Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Freeview in Portugal

Freeview in Portugal

Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

sukitess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freeview in Portugal

Can anyone tell. If I buy a TV with integrated freeview in Portugal, will I get the BBC and ITV programmes.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

j1mbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Freeview in Portugal

My understanding is that FREEVIEW is terrestrial, ie, uses an aerial to get it's signal from a local transmitter. As there are no local transmitters broadcasting BBC and ITV, the answer is no.

What you need is FREESAT, which requires a satellite dish.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Freeview in Portugal

That was my line of thought. Many thanks for confirming this.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:35 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

By golly, he's right.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by j1mbo
What you need is FREESAT, which requires a satellite dish.
There's a discussion about FREESAT going on HERE
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:18 am
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Freeview in Portugal

If you buy a Sky box with no subscription to the Sky service you will get all the Free-to-view channels over satelite.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

chriswoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how many free channels you get?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Well, if it's with Sky it's these...

http://packages.sky.com/see/FreeAirChannels.aspx

If it's with Freesat then you can find them here:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main
Old May 5th 2009, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

JohnZD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sukitess
Can anyone tell. If I buy a TV with integrated freeview in Portugal, will I get the BBC and ITV programmes.
Hi,

Yes you can get FREEVIEW, I have BBC1/2/3/4 ITV1/2/3/4 More4.

I dont get MTV in english but do in German. I have around 25 channles worth watching in English. I also plugged in a Sky box without subscription and received all the free view channels you get back in the UK.

Either way you can get it.

Good luck.
J
Old May 5th 2009, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JohnZD
Hi,

Yes you can get FREEVIEW, I have BBC1/2/3/4 ITV1/2/3/4 More4.

I dont get MTV in english but do in German. I have around 25 channles worth watching in English. I also plugged in a Sky box without subscription and received all the free view channels you get back in the UK.

Either way you can get it.

Good luck.
J
Hi JohnZD, I really think that you may be confusing FREEVIEW with FREESAT with FREE to AIR. FREEVIEW, the original question, is digital broadcast from a ground tower and received by a 'line of sight' aerial, FREESAT is digital received by a satellite dish and FREE to AIR is digital received by satellite dish and displayed along with the EPG (Electronic Program Guide) by SKY boxes without the need for a card. To further complicate things, FREE to VIEW is the SKY card that gets you SKY3, Five, etc

If you can really receive UK FREEVIEW Channels in Portugal I would love to know which direction your aerial (NOT satellite dish) is pointing.
Old May 5th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by j1mbo

If you can really receive UK FREEVIEW Channels in Portugal I would love to know which direction your aerial (NOT satellite dish) is pointing.
Yes I'd love to know, I'm in the UK with a Panasonic Plasma TV that has Freeview built in and I can't get the freeview channels (in Berkshire - no where remote!) so very much doubt you are getting Freeview in PT.

Do you happen to live in a complex where the tv aerial is connected to a communal dish?

G
Old May 5th 2009, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

I just stumbled across this info on the Radio Popular website. It tells all about the launch of the Portuguese FREEVIEW equivalent(TDT), which only commenced broadcasting on 29 April. It's in Portuguese, but while it says that many channels could be available, the only ones being broadcast are the normal RTP, SIC TVI & RTP Madeira & Azores.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes I think I posted about this ages ago, said it was going to be launched in 2009 but there was a big to do about which channels they were going to have and what frequency it was on (or something to that effect).

I wouldn't hold my breath though!

G
Old May 15th 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

We took our own FREE SAT box over to PT and if your dish is big enough ie does not have to be as big as the Sky one but bigger than cabo tv then it works great without any subscriptions. We are in the eastern algarve cant speak for the rest