Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Jan 27th 2021, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

This morning I got a generic reply from IMT following my submission of required documents along with Mod. 37 on 22 December.

" Dear UserPlease confirm that you have already submitted your request in the new form http://www.imtonline.pt/index.php/tr...submission108cand if you have received an order number, you must proceed as follows, as appropriate:

You have an order number - You must wait until you are contacted by an IMT team. The processes are being registered in order of entry.

No order number - Should be submitted through the following link http://www.imtonline.pt/index.php/tr...submission108c .

More information that you should keep / conserve the emails identified and sent by you, in case it is necessary to prove the intention of the request to change your driving license, within the legal deadlines."

when one clicks on either link, it goes to this page, headed 'Order Submission' -
"
Accesson here, fill in the form and submit with the following documentation / Acess here, fill out and submit with the following documents:

- Certificate of Authenticity / Certificate of Authenticity
- Copy of identification document / Copy of the ID document
- Copy of driving license / Copy of the Driving License
- Psychological Assessment Certificate (if applicable ) / Psychological Assessment Certificate (if applicable)
- If requested by a lawyer, solicitor or agency, you must present the respective proxy / If requested by a lawyer, solicito or agency, you must submit your power of attorney

When one clicks on the above 'Here' links, it goes to a page saying 'This form is currently unavailable'.

The 'here' links below just go to an enquiry submission page.

"To request INFORMATION you must access on here / For INFORMATION requests, please access here"

Has anyone received such a reply, directing to completion of another (new) form and uploading all the documents again? The new form I have been directed to complete is titled "

REQUEST TO EXCHANGE FOREIGN DRIVING TITLES V2"

When I submitted Mod 37 with attached documents on 22 December, I subsequently received no 'order number' referred to above, just an automated response, acknowledging receipt.

EDIT - I've just noticed at the bottom of this new form (enabled with document upload ) it says Mod 37.

Has anybody else here been requested to complete this new Mod 37, after previously submitting old version?

Last edited by campos; Jan 27th 2021 at 1:01 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I've never received any conformation since I sent the requested certificate of entitlement,no comms at all!
Was going to wait until next week then contact as for all I know they haven't received it
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
I've never received any conformation since I sent the requested certificate of entitlement,no comms at all!
Was going to wait until next week then contact as for all I know they haven't received it
Did you submit Mod 37 like me, the old PDF and attach the various docs in email? When did you submit?
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is it just coincidence that it's just over 60 days since I got residency and IMT are now asking me to apply again?
Seems I have no option than to complete the new form and upload again the docs requested. I can simultaneously write to the IMT mentioning my original Mod 37 submission was well within 60 days.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Weird. I submitted mine in October (and again in November as I forgot the reverse of the licence), and never had an email like this, asking me to apply again.

What to do?!
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suiko
Weird. I submitted mine in October (and again in November as I forgot the reverse of the licence), and never had an email like this, asking me to apply again.

What to do?!
Seemingly a bit weird , yes. But I believe you've proceeded more than me? Didn't you have a further correspondence, requesting the DVLA form and/or the 30euro payment? Or not?
Old Jan 27th 2021, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

No, nothing at all beyond the automatic email.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
Did you submit Mod 37 like me, the old PDF and attach the various docs in email? When did you submit?
I did, I submitted everything initially except the certificate as at the time there was still confusion as to whether needed (see many earlier posts)

I received email requesting payment and certificate.
Payment made and 3weeks later posted the certificate.

Since then nothing, no confirmation of receipt etc
Old Jan 27th 2021, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suiko
No, nothing at all beyond the automatic email.
You could be OK if you've not received this new email with new Mod37. Esp since you applied way before me.

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
I did, I submitted everything initially except the certificate as at the time there was still confusion as to whether needed (see many earlier posts)

I received email requesting payment and certificate.
Payment made and 3weeks later posted the certificate.

Since then nothing, no confirmation of receipt etc
Yes, their use of the term 'authenticity ' certificate was misinterpreted I remember. I still uploaded this from DVLA, and my residence cert with the new submission. Plus the medical cert., which the Dr has already submitted previously. Jeez!
Old Jan 28th 2021, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

I made the payment requested before Christmas and got an email confirming payment received but not a temp licence as advised when I first called IMT. So I called again and was told I would be emailed a temp licence once I posted in my U.K. licence and other docs requested. So I did that before Christmas, too - sent via CTT registered with postal notification of delivery. I’ve recently received the CTT notification that it was delivered 28 Dec, although I am waiting to hear from CTT exactly where it was delivered to as the address given on their online tracking seems to say their own sorting office in Braganca rather than IMT! I’ve also emailed IMT Braganca to check it was received - no reply after 2 weeks, so yesterday emailed the troca.estrangeiros email address, see if I can get a response from there... I’ve not had the email from IMT that Campos is talking about re the new form, perhaps because I already paid and have a process number. All fun and games, eh, this not having a licence to speak of!
Old Jan 29th 2021, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Update from me: yesterday received and email from IMT Bragança confirming that my exchange of licence has been granted and I will receive my new PT licence to my address shortly (although, having confirmed with DVLA that I only took a test for category B, they advised that I will only be granted category B & B1 - fine). N.b. I found the email in my Junk folder, so keep an eye out in there, those of you still waiting. I applied by email on 30 Nov, had payment and original docs requested - and paid/sent them - by 23 Dec, and docs were delivered by CTT on 28 Dec.

Amusingly (you could call it...) yesterday’s email attached what I assume is my temp licence for the interim with an end date of....today!! I guess that makes it to cover 2 months from my application date but I only got it yesterday. When I queried this I was advised that if I wanted to ‘renew’ the temp licence (guia) they could arrange an appointment for me with my local IMT. I politely reminded them that we are in a pandemic and a lockdown, and my driving 45 mins to my ‘local’ IMT to ‘renew’ a temp licence I’d had for 1 day was probably not wise or even legal, especially as I hold no physical entitlement to drive!! And could they not just re-issue it from there with longer validity?...I have yet to hear further on that one....

Breath not being held here.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

One more interesting point - my temp licence showed the photo and signature taken by IMT when I registered my U.K. licence with them back in 2016. As I’ve been advised my new licence is on the way, and not having been advised that I need to go to an IMT office to give my biometrics again (I think I recall also having my fingerprints taken at that time; I may be wrong) I’m assuming they are issuing the licence on the back of the biometrics previously taken and filed. Maybe a point of interest for those waiting who also previously registered their licence. Although the whole process seems entirely random, anyway.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
Update from me: yesterday received and email from IMT Bragança confirming that my exchange of licence has been granted and I will receive my new PT licence to my address shortly (although, having confirmed with DVLA that I only took a test for category B, they advised that I will only be granted category B & B1 - fine). N.b. I found the email in my Junk folder, so keep an eye out in there, those of you still waiting. I applied by email on 30 Nov, had payment and original docs requested - and paid/sent them - by 23 Dec, and docs were delivered by CTT on 28 Dec.

Amusingly (you could call it...) yesterday’s email attached what I assume is my temp licence for the interim with an end date of....today!! I guess that makes it to cover 2 months from my application date but I only got it yesterday. When I queried this I was advised that if I wanted to ‘renew’ the temp licence (guia) they could arrange an appointment for me with my local IMT. I politely reminded them that we are in a pandemic and a lockdown, and my driving 45 mins to my ‘local’ IMT to ‘renew’ a temp licence I’d had for 1 day was probably not wise or even legal, especially as I hold no physical entitlement to drive!! And could they not just re-issue it from there with longer validity?...I have yet to hear further on that one....

Breath not being held here.
Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
One more interesting point - my temp licence showed the photo and signature taken by IMT when I registered my U.K. licence with them back in 2016. As I’ve been advised my new licence is on the way, and not having been advised that I need to go to an IMT office to give my biometrics again (I think I recall also having my fingerprints taken at that time; I may be wrong) I’m assuming they are issuing the licence on the back of the biometrics previously taken and filed. Maybe a point of interest for those waiting who also previously registered their licence. Although the whole process seems entirely random, anyway.
Good news then Mac and Mabel. Will keep an eye on spam folder.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

You couldn't make it up Mac and Mabel. Meantime my wife and I have been waiting since 1 September 2020 for our plastic licences and our paper substitutes expire at the end of 6 months, ie 28 February 2021. I will have to make appointments again for us to visit IMT Faro as advised by email when I tried to sort out an extension online. The Faro office don't issue extensions by email which could be done so easily.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Well, well, I did IMT Bragança a disservice - further email response just now received, advises that the decree law covering this current state of emergency declares that documents expiring during the period - inc driving licences - are considered to remain valid until 31st March. That might help you out for now, Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.