Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Fiscal Representative

Fiscal Representative

Old May 3rd 2018, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice
Default Re: Fiscal Representative

We have no income in PT and are not residents and have never required a fiscal rep since the legal requirement stopped some years ago. We've never submitted a nil tax return or been requested to do so. and as Red Eric says, just pay our IMI at the local financas
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:39 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
By 'pay the tax' - I take it you mean the IMI - equivalent of local council tax ?
Correct

Originally Posted by riv
Do you know if the Câmara will arrange to send the demand to an address in uk ? It's a once a year thing so I suppose if one knows when to expect it it can be a peg on which to hang a visit ( and / or just pay with an international bank transfer ).

Thanks again.
It's not the Câmara that issues the bill - it's the Finanças office.

I'm not sure about what arrangements you can make, if any, for notification by post. RichardHenshall posts a lot of very useful info on managing things from abroad - I'm sure he'll know the answer.

However, you can manage the whole thing paperlessly and without the need for an international money transfer if you have online access to your Finanças account and a PT bank account. I'm pretty certain you can't make an international payment to Finanças from a UK bank account because of the references required to tie the payment back to the invoice.
Old May 3rd 2018, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there is still a requirement for a Fiscal Rep for non-EU residents (or nationals - not 100% sure) or where property is owned by a company rather than an individual.

Regardless, the best starting point for remote management is obtaining access to the Portal das Finanças so you can see for yourself what's going on.

If you sign up for electronic notifications through ViaCTT you will get your IMI bills sent to your online ViaCTT mailbox in .pdf format. I've done this and don't get a copy by post at all.

With a Portuguese bank account you can pay online or through the Multibanco ATM network or by direct debit (see here). The direct debit option may be accessible to those with other SEPA euro bank accounts but I've no experience.

You can pay by international bank transfer (see leaflet here) but if any of the vital taxpayer details are not transmitted correctly the payment may not be credited to your correct taxpayer 'account' and I would imagine trying to unravel that long-distance might be challenging.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
Have pm-ed you.
I would still recommend the person you've suggested. She's been brilliant.