Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Jun 28th 2021, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Zulu15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Hi, could you advise, once IMT send you a receipt , with all your details , but not having a photograph or their signature (say's valid until 14-08-2021)by email,are you supposed to send the receipt back by email , signed , or just hold onto this until they contact you. Sorry unable to upload a copy of my receipt.
Any advise , would be appreciated
Thankyou
Old Jun 28th 2021, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Abdc21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zulu15
Hi, could you advise, once IMT send you a receipt , with all your details , but not having a photograph or their signature (say's valid until 14-08-2021)by email,are you supposed to send the receipt back by email , signed , or just hold onto this until they contact you. Sorry unable to upload a copy of my receipt.
Any advise , would be appreciated
Thankyou
Hi Zulu15,
this depends on what stage you are at in the process. Is this for your temporary licence, following submission of your GB licence? If yes , from recollection, then they will also be asking where you want to get your biometrics taken. Apart from that I don’t remember ever needing to send a receipt back to them. Hope this makes sense.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Zulu15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ABDC21,
Yes this is the receipt after I submitted my UK Driving license .
Your advice much appreciated , was over thinking things I think, but just wanted to be sure .
It's taken me 5 months and over 17 emails , when the request came through they gave me 10 days (9 actually after payment) to submit and they require the original confirmation from DVLA .
So for anyone starting the application , ensure you have the original DVLA confirmation in your hands ready.
Thanks for your help , much appreciated

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to revive this thread ...

On the issue of contacting the IMT by 'phone- has anyone : a) ever spoken to someone before the queue times out? and, if so, b) spoken to anyone in English.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

The IMT office in Faro never answer the phone, I don't think.

They are also extremely unwilling to speak English and even unwilling to repeat what they said in Portuguese. The only time, in fact, I have experienced quite such an attitude. I was thoroughly polite and as always only spoke Portuguese, and they rolled their eyes extravagently and told me that if I was living in Portugal I should speak Portuguese well enough not to need anything repeating. Hope you have better luck!
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the kind of attitudes I can imagine from them
I called the national number 210488488. I chose option 3, as I think she mentioned foreigners or foreign licences. But possibly not!
My UK licence was sent somewhere up north IIRC.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko

They are also extremely unwilling to speak English and even unwilling to repeat what they said in Portuguese. The only time, in fact, I have experienced quite such an attitude. I was thoroughly polite and as always only spoke Portuguese, and they rolled their eyes extravagently and told me that if I was living in Portugal I should speak Portuguese well enough not to need anything repeating. Hope you have better luck!
My wife had the same experience in the Faro office and she left the office crying. They are very, very rude even if you try your best Portuguese. I complained in writing to the Lisbon head office and, within a few weeks, her Portuguese license arrived in the post, 11 months after application. Needless to say, there was no apology for the rudeness or the unnecessary delay in exchanging the license. .
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suiko

Originally Posted by BillBullock
My wife had the same experience in the Faro office and she left the office crying. They are very, very rude even if you try your best Portuguese. I complained in writing to the Lisbon head office and, within a few weeks, her Portuguese license arrived in the post, 11 months after application. Needless to say, there was no apology for the rudeness or the unnecessary delay in exchanging the license. .
Someone needs to go in there with a hidden camera to record this; then put it on social media.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m2m2012
Someone needs to go in there with a hidden camera to record this; then put it on social media.
then i am afraid they will be arrested as that would be iilegal in portugal.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

I have never gone to Faro myself nor my husband as we have always used an agency. However, our friends have done their renewals on their own several times (we are all over 70) and say they have never had a problem. They do not speak Portuguese and they both renewed their licences earlier this year. Luck of the draw?

The agency did my husband's earlier this month and he got the paper receipt back. Last year mine was due and I got the paper but my plastic card arrived perhaps a month later.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Typical attitude....what are they gonna do when the EU decides on a single language to be used (or is that too much?), cause it wont be Portuguese
Old Aug 27th 2021, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wellinever
Typical attitude....what are they gonna do when the EU decides on a single language to be used (or is that too much?), cause it wont be Portuguese
I’m sure I read a press communication from the EU that stated French will become the approved standard language for the EU and not English as it had been. Thank heavens it won’t be Portuguese.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

But if they had half a brain they would choose English
Old Aug 27th 2021, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wellinever
You've come across this behaviour before?

I've spent a lot of time in Eastern and South-Eastern Europe and I cannot remember locals expecting foreigners to speak Bulgarian, Hungarian or Greek. Maybe they might get a bit frustrated but I cannot imagine anyone being nasty about it.

What explains this ill will in Portugal?
Old Aug 27th 2021, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m2m2012
You've come across this behaviour before?

I've spent a lot of time in Eastern and South-Eastern Europe and I cannot remember locals expecting foreigners to speak Bulgarian, Hungarian or Greek. Maybe they might get a bit frustrated but I cannot imagine anyone being nasty about it.

What explains this ill will in Portugal?
I think it is just the disgruntled staff in the Faro office of IMT. For some reason, they developed a huge backlog of applications for the exchange of UK licenses. Many people have been waiting more than a year and still do not have their plastic license. We waited 9 and 11 months for ours. Meantime we were overtaken by people applying online in late 2020. Inside information, which I cannot follow up because it would affect the employee, stated that there were boxes of applications sitting in a cupboard which were being ignored whilst new applications were being dealt with. I complained to the Lisbon office and eventually I received mine but I had to do it again when my wife's license was still not delivered 2 months' later. I put the problem down to lack of effective management and/or some sort of staff problems in the Faro office.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.