Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Oct 21st 2020, 7:09 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by suiko
What about this DVLA Certificate of Authenticity business? I don't have anything like that, and presumably won't be able to get it until I go back to UK?
That was disussed earlier in the thread.

It doesn't apply to the exchange of EU licences. They appear to be using a single form for all circumstances - you only need to send the documents relevant to yours.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Some Health Centres will supply the utente via email. I did this in Tavira. You will need to find an email address (took several tries at this but eventually one worked) and scans of your passport, NIF, CRUE. They then sent back an email with a scan of the utente form completed by them with number on it.

And yes you do need the utente to get the medical reported onto the system by the doctor. If IMT don’t get this you don’t get an appointment to exchange licence.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

I got an Utente number at the Centro de Saúde here in Olhão, without going in, in fact (they wouldn't let anyone in, and ferried my documents inside to photocopy before bringing me out the document with the number).

They said they do not do medicals for trocas de carta de condução anymore, though, and directed me to a private clinic nearby. The doctor gave me a medical there and then, for 40 euros. She gave me a certificate, but I have no idea whether she inputted this into the IMT database, and can't see how she could ossibly have access to any health records, given the circumstances!
Old Oct 21st 2020, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

You should contact them and check that the medical was entered into the system for IMT to cross-check. Without it you won’t get an appointment. It probably is but I have heard of some saying it hasn’t happened. The private clinics usually are well equipped to do this.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

hello again, all

Well, I'm here now, and enjoying it, though haven't actually done any bureaucratic stuff yet... hopefully the atestado tomorrow or Wednesday, if I can persuade my landlords to come along Then appointment at SF in Faro next week to try to sort out my convoluted NIF issue, and after that the big one (establishing residency) in mid October. Well, that's the plan...

I want to exchange my UK licence as soon as possible. I know I can't do this until I have residency, but is it worth emailing for an appointment for after mid October? Do individual IMT offices have their own emails?

Wondering whether it might be better to go for Beja, as I've read a lot about long delays and unresponsiveness in Faro (my nearest office).
I went to Faro to exchange my driving licence. It is 12 months ago and have not received anything. My husband (same type of driving license/ applied the same day) received his driving license in 7 months. Contacted the firm that helped us with the procedure, but there is nothing that I can do ...... only waiting and waiting. Ridiculous! I'm in France since August and I'm not allowed to drive.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geronimal
You should contact them and check that the medical was entered into the system for IMT to cross-check. Without it you won’t get an appointment. It probably is but I have heard of some saying it hasn’t happened. The private clinics usually are well equipped to do this.

Contact them via the same email I used to submit the forms?
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 7:47 pm
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

A quick update on my driving licence situation. I paid the fee and sent off my licence and then got an email today asking me to book a time so they can take my photo and get a copy of my signature. There was a phone number and an e-mail address. I tried the phone number but couldn't get through so sent an email. After an hour I got an SMS saying I had an appointment tomorrow. So things are really moving fast now. So this is confirmation that you do need to go in to see someone, it is not all done online.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

I had my appointment (via the online service) on Monday morning. They took my photo, did not take my licence. I await new Pt licence.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I have been waiting 7 weeks for our licences so don't hold your breath. They have not done anything to speed up the process.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BillBullock
My wife and I have been waiting 7 weeks for our licences so don't hold your breath. They have not done anything to speed up the process.
Well the process has started before the 90 days (and the end of the year) and as I still have my licence I’m in no rush, I’ve done everything from submit the paperwork, pay the fee and have my photo taken, the ball is in their court so to speak.
Further restrictions due to Covid over winter could also affect the process.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfs
A quick update on my driving licence situation. I paid the fee and sent off my licence and then got an email today asking me to book a time so they can take my photo and get a copy of my signature. There was a phone number and an e-mail address. I tried the phone number but couldn't get through so sent an email. After an hour I got an SMS saying I had an appointment tomorrow. So things are really moving fast now. So this is confirmation that you do need to go in to see someone, it is not all done online.
Did you have any form of certification of your licence?

Though on second thoughts I guess that's irrelevant as this was submitted under the old system, right?
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:24 am
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have any form of certification of your licence?

Though on second thoughts I guess that's irrelevant as this was submitted under the old system, right?
My situation is different as I have a Brazilian licence so I needed to get it certified at the Brazilian Consulate. But everything else is the same, and I did all of this under the new system. I sent the email to [email protected] on 06/10/20.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow, that is really quick! I haven't heard anything yet.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this but need to double-check. I just called my private clinic to make an appointment to see the general dr for the medical exam to exchange my U.K. licence. The receptionist told me I don’t need to see the dr but an optometrist. I am going to call back again when the English-speaking receptionist is there, but what does anyone think? Am I correct to insist it’s a dr I need? I am only in my mid-40s, if this makes a difference.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Another query, if anyone can help. I’m confused whether I also need a psychological certification in order to drive my vehicle. It’s a 2.5l crew cab pick-up. The log book says: national Category - ligeiro, but Type of Vehicle - mercadoria, so does this, or not, class as category C - mercadorias up to 7500kg, which I believe does require the extra exam?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.