bird noises straight out of a horror movie.
Welcome to Portugal .
Old Jun 16th 2018, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

They eat mosquito larvae and other insects; very important.
And they don't have to be introduced, they find their way in all by themselves.
Some fish will help with algae growth.
This is common to all open ponds and wells. You need some critters to ballance out the other critters.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 6:38 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
They eat mosquito larvae and other insects; very important.
And they don't have to be introduced, they find their way in all by themselves.
Some fish will help with algae growth.
This is common to all open ponds and wells. You need some critters to ballance out the other critters.
My barragem (or large pond) is about 300m from my house, which, like most montes, is on a rise above the surrounding land. It is not unusual to have no rain from May until October, yet when it does rain, every large puddle around my house has a frog - they are far more mobile than you might expect! The barragem has a resident colony of terrapins, some the size of dinner plates, but on summer evenings it has a full orchestra of frog calls. These form a noisy background to the individual croaks of the tree frogs in the yuccas in my garden. The concert starts gradually, as if tuning up, reaches a crescendo after about 15 minutes and then stops completely (although it seems that sometimes the tree frogs can't see the conductor!). Along with the bells of my neighbours sheep and cattle, this is the music of life.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taggart001
you would want them to eat the mosquito larvae. Standing water is perfect for breeding the little biters...Also if you might have a problem with gypsies paying unwelcome visits. They hate frogs.very superstitious about them..Many of us have plaster frogs/toads standing guard over our gates....
Old Jun 17th 2018, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
My barragem (or large pond) is about 300m from my house, which, like most montes, is on a rise above the surrounding land. It is not unusual to have no rain from May until October, yet when it does rain, every large puddle around my house has a frog - they are far more mobile than you might expect! The barragem has a resident colony of terrapins, some the size of dinner plates, but on summer evenings it has a full orchestra of frog calls. These form a noisy background to the individual croaks of the tree frogs in the yuccas in my garden. The concert starts gradually, as if tuning up, reaches a crescendo after about 15 minutes and then stops completely (although it seems that sometimes the tree frogs can't see the conductor!). Along with the bells of my neighbours sheep and cattle, this is the music of life.

I love the sound of the goat and cattle bells...do hope it never dies out.....music indeed
Old Jun 17th 2018, 12:21 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
I love the sound of the goat and cattle bells...do hope it never dies out.....music indeed
Luckily, where we are, there are few neighbours close enough for us to hear dogs barking - which can be one of the downsides. Luckily also, the "tradition" of dumping the puppy from last Christmas on the track outside our gate, on the way to a holiday in the Algarve, also seems to have abated over the past couple of years. That's not to say it doesn't still happen, but now they can't even be bothered to drive off the IC1 to do it

It's getting to that time of year again, so please keep an eye out for the poor little creatures. They're easy to spot, usually wandering by the side of the road, looking bemused and staring after cars, in the hopes their owners will come back. If dogs are mans best friend, it doesn't say much for man! Look up the contact details of a local association and keep them with you - then all it takes is a phone call to give them a chance for survival.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

We found a puppy dumped on the side of the road last year. We were very lucky in that a small animal charity agreed to take him in - we were actually getting to the point where we were considering that it would be kinder to get a vet to have the poor creature put down than to leave him at the municipal kennel. I don't know how people could dump any creature. I'd probably be booted off this forum if I said what I'd like to do to people that dump animals.

The charity who took Dingo (yes, we named him Dingo) in was: Home page Animals Lost Paadise Found They are an incredible charity who do an astounding job and they deserve any support that could be offered.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:29 am
Resident Cynic

My girls, both abandoned outside my home......
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Doe's finding a big ole Toad in my Ducks super king size plastic bathing bowl last night count ?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam

My girls, both abandoned outside my home......
If you would like to help a Voluntary Kennel that cares for abandoned animals until there adopted , please donate using the link :- easily translate using top left hand box
A sobrevivência do canil está nas tuas mãos

Last edited by Ingles; Jun 20th 2018 at 11:20 am.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:12 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Ingles
If you would like to help a Voluntary Kennel that cares for abandoned animals until there adopted , please donate using the link :- easily translate using top left hand box
A sobrevivência do canil está nas tuas mãos
Many associations exist in Portugal and most are continually struggling to meet the demands upon them so they deserve your support.
ACGRA is a well-established association that rescues Dogs and Cats of all types from an area of some 2500 sq.km, encompassing the districts of Aljustrel, Ourique, Castro Verde and Almodovar in the Alentejo. Rescued dogs are treated and put up for adoption and they have had great success re-homing them in Germany and Scandinavia as well as in Portugal. No rescued animal is ever put down unless it cannot be saved, some of the older residents have been at the kennel for years (as in the name, a Rafeiro do Alentejo is a mastiff and few people can afford to adopt them!). The Association helped us greatly when we rescued our first girl and sorted out all the necessary vaccinations, sterilization, etc.

This is Duque, a Rafeiro do Alentejo and a long term resident at ACGRA
Old Jun 20th 2018, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

The puppy we found on the side of the road was actually adopted by someone in the UK.