Flying

Old Oct 27th 2020, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying

Originally Posted by BillBullock
The East Algarve is the place to be. I even see people wearing their masks whilst driving alone!

Caldas-da-rainha can top that, mask and visor driving alone 😂
Old Oct 27th 2020, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get crowds / congestion in the streets as well as in stores. When you cannot avoid congestion and cannot maintain safe distancing, it is sensible to take precautions and wear a face covering. That is the intention of the new law that has just been published. You do not have to wear a face covering in public in the open air if you are maintaining safe distancing. Commonsense prevails here in Portugal, at least where I live.
Just as I finished this post, the following info was posted by AFPOP:
Masks in public: The President of the Republic has now signed and issued the law regarding the wearing of masks in public, which comes into force at midnight tonight and lasts until January 5th 2021. During this period the wearing of masks is mandatory “where social distancing measures cannot be implemented”. Please remember that the fines for non-compliance range between €100 - €500.
The East Algarve is the place to be. I even see people wearing their masks whilst driving alone!
It's just the place to be, period!
Old Oct 27th 2020, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

I am somewhat confused about the social distancing bit of this. So if I go out early tomorrow morning for a run when few people are also out and about, do I need to wear a mask? Similarly, if I play golf on Thursday with three other people do we all need to wear masks? It seems to me that some joined up thinking is required here. According to the info provided the Algarve has very few cases, so why insist on a mask rule that needs to be implemented in areas of high risk? I fear for the tourist industry here ...
Old Oct 27th 2020, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
I am somewhat confused about the social distancing bit of this. So if I go out early tomorrow morning for a run when few people are also out and about, do I need to wear a mask? Similarly, if I play golf on Thursday with three other people do we all need to wear masks? It seems to me that some joined up thinking is required here. According to the info provided the Algarve has very few cases, so why insist on a mask rule that needs to be implemented in areas of high risk? I fear for the tourist industry here ...
I think you have to use some commonsense here and do an analysis of the risk.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
It feels surreal looking for flights to a place I usually go to for a summer holiday, in the middle of winter and in the middle of a pandemic.
Pandemic aside, I love Portugal in the Winter. You get some lovely sunny days and everything starts greening up.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Pandemic aside, I love Portugal in the Winter. You get some lovely sunny days and everything starts greening up.
When I lived in Spain, we had Christmas lunch on the patio, then had a log fire for the evening. We used to go down to the beach on many a winter's day in bright sunshine and warmth.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Spain, we had Christmas lunch on the patio, then had a log fire for the evening. We used to go down to the beach on many a winter's day in bright sunshine and warmth.
We do the same but in the East Algarve. I actually have photos of me wearing a summer dress on Christmas Day!
Old Oct 28th 2020, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Flying

Originally Posted by sportpix
I fear for the tourist industry here ...
But you dont fear for people that are going to die or end up in ICU long term fighting for their life.
Pathetic!!!
Old Oct 28th 2020, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EU.flag
But you dont fear for people that are going to die or end up in ICU long term fighting for their life.
Pathetic!!!
Interesting. I've read and reread my post and nowhere do I say I don't fear for others, so don't put words in my mouth.
The only pathetic thing here is your inability to read English!
Old Oct 28th 2020, 1:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down.

Rosemary
Old Oct 28th 2020, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Calm down.

Rosemary
Oh yes, back to my flights. I wonder if a train would be an option? France may be going into a national lockdown though. My brain cells are swimming.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you can get a flight, I'd advise you to do that. The last time I looked (about a week ago), Easyjet had a few flights from Bristol to Faro in November (about 3 - I think it was the 3rd, 6th & 9th) and then some in December. Ryanair seemed to have a few through November as well - I can't remember the dates but I think the 12th was one of them - again, Bristol to Faro.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shanorme
If you can get a flight, I'd advise you to do that. The last time I looked (about a week ago), Easyjet had a few flights from Bristol to Faro in November (about 3 - I think it was the 3rd, 6th & 9th) and then some in December. Ryanair seemed to have a few through November as well - I can't remember the dates but I think the 12th was one of them - again, Bristol to Faro.
We have to come in December, first week. A lot depends on this possible three month extension, if it goes ahead, we will have to quarantine for 14 days before myhusband can work. If it isn't granted we can come earlier, maybe. I'm gearing myself up to coming alone. I don't want to spend Christmas away though.

Last edited by bons; Oct 28th 2020 at 1:58 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes, back to my flights. I wonder if a train would be an option? France may be going into a national lockdown though. My brain cells are swimming.
I'd focus on flights. I've looked into trains in the past, and it was quite an ordeal, taking the better part of 24 hours.
- link for train option: https://www.seat61.com/Portugal.htm (author starts with "It's easy to reach Portugal by train from London, ...", but compared to flying, it looks like too much hassle to me.

But to add to your list, there is a ferry from the UK to Spain (Bilbao and/or Santander), but it takes about 20 hours.

Last edited by flatlndr; Oct 28th 2020 at 2:29 pm. Reason: additional comments
Old Oct 28th 2020, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have to come in December, first week. A lot depends on this possible three month extension, if it goes ahead, we will have to quarantine for 14 days before myhusband can work. If it isn't granted we can come earlier, maybe. I'm gearing myself up to coming alone. I don't want to spend Christmas away though.
With Ryanair, you could fly on the 29th of November (which is a Sunday) and then fly back on the 6th of December (also a Sunday), quite cheaply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.