British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Faro Airport Closed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/faro-airport-closed-736659/)

The Pope Oct 24th 2011 7:36 am

Faro Airport Closed

Hi, Im hearing the airport has been closed due to the adverse weather last night, ie the mega storm??

Someone said parts have been severly damaged due to high winds?

The Pope Oct 24th 2011 7:41 am

Re: Faro Airport Closed

Originally Posted by The Pope (Post 9691902)
Hi, Im hearing the airport has been closed due to the adverse weather last night, ie the mega storm??

Someone said parts have been severly damaged due to high winds?

Yep closed.. nothing in or out.... major delays....

CHOPPER Oct 24th 2011 10:37 am

Part of the roof collapsed, supposedly one person killed and 5 injured.

gedscottish Oct 24th 2011 11:19 am

http://sicnoticias.sapo.pt/pais/2011...te-da-aerogare

:ohmy:looks like it will be closed for a while?!

Jur Oct 24th 2011 11:23 am

Flights have resumed again with 3/4/5 hour delays. I was there 30 min. after it happened, Terminal, roof & carpark took a beating. Glad I missed it!

tednsharon Oct 24th 2011 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 9692140)
Flights have resumed again with 3/4/5 hour delays. I was there 30 min. after it happened, Terminal, roof & carpark took a beating. Glad I missed it!

I was meant to fly in this morning from Birmingham but flight was cancelled and all passengers sent home or offered hotel accommodation and flight re-scheduled for 0620 tomorrow!

Sharon

Jur Oct 24th 2011 2:36 pm

It was a total mess, the arrivals section after customs got trashed with things falling down, there are holes in the roof and it got partially flooded.

Information started up slow, for the first two hours a regular message was broadcasted: "We are sorry for the bad weather, Thank you"

At 08 am they´ve done a check in for the 6 o´clock flight which eventually left at 10.

gedscottish Oct 24th 2011 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 9692433)
Information started up slow, for the first two hours a regular message was broadcasted: "We are sorry for the bad weather, Thank you"

lol apoligising for the bad weather?!:lol: They should apoligise for having such a crap airport! Even Porto's airport puts it to shame!

at least they got it up & running again considering how bad it looks in photos!

Saz1 Oct 24th 2011 3:20 pm

[QUOTE

at least they got it up & running again considering how bad it looks in photos![/QUOTE]

I agree, hats off to them for the speedy turn around, some of the photos are dreadful. Imagine how long it would take to get an airport in the UK back on track :o

Saz

newintavira Oct 24th 2011 3:23 pm

If it were in the UK I imagine right now they'd be waiting for the health and safety police to determine when it would be an idea to start fixing it.

Mike Oct 24th 2011 10:02 pm

One report I read said windows in control tower blown out. Air traffic control with brollies?!

boobella Oct 25th 2011 7:00 am

yes there is to much health and safety in the uk but then you don't see roofs blowing off airports and the windows blown out on air traffic control

questions need to be asked

Mrs titleist Oct 25th 2011 8:04 am

Does anyone know if it is normal service again. my brother is due to fly back on thursday , so I am hoping it will be up and running by then :fingerscrossed:

Jur Oct 25th 2011 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Mrs titleist (Post 9693906)
Does anyone know if it is normal service again. my brother is due to fly back on thursday , so I am hoping it will be up and running by then :fingerscrossed:

The following link is an article about what happened yesterday, they expect to be fully up and running again by the end of the week: http://algarvedailynews.com/news/488...area-collapses

In the article there are things being said how it´s all been handled and it was slow on the information but not as bad as it´s described. Half the airport terminal got ravaged and possibly the trafficcontrol tower and somebody get upset that they did not get a free drink out of it? Get real !:thumbdown:

leesam Oct 25th 2011 5:00 pm

Hi All
We had a 8.45pm flight home to Manchester last night.
They check you and your luggage in and then you have to wait around to be called through to security and boarding gate.

There are a couple of cafes open on this side of security and the same at the boarding gates side.

You are not allowed in any other part of the airport and check in gates 1-25 ish are the only ones open as the other side of the airport has also been damaged.
We were very fortunate to only be delayed by about 15 mins and thought under the circumstances the staff were very well organised.
There were some flights delayed though!
Leesam