Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Exchanging Driving Licence - too late? :-(

Exchanging Driving Licence - too late? :-(

Old Feb 21st 2021, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

sam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the rough
Default Exchanging Driving Licence - too late? :-(

Hi,

I’ve been living in Portugal for just over 3 years and while i registered for residency, NIF, medical etc, I never got round to exchanging my driving licence.. and now fear that i’m too late to exchange my driving licence. My bad, i should have been more organised

There’s so much information on the web, this forum, the UK Government website and the IMT site, i’m at at loss. Some say you need to do it within 2 years of residency or you’re too late, some say within 60 days of residency (at least to get a temporary Portuguese licence), and others say you can exchange within 90 days of 31st Dec 2020 (ie 31 March 2021).

Has anyone had any experience of this - i’m not sure if the 2 year rules are strictly enforced by IMT or would i be OK… or am i too late and my only option is now to sit a full Portuguese driving test?

Thank-you.

Sam
Old Feb 21st 2021, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging Driving Licence - too late? :-(

If you have a UK driving licence and they stick to what is written in law you are too late, 30/12/20 was the cut-off date in your situation.
http://www.imtonline.pt/index.php/tr...d-situation-13
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

31/12/20 not 30/12/20.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Sam349. Have a go by applying online. You never know your luck (or otherwise) in Portugal. We applied on 1 Sep 20 and are still waiting 6 months' later. We have been overtaken by others who applied in late December. IMT are in chaos, at least in the Faro office. Good luck.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

sam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the input, guys.

I'm sort of tempted to try my luck and apply now (I'm near Faro, where you mention "chaos" - i've heard that from others), but I noticed on the form that you have to give the date when you became resident (and for me, that's 3 years ago) so I suspect The Computer will automatically say "no" (or an admin person).

If I do apply is it Form IMT 13 or IMT 39 - i think i've seen both referenced. Thank-you!
Old Mar 12th 2021, 4:42 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

How did you get on with this Sam?
Old Mar 12th 2021, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to a insurance agent today on behalf of a friend who has been a resident for a good few years who has not bothered to exchange his licence,the question was is my friends insurance valid, he was very awkward with his response,after await for ten mins he said no
Old Mar 12th 2021, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi - i've been too scared to do anything. I was going to apply - just to give it a go (as BillBullock suggested), but then fear got to me! Just in case I applied and got refused and then it suddenly all snowballs into IMT saying "you are banned from driving because of not registering within 2 years and you're on our system now, so we'll watching out for you!" It probably wouldn't go like that, but i'm not sure - plus i saw the law / rules where it pretty clearly stated if you don't apply within 2 years of getting residency then you have to take a new driving test. I was also thinking of contacting the UK Embassy about it.

Urgh. it's so frustrating - I know it's my own fault, so i'm frustrated with myself.

That's interesting about the insurance.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

makes sense if your driving illegaly then your insurance would be invalid
Old Mar 13th 2021, 8:43 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm insured with Abbeygate. When I took out the insurance they asked me to email in a scan of my driving licence. I think they'd have a hard time arguing they didn't know about that.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

if your a resident and you did not excahage befor 31/12/20 the your uk license will be invalid
Old Mar 13th 2021, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Artfuldodger128 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone been through a driving test in Portugal? Is it all in Portuguese?
Old Mar 13th 2021, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128
why would it not be?
Old Mar 13th 2021, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128
Yes, it is all in Portuguese as far as I know and I see no reason for this to be otherwise.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 7:51 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

There's provision in the law for the theory test to be translated but no mention of the practical that I can see.

In this situation you wouldn't be sitting a theory test of course, so not particularly relevant unless there's a straw to be clutched at there for further enquiry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.