Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Filing a tax return

Filing a tax return

Old Mar 4th 2019, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filing a tax return

Hi I'm after a bit of help navigating my way through the Portuguese tax system as I am going to be filing my first return. I have a NIF, am registered as resident in PT and also have been granted NHR status. My only income is rental income from UK property. I am now registered as a non-resident landlord with HMRC and have made the relevant filings with them.

Looking at the AT guidance here, http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt/apoio_contribuinte/Folhetos_informativos/Documents/IRS_RNH_EN.pdf

I understand that I have to complete Annex L of Mod. 3 as well as annexo J 'rendimentos obtidos no estrangeiro' what code should I use to declare rental income?

Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing a tax return

Either everyone uses an accountant or doesn't do a return.

I was hoping for an active thread because I will be filing for the first time soon and havent a clue as to what I should/shouldnt be filling in
split year uk and pt but no rental properties involved. Registered as nhr
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think probably most people use an accountant. Certainly we do. It doesn’t have to cost a lot.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi m and m

Care to share how much I should pay for first return filing split year , portugal since oct .

Pm if need be also will be looking for recommendation as to who to use silver coast caldas area

Tia anyone who may help feel free to join in.

Hope this is acceptable to the op as same questions in general I think
Old Mar 7th 2019, 11:34 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Either everyone uses an accountant or doesn't do a return.

Or does do a return, doesn't use an accountant but isn't familiar enough with processes involving beneficiaries of NHR or those with rental income from abroad to be able to make informed comment off the top of their heads.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Hi m and m
Care to share how much I should pay for first return filing split year , portugal since oct .
Tia anyone who may help feel free to join in.
Hope this is acceptable to the op as same questions in general I think
We have been quoted €100 for a joint return. It will be our first but not split year, we arrived Jan 7th last year.

That sounds reasonable to us though I've read of others who pay less.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

I can share that I haven’t a clue, if that helps😀 Seriously, I suspect it will very much depend on your own personal tax/income situation I.e. how much work is involved, whether you want to apply your NHR status (extra form) etc etc. AliceCaroline sounds about right, but that will be based on her situation, not yours. Re split year, the only thing (I think) I know, and in conjunction with NHR, is that if you want your income to be calculated under NHR, you must declare for the full PT tax year regardless of the date you arrived, and if not wanting to apply your NHR status, you can just declare from the exact date you arrived in PT. But as to whether I’m 100% accurate in that ‘knowledge’, I can only state that I am not the accountant that you seek...
Old Mar 7th 2019, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric

Or does do a return, doesn't use an accountant but isn't familiar enough with processes involving beneficiaries of NHR or those with rental income from abroad to be able to make informed comment off the top of their heads.
Point taken👍

And thanks to othet contributors on the thread , its all noted 😁