Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Faro Airport Closed

Faro Airport Closed

Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice
Default Re: Faro Airport Closed

Originally Posted by leesam
Hi All
We had a 8.45pm flight home to Manchester last night.
They check you and your luggage in and then you have to wait around to be called through to security and boarding gate.

There are a couple of cafes open on this side of security and the same at the boarding gates side.

You are not allowed in any other part of the airport and check in gates 1-25 ish are the only ones open as the other side of the airport has also been damaged.
We were very fortunate to only be delayed by about 15 mins and thought under the circumstances the staff were very well organised.
There were some flights delayed though!
Leesam
I went last night, roof over arrivals collapsed... they bus passengers off airport after going through passport and luggage collection. It's going to take some time to fix that roof!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Mrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to all

Just rang Monarch, they say only a 20 min delay tomorrow ?????????????
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

What a jerry built dump. A local squal blows the roof off arrivals and damages
the control tower.

Maybe they will hand back the euro funding for the renovation off this airport.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Nettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mrs titleist
Just rang Monarch, they say only a 20 min delay tomorrow ?????????????
We flew back to Gatwick with Monarch yesterday evening, no delay to speak of, flight left shortly after scheduled time Long queue for security, but nothing like I've seen in some airports who haven't just had a disruption due to unusual weather conditions. I feel the staff coped well - at the end of the day, these things happen and life is too short to get stressed by it all
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

at the end of the day, these things happen and life is too short to get stressed by it all
Absolutely! And I can vouch that that storm was pretty mental, unlike anything I have seen here in a couple of years...it blew the top of a couple of palm trees here.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Nettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really nice

Originally Posted by newintavira
Absolutely! And I can vouch that that storm was pretty mental, unlike anything I have seen here in a couple of years...it blew the top of a couple of palm trees here.
Yes that storm was the worst one I've seen/heard in Tavira - the palm trees down our road were pretty battered too. But Tavira Verde had cleared everything up by the time we returned after lunch.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:42 pm
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough

I've just been at Faro airport and I have new info:

The airport terminal has now been completely closed due to health and safety, and the entire airport is operating out of the tour bus car park, they do check in in the outside car park, put you on a bus and ship you straight to the plane, and off you go

http://www.ana.pt/portal/page/portal...HPND=115576849
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Is it a shambolic nightmare Scott, or is it being well managed?

Any indication of how long this will go on for?

From PT News:

Faro Airport has announced it will be temporarily closing its main terminal from midday today to ensure the safety of passengers and employees following the destruction caused by the strong winds on Monday, taking into account the gale-force winds predicted for today (Wednesday). Check-in and security procedures will be relocated to other parts of the airport and is expected to take twice as long. Passengers should go to car park P6 to be processed. The terminal will remain closed until weather conditions improve and allow it to be safely reopened.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:51 pm
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough

Is it a shambolic nightmare Scott, or is it being well managed?

Any indication of how long this will go on for?

From PT News:

Faro Airport has announced it will be temporarily closing its main terminal from midday today to ensure the safety of passengers and employees following the destruction caused by the strong winds on Monday, taking into account the gale-force winds predicted for today (Wednesday). Check-in and security procedures will be relocated to other parts of the airport and is expected to take twice as long. Passengers should go to car park P6 to be processed. The terminal will remain closed until weather conditions improve and allow it to be safely reopened.
It's actually being handled seemingly well. Things are moving, and flights seem to be taking off/departing with around 1 hour delays. I've seen much worse in the U.K... However, if rain comes, I really feel for the poor people out in the car park.

All the police there told me that the airport would remain shut until the end of the day.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Scott, good to know, have family leaving tomorrow
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:10 pm
I.T Expert - Algarve

Thanks Scott, good to know, have family leaving tomorrow
I am also leaving Faro airport tomorrow for a trip back to the U.K. Just had a text off of EasyJet telling me to allow more time than usual for check in procedures. All flights now leaving are very delayed.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, the wind is certainly picking up outside now! Have a good journey
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

jess852 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Faro Airport Closed

WARNING TO ALL PASSENGERS FLYING FROM FARO AIRPORT. We have been trying to get back to Leeds Bradford since Monday, and we are still stuck in Portugal!

We were supposed to fly on Monday, but when were told delays were inevitable and impossible to predict after the storm the night before, we decided to leave the airport and book new flights for today (travelling with a sick 1 year old baby, we chose not to sit on the floor with the crowds without any definite answer whether the flight would be leaving at all).

Got to the airport at 12 today to find that due to bad weather on the way(again), the government have decided to close the terminals in fear of the roof collapsing even more. Currently, the only way to get to check in is by getting a bus from the carpark where you wait with all other passengers from all other flights. Completely understandable due to weather conditions, but very badly organised.

So we stood in the carpark for 2 hours where we were told to wait for our bus, and assured that there would definitely be one, not to worry. Found some more passengers from our flight, each of which had also asked numerous times about our flight as it was supposed to leave at 13.20. Still stood around at 13.40, with no news. We asked again for news about our flight, and we were told to wait.

At about 14.30 the 16.00 Ryanair Manchester flight was called to board the bus to check in, and we were told that our Ryanair plane had made the decision to leave without all of us. There was nothing anyone could do, and we should probably just go home and book another flight. Another 400 Euros down the drain, and absolutely no news from Ryanair regarding compensation despite phonecalls.

Completely disorganised, and we are now stuck in Portugal for even longer.

If you are planning on flying from Faro, please be aware that for some people it has been an easy enough experience, but this has not been the case for all.

Calling the airport will not help (we were told there were no problems after calling 3 times to check before leaving the house), and the people who are in charge of the buses may be unable to help also. Hopefully this is an isolated case, but please find out as much information as possible before you fly so that you don´t find yourself in the same situation.

Now pretty desperate to get home...
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to all

Well Tombo what a quote its very windy at the mo west of Faro but hey not to worry we have had worse. Just hope everybody makes their flights have a safe return journey and come back soon
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your plight Jess.....seems to me a lot of your problem isn't being helped by Ryanair...if you have to book yet more tickets I would suggest booking with another airline who will hopefully take better care of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.