Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Faro Arrivals passport query

Faro Arrivals passport query

Old Sep 27th 2022, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Faro Arrivals passport query

I am looking to travel in to Faro early Oct with 5 months validity on my UK passport. Most guidance, incl UK gov site, indicates 3 months required, although Faro airport site mentions 6.
Has anyone arrived at Faro recently with less than 6 months on passport and, if so, experienced any problems?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers, Kenny
Old Sep 27th 2022, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faro Arrivals passport query

Portugal Online say 6 months. Visa, Passport, and General Info For Entering Portugal | Portugal Online We had this dilemma earlier this year with my wife's passport and decided a new fast track one was less costly than possible airline boarding refusal and lost flight.
Old Sep 27th 2022, 1:09 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

The passport validity requirements are that it is less than 10 years old when you enter the country and valid for 3 months after your planned departure date.

I imagine that's where the "up to 6 months validity" has crept in, since you are allowed up to 90 days at a time in the Schengen Area as part of the 90 / 180 rule. But obviously not applicable if you've a return journey booked for 2 weeks after arrival.
Old Sep 27th 2022, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. We were finding conflicting information between whether it was three or six months required to be remaining on the passport but enough sources seem to be saying three, so happy to go with that.

Mary.
Old Sep 27th 2022, 3:58 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

How long is your intended stay?
Old Sep 28th 2022, 9:17 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I've also read of Schengen rules not recognising the time rolled over from the previous passport. ie if you had 2 months left on your old passport at the point you renewed it the UK give you a new passport of 10Y 2M, but the EU don't honour that, instead taking 10Y from date of issue.
​​​​​​
Safer just to get your renewal done.
Old Sep 28th 2022, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

I've just noticed that one of my two UK passports has expired so I'm thinking of renewing it. Looking on the UK Gov website a new one seems to cost 75 quid plus postage. With the posties planning 19 days of strikes I'm wondering if this might somehow go pear shaped... Are there any other pitfalls to applying from overseas?
Old Sep 28th 2022, 1:07 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by sportpix
With the posties planning 19 days of strikes I'm wondering if this might somehow go pear shaped...
The new passport is sent out by courier, so that side would be unaffected by workers from Royal Mail striking.

You could courier the existing one in when requested, as an alternative to sending by registered mail, if the potential for delays is a concern.
Old Sep 28th 2022, 1:50 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by Score76
I'm sure I've also read of Schengen rules not recognising the time rolled over from the previous passport. ie if you had 2 months left on your old passport at the point you renewed it the UK give you a new passport of 10Y 2M, but the EU don't honour that, instead taking 10Y from date of issue.
​​​​​​
Safer just to get your renewal done.
I'm just going to drop this here, for absolute clarity. It's from the horse's mouth.
Travel documents for non-EU nationals
Old Sep 29th 2022, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
I've just noticed that one of my two UK passports has expired so I'm thinking of renewing it. Looking on the UK Gov website a new one seems to cost 75 quid plus postage. With the posties planning 19 days of strikes I'm wondering if this might somehow go pear shaped... Are there any other pitfalls to applying from overseas?
Recently my wife's replacement passport arrived in 5 weeks and that included a delay because the Passport Office wanted her to send her birth certificate once they started to process the replacement. We sent from Portugal by signed-for mail but could only track it until the envelope arrived in the first UK sorting office. DHL delivered the new passport to our door and, separately, the old one plus birth certificate arrived a week later. The Passport Office charged 105.86 Pounds.
Old Oct 3rd 2022, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

The UK government website says that citizens under the Withdrawal Agreement (WA) can travel
to the EU in the last three months of their passport:

If you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, you can enter and exit Portugal with a valid passport.
You do not need any additional validity on the passport beyond the dates on which you are travelling.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...rts-and-travel

However, when looking at what I thought was the appropriate EU website, I could see no mention of this.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...y/index_en.htm

Is there a more specific EU webpage that details passport validity under the WA?
Old Oct 4th 2022, 5:27 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by ricko
The UK government website says that citizens under the Withdrawal Agreement (WA) can travel
to the EU in the last three months of their passport:

If you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, you can enter and exit Portugal with a valid passport.
You do not need any additional validity on the passport beyond the dates on which you are travelling.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...rts-and-travel

However, when looking at what I thought was the appropriate EU website, I could see no mention of this.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...y/index_en.htm

Is there a more specific EU webpage that details passport validity under the WA?
That question has previously been answered here and also in a different but equally applicable manner (ie it applies in PT national legislation, regardless of what is contained in the WA) here
Old Oct 4th 2022, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
That question has previously been answered here and also in a different but equally applicable manner (ie it applies in PT national legislation, regardless of what is contained in the WA) here
These links talk about a Valid Passport.
A problem arises with different organisations interpretation of the wording.
For example, last week Easy Jet told me that a passport was Not Valid for travel during its last 3 months if you intend
going from the UK to the EU.

So, I've been looking for documentation with wording specific enough that it will not be misinterpreted.

Old Oct 4th 2022, 12:48 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

The staff at check in/the gate denying you boarding are unlikely to read something you have on a mobile phone no matter where it claims to be from, they will stick to their training and company policy even if it's wrong, their job is not at risk that way.
Old Oct 4th 2022, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Score76
The staff at check in/the gate denying you boarding are unlikely to read something you have on a mobile phone no matter where it claims to be from, they will stick to their training and company policy even if it's wrong, their job is not at risk that way.
That is understandable, but a problem for many travellers.
My intention was to contact Easy Jet with some convincing documentation, to try and persuade them to change their incorrect policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.