Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Expat health insurance

Expat health insurance

Old May 19th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Default Re: Expat health insurance

Originally Posted by mfesharne
My wife & I are UK passport holders but live & hold residencias in Portugal.

We don't pay Portuguese social security & are both in our 50s, both are registered with our local GP here & both get Portuguese NHS free treatment without any problems at all.
Then make alternative plans now....
Old May 19th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike
Then make alternative plans now....
I don't think we need to. We're EU citizens & therefore entitled to the same treatment as any other Portuguese citizen & from our personal experience that beats the hell out of the UK NHS.
Old May 19th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

I don't think we need to. We're EU citizens & therefore entitled to the same treatment as any other Portuguese citizen & from our personal experience that beats the hell out of the UK NHS.
No you aren't. You have been lucky up 'til now. It will end.
Old May 19th 2013, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

http://www.expatfocus.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=26338/
Old May 20th 2013, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough

Well I seem to have kicked over a hornet's nest with this thread! Since I am planning to move to central/western algarve perhaps I should have made that clear since the situation in central or northern PT seems to be different? Looks like I need to have a conversation with our bureaucrats in Newcastle.
Old May 20th 2013, 7:18 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daisyman1951
Well I seem to have kicked over a hornet's nest with this thread! Since I am planning to move to central/western algarve perhaps I should have made that clear since the situation in central or northern PT seems to be different? Looks like I need to have a conversation with our bureaucrats in Newcastle.
I don't think it's a regional thing,more an individual doctors practice thing.
They won't care at all about any directive from Newcastle.
What you could do is be a blood donor,problem solved,they love them and you will definitely get health care.
Old May 20th 2013, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Really?
Old May 20th 2013, 7:28 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daisyman1951
Really?
Yes,they also get a priority ambulance service,whatever that is.
My friends in Algarve have done it for years.
Old May 20th 2013, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Mike

The link you posted is for EHIC cards which we don't have and (IIRC) aren't entitled to because although we're UK passport holders, we emigrated to Portugal from South Africa where we'd spent the last 12 years or so. - I was however under the impression that the EHIC card was only for people who resided in the UK and were visiting other EU countries.

Maybe those things makes a difference but (FWIW) although it took us a while to have the numbers issued, we have our permanent Portuguese NI numbers have both had (more or less) free treatment in the last 12 months and both get discounted drugs on repeat prescriptions........ I've no idea if it affects anything but although we don't receive any UK state pensions yet we do receive private pensions that we opted to take early.

I will look into it but so far we have been told and it looks like we're perfectly entitled to treatment here and if that's the case then I see no need for private cover.

As for giving blood, I'd be more than happy to do that any way but have no idea whatsoever how one goes about doing it here and any advice would be gratefully received.

As far as ambulances are concerned: Although I haven't done it yet, I'm told that one can buy some kind of Bombeiros supporters card for a few Euros a year and that also gives some of supposed preferential treatment with ambulances etc.

Last edited by mfesharne; May 20th 2013 at 8:32 am.
Old May 21st 2013, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chesterfield - Derbyshire & Cabanas as often as possible!
Golfister is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I'm always saying this here, but anyone on the Algarve who doesn't have private healthcare should pay a visit to A&E at the hospital in Faro (hopefully not as a patient obviously!). From personal experience, the private hospital near the airport is a world away.
Old May 31st 2013, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

calmb4the is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cleri
I'm under retirement age.I am registered with the local doctor,but prefer to use the private facilities I'm insured for.We pay € 147 per month for the two of us,and pay ten percent of any costs.Therefore to see a consultant for example costs about nine euros.
We use Multicare.
There are age restrictions.
Having said that,a friend suffered a stroke five weeks ago,and was zoomed to Lisbon,where they looked after him amazingly well,the clot was located within the hour,he regained all functions again and was home in less than a week,he can't speak highly enough of his treatment.
Hi Do you mind telling me what age you are, and does this insurance company cover existing health problems i have, the reason i am asking you age as it is normally more expensive the older you are, thanks
Old May 31st 2013, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Mike

The link you posted is for EHIC cards which we don't have and (IIRC) aren't entitled to because although we're UK passport holders, we emigrated to Portugal from South Africa where we'd spent the last 12 years or so. - I was however under the impression that the EHIC card was only for people who resided in the UK and were visiting other EU countries.

Maybe those things makes a difference but (FWIW) although it took us a while to have the numbers issued, we have our permanent Portuguese NI numbers have both had (more or less) free treatment in the last 12 months and both get discounted drugs on repeat prescriptions........ I've no idea if it affects anything but although we don't receive any UK state pensions yet we do receive private pensions that we opted to take early.

I will look into it but so far we have been told and it looks like we're perfectly entitled to treatment here and if that's the case then I see no need for private cover.

As for giving blood, I'd be more than happy to do that any way but have no idea whatsoever how one goes about doing it here and any advice would be gratefully received.

As far as ambulances are concerned: Although I haven't done it yet, I'm told that one can buy some kind of Bombeiros supporters card for a few Euros a year and that also gives some of supposed preferential treatment with ambulances etc.
Hi , i am sort of the same as you , i left the UK 8 years ago i am a UK citizen i am coming to Portugal soon to live , can i get on there health service for free or do i have to take out private health insurance? and if yes what is the cost of this ? i have not made national health contributions or paid tax in the UK as i get a small company pension and its below my personal tax level there. EHIC card i have no good now there? I keep getting different answers to these questions .ok thanks
Old May 31st 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Are you asking me or Cleri? Moving the subject on a bit, by the time I move out there I will be 62 & apparently I can get an S1 certificate that will last a max of 2.5 years. Then after a break of 6 months I will be 65 & eligable for state pension, so can get another S1 certificate. Uk authorities say that with an S1 medical treatment would be provided. I know some on this forum don't rate the state facilities but is anyone else out there using an S1 certificate?
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Expat health insurance

Over the years I have been in the A&E at Faro with relatives a few times and yes it was like a bomb site with people in various stages of distress lying in trolley beds in corridors, I was in last week and they now have a proper triage area and things are not quite as hectic and nobody lying in corridors.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Hi . I am new to this site. Does anyone know if i have to pay tax on my UK company pension i am 50 years old its under 5000 UK pounds a year, And what is the personal tax allowance in Portugal compared to the UK? And can the Portuguese tax my UK savings that i have in UK bank? And can i pay voluntary national insurance contributions to get the public health service, as i think i get it free for 2 years i think being a UK citizen , but i would like to find out these things before deciding to live permanently or half the year there and keep my UK Tax and NHS rights. thanks hope someone can advice. Its very confusing moving to another country as i am beginning to find out. thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.