Forest Fires

Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:24 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forest Fires

The news gets worse, now 62 dead - 47 of them in or near cars attempting to reach the IC8. Truly awful.

Descansem em paz, compadres.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Truly awful and condolences to all. God, how brave are our bombeiros.
Top news on the BBC, first page in the Mirror, 5 pages down in the Mail, not a mention that I could find in the Telegraph, Guardian or HuffPost. During the London fire that was top news in all the Portuguese papers. Speaks volumes..
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonny22
Truly awful and condolences to all. God, how brave are our bombeiros.
Top news on the BBC, first page in the Mirror, 5 pages down in the Mail, not a mention that I could find in the Telegraph, Guardian or HuffPost. During the London fire that was top news in all the Portuguese papers. Speaks volumes..
Please be as kind as to check out Post Nº 10 on this thread
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Apologies re Grauniad, missed that one. But I think I'm probably correct on the others and my point was broader. How can a bunch of Z listers and assorted mind numbing news (including the unmentionable B word) be more important and newsworthy at this sad time especially as the UK has also recently suffered a similar terrible tragedy. The UK press should be giving all the support they can to their Portuguese brothers and sisters at this time - fundraising and calling on the UK government to assist etc, not just pushing it to the bottom page where nobody will read it. Or, worse still ignoring it completely.

Last edited by Jonny22; Jun 18th 2017 at 5:07 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 5:26 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies re Grauniad, missed that one. But I think I'm probably correct on the others and my point was broader. How can a bunch of Z listers and assorted mind numbing news (including the unmentionable B word) be more important and newsworthy at this sad time especially as the UK has also recently suffered a similar terrible tragedy. The UK press should be giving all the support they can to their Portuguese brothers and sisters at this time - fundraising and calling on the UK government to assist etc, not just pushing it to the bottom page where nobody will read it. Or, worse still ignoring it completely.
Foreign Aid? I'm not sure the kippers would approve of that.
I suspect many will be checking how far Coimbra is from Albufeira (and whether the breweries are affected).

But hey, votes down, no MPs, who gives a ****!
Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

account of a brit expat who got caught in it;
Portugal fire survivor: 'I should have died' - BBC News

It could even be one of us...
Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Fairly typical I am afraid.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Fairly typical I am afraid.
I know I shouldn't, but read the comments on the Mail story. You'll need to scroll down for 10 minutes though. I used to be proud to be British, not now though. What a @@@ing disgusting crowd inhabit that paper. Unfortunately this is what the rest of the world see and think it's reflective on all of us. Oh @@@k, what's happening. Hotel California?
Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
account of a brit expat who got caught in it;
Portugal fire survivor: 'I should have died' - BBC News

It could even be one of us...
Indeed it could and almost was a few years back. Thank god for the fantastic local support and the bombeiros. Our prayers are with the folk up there.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have personal contact with Mfesharne? This silence is getting scary. I'm thinking should the British Ambassador be informed? What do you do in circumstances like this?
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

mfesharne: Visited Steve and Susan a couple of times - lovely people - and their house borders forest land; we're really worried. I have sent an email but no reply. With the awful statistics of Nodereinho fatalities (within, of course, the larger picture) we are on tenterhooks wondering if they are ok

If anyone has news of them, please let us all know via this thread.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone seen sign of Red Eric? Don't know what part of the country he's in.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:32 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Anyone seen sign of Red Eric? Don't know what part of the country he's in.
I'm fine thanks - a very long way north of the affected area. Very concerned about mfesharne, though - he'll be right in the thick of it. I guess the comms will all be knocked out completely round there.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:36 pm
Resident Cynic

I know I shouldn't, but read the comments on the Mail story. You'll need to scroll down for 10 minutes though. I used to be proud to be British, not now though. What a @@@ing disgusting crowd inhabit that paper. Unfortunately this is what the rest of the world see and think it's reflective on all of us. Oh @@@k, what's happening. Hotel California?
Four children die in Portugal fires that have killed 62 | Daily Mail Online
There are some genuine comments and expressions of sympathy hidden amongst the dross, but I'm not really surprised at the comments - and they're not all from Brits or necessarily Mail readers. Given the cr@p and venom being spouted elsewhere this is just par for the course - trolling is the new sport. Many of those commenting probably don't know or care where Portugal is - and I notice at least one Spaniard having his own dig. It is disgusting though and makes me think of the old adage "If you've nothing good to say, say nothing".
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:43 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm fine thanks - a very long way north of the affected area. Very concerned about mfesharne, though - he'll be right in the thick of it. I guess the comms will all be knocked out completely round there.
I too am concerned that we've not heard from him and hope that it is just loss of comms.

My wife was close to the fires around Agueda last year and described it as hell on earth - and I had a bush fire on my land last year and saw how quickly it moved ....... believe me, if you've not experienced it, you don't know.

Although we get used to the fires each year, so much loss of life is truly terrible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.