Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Oct 13th 2020, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

I presume that given some sort of Brexit deal coming out, that the UK has this bilateral agreement with Portugal?
So why are Brits rushing to change their licenses before 31st Dec 2020??
Old Oct 13th 2020, 9:25 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Because there's a big regime change about to occur, where Brits already resident come under one set of rules and those not yet resident under completely another. The new rules, even if they appear "more generous", will not apply to existing residents, who must tidy up loose ends in the approved fashion.

So far, all I've seen says that UK citizens resident in PT must exchange their licences by, or shortly after, the end of the transition period. I suppose it's vaguley possible that something else on driving licences might come out of the Brexit agreement which has some different bearing on the matter but right now it looks unlikely. At the beginning of the process, a lot was open to the UK which they since seem to have chosen to close off in favour of a narrow arrangement principally surrounding the trading of goods, hence the lack of continuity on such matters.

Old Oct 13th 2020, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

But for sure makes life easier, if only for 2 years, for those that live a dual life in Portugal and the UK. Removing the insurance issue in the UK for non UK driving license holders.
Just teh added problem of applying for residence after Brexit with the extra admin and questions
Old Oct 13th 2020, 1:13 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a great deal of potential for confusion for the here-and-theres to run up against.

I'm glad my own arrangements are nice and straightforward, and absolutely, undeniably unambiguous.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone have experience of driving a Portuguese car in the UK with Portuguese insurance?
Is that allowed for say a 3 month period in the UK??
Old Oct 16th 2020, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Applied for my appointment at Faro/Beja literally the day before the new online procedure came out, and sure enough yesterday I got an email saying I had to apply online.

Do I understand from the above that I now have 2 years from date of residency certificate to do this, rather than 90 days?
Old Oct 16th 2020, 5:53 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by suiko
Do I understand from the above that I now have 2 years from date of residency certificate to do this, rather than 90 days?
That's not my understanding, no.

In my view, if you've become resident before the end of the withdrawal period, you have 60 days in which to either register or exchange your UK driving licence. As the IMT are saying they'll no longer register UK licences, that leaves you with no option but exchanging. Failing to do so within the allowed timespan could leave you liable to sitting a PT driving test.

The other regime will be for people becoming resident after 1st Jan as non EU citizens.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would the test required include the Oral part or just actual driving?
Old Oct 16th 2020, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, Eric! I thought as much. Better get it under way as soon as I've registered.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right. A productive day... I now have residency and a SNS Utente number. Also had a (private - SNS doesn't do this anymore, at least in Algarve) medical for the IMT's purposes.

So I think I am ready to send off the stuff to IMT. The form is MOD37IMT_TrocasTESTE, right?

I guess I can just attach the medical certificate? What about this DVLA Certificate of Authenticity business? I don't have anything like that, and presumably won't be able to get it until I go back to UK?
Old Oct 19th 2020, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Right. A productive day... I now have residency and a SNS Utente number. Also had a (private - SNS doesn't do this anymore, at least in Algarve) medical for the IMT's purposes.

So I think I am ready to send off the stuff to IMT. The form is MOD37IMT_TrocasTESTE, right?

I guess I can just attach the medical certificate? What about this DVLA Certificate of Authenticity business? I don't have anything like that, and presumably won't be able to get it until I go back to UK?
Even a private doctor needs to be authorized to do the medical so it should be automatically processed to IMT.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, I asked at the Centro de Saúde about a clinic, and they sent me across the road to the "Olhao International Clinic". No idea whether they sent anything off - though they were clearly thoroughly used to the procedure. They gave me a printout and I paid me 40 euros!
Old Oct 19th 2020, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

planky is an unknown quantity at this point

"Also had a (private - SNS doesn't do this anymore, at least in Algarve) medical for the IMT's"............Not strictly true - SNS in some Algarve areas still does, but it takes weeks....
Old Oct 19th 2020, 7:14 pm
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

I applied to change my Brazilian licence for a Portuguese one via the new email address on 06/10. I got a reply today asking to send a scanned copy of my NIF. After I sent it I then I got another email 4 hours later with the details on how to pay the 30 euros, you have to wait 24 hours before paying as the information is not in the banking system yet. Then I got another email asking me to send my original driving licence and consular certificate of authenticity (because it is not an EU licence) by registered mail direct to IMT. So looks like things are finally moving. My nearest IMT is Porto but all contact today has been from IMT Aveiro so looks like they are spreading the workload around the different offices
Old Oct 21st 2020, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planky
"Also had a (private - SNS doesn't do this anymore, at least in Algarve) medical for the IMT's"............Not strictly true - SNS in some Algarve areas still does, but it takes weeks....
Have been looking into this and have been told by a few clinics that only private doctors will carry out the medical and you still need a SNS numero de Utente to have it done by the private doctor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.