British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Flying (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/flying-935430/)

bons Oct 25th 2020 7:43 am

Flying

Has anyone flown to Portugal from the UK recently? If so, how was it? We're getting to close to 'it's now or never' territory. The project my husband is working on could be extended for 3 months, so it looks like I will have to register, then bring him in next year as a family member. I hope that's easy and still applies after 31st December. The virus is getting worse so flights might be cancelled by the time we get to it. Arghh, I thought Johnson would go for an extesnion when Covid 19 hit!!!!

Shanorme Oct 25th 2020 9:46 am

Re: Flying

Flight was fine. Wear a mask; Fill in the passenger locator form. I'm flying back to the UK tomorrow and I have been to Germany as well. No issues, people seem to be mostly respectful and considerate.

bons Oct 25th 2020 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Shanorme (Post 12925958)
Flight was fine. Wear a mask; Fill in the passenger locator form. I'm flying back to the UK tomorrow and I have been to Germany as well. No issues, people seem to be mostly respectful and considerate.

Thanks. I suppose you'll have to quarantine when you get back. We're hoping to get as close to Christmas as we dare so that quarantine will land over Christams then he can start the extension in the new year.

Shanorme Oct 25th 2020 12:11 pm

Yes, I do - added to that, I live in Wales, so straight into quarantine and lockdown!

bons Oct 25th 2020 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Shanorme (Post 12925982)
Yes, I do - added to that, I live in Wales, so straight into quarantine and lockdown!

Oh dear, that's not good.

chislenko Oct 25th 2020 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Shanorme (Post 12925982)

Loads of caravans on the 55 heading in on Thursday trying to beat Friday's curfew!
I presume they just bring a load of tins from England (no minimum unit price yet) and sit in the van all weekend if nothing open.

Shanorme Oct 25th 2020 2:51 pm

Well, I'm not allowed to go shopping and I can't get a delivery slot and I have looked at every supermarket. Fortunately, I froze some milk before we left as I assumed that with my luck, something like this would happen.:blink:

bons Oct 25th 2020 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Shanorme (Post 12926044)
Well, I'm not allowed to go shopping and I can't get a delivery slot and I have looked at every supermarket. Fortunately, I froze some milk before we left as I assumed that with my luck, something like this would happen.:blink:

Can you get a neighbour to go shopping for you? You'll probably be able to get a takeaway delivery. I think we're all heading for a full lockdown.

Pilotabroad Oct 25th 2020 4:14 pm

Airports, flights OK, low numbers of passengers still, masks worn by all.
Passenger locator form to be done online now same as UK.
Flights London to Lisbon reduced by 80% for November and December, lots of cancellations emailed out in last few days.
Only a personal opinion but I wouldn't leave it too late.

bons Oct 25th 2020 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad (Post 12926070)
Airports, flights OK, low numbers of passengers still, masks worn by all.
Passenger locator form to be done online now same as UK.
Flights London to Lisbon reduced by 80% for November and December, lots of cancellations emailed out in last few days.
Only a personal opinion but I wouldn't leave it too late.

Cancellations for bookings from the airlines due to Covid? If the project is not extended, we could drive, but then we run the risk of not being able to cross borders due to Covid restrictions.

Pilotabroad Oct 25th 2020 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by bons (Post 12926071)
Cancellations for bookings from the airlines due to Covid? If the project is not extended, we could drive, but then we run the risk of not being able to cross borders due to Covid restrictions.

Yes, as in that covid has meant drastic reductions in people travelling, so airlines cancelling flights as it costs less to not fly than fly at a major loss

Shanorme Oct 25th 2020 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by bons (Post 12926067)
Can you get a neighbour to go shopping for you? You'll probably be able to get a takeaway delivery. I think we're all heading for a full lockdown.

Rural Wales....

bons Oct 25th 2020 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shanorme (Post 12926154)
Rural Wales....

Do you have family who can help? If not, I'lll sneak into Wales with a lasagne or something.

Tash79 Oct 26th 2020 7:44 am

I just returned recently from a 3 week trip (residency gained- hurrah!!!). Husband travelled separately, we both filled in the passenger locator forms for Portugal never asked.
UK again both filled in, husband never asked on his return, my return spot checks at passport control - I saw multiple people asked for it, they said they hadn’t done it, we’re subsequently told they could have been fined and let through anyway?!

We return to Portugal 24th December for our first Christmas in our new home and just hope and pray flights will still be going - if I had the option I would move them forward due to the increasing uncertainty.

Good luck!

Shanorme Oct 26th 2020 4:26 pm

Back in the UK - less than 20 people on the flight.