Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Aug 27th 2021, 1:41 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by wellinever
Typical attitude....what are they gonna do when the EU decides on a single language to be used (or is that too much?), cause it wont be Portuguese
A single language for what? You mean everybody in all the member states speaking the one language? I don't think that's ever been mooted and I imagine its completely out of the question, given the commitment to diversity and multlingualism.

Originally Posted by Geronimal
I’m sure I read a press communication from the EU that stated French will become the approved standard language for the EU and not English as it had been. Thank heavens it won’t be Portuguese.
I suspect what you're referring to is the French government planning to replace English with French as the official working language of the EU when France has the presidency of the Council of the European Union in 2022. This would mean - for that 6 month period - meetings of the Council being conducted in French rather than English, notes and minutes being French first, and the expectation that communications from the EU Commission to the Council be in French.

Anything that's published, of course, will continue to be available in all the official languages of the EU, just as it is now with English as the official working language.

This has nothing at all to do with what language or languages public servants in any of the member states are obliged to know or use when interacting with members of the public.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Campos, someone I know received an sms at 18.00 a few weeks back 'reminding' him of his appt next day with IMT Faro at 10.00. He didn't spot the sms until too late the next morning. In any case, this was the first he had heard of it. If you are still awaiting your appointment, keep an eye on your phone! When he eventually got another appointment, he was in and out in 10 mins (in fact they were a bit grumpy as he was quite early and they don't have much space). The employee dealing with him was unhelpful and would not speak English. However this changed once she realised that she could be sitting there some time if she didn't relent!! If it helps, IMT is easy to drive to and there is quite a bit of easy parking just a little further up the road beyond it in some little squares.