Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Exchanging Driving Licence - eye test? and IMT or Camara Municipal?

Exchanging Driving Licence - eye test? and IMT or Camara Municipal?

Old Jul 14th 2020, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Benjiman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchanging Driving Licence - eye test? and IMT or Camara Municipal?

Hiya, Any help with this would be gratefully received:
We recently had a doctor's appointment to get medical certificates in order to exchange our UK driving licences. We came away with the signed certificates but we were told a couple of things by the medical staff that we weren't expecting:
1. We now needed to go to an opticians in order to get a eye test. (Even though the doctor asked if we wore glasses and we confirmed we didn't.)
2. We then needed to go to the Camara Municipal. (I questioned this with two different people saying I thought it should be IMT not the Camara, and they were both quite definite in saying first we had to go to the Camara Municipal and afterwards to IMT.)
Can anyone throw any light on this?
Do we need a separate eye test? And should we go to the Camara first or just make an appointment with IMT?
Many thanks, Ben
Old Jul 14th 2020, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging Driving Licence - eye test? and IMT or Camara Municipal?

If you don't wear glasses normally, did they say you have to go to the optician because the doctor found a deficiency in your eyesight - did you look at a chart on the wall of his office for instance? Perhaps you do need glasses for driving?
What are you to do at the Camara? Is it for a EU citizen's Residency Cert? or have you already got that?
Old Jul 14th 2020, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Benjiman is an unknown quantity at this point

The doctor didn't do an eye test and we don't need glasses for driving.
We already have residency certificates. We explained we wanted the medical certificate in order to exchange our UK driving licences. I thought we had to go to IMT, but they were adamant the next step was the Camara! I couldn't understand what for.
My US friend told me this morning that he didn't have an eye test before exchanging his licence and he definitely went to IMT, not the Camara... It's just a bit confusing. It often seems to take a long time in the various offices, so I'd prefer not to include extra steps nor miss essential ones. I'm sure you understand!
Old Jul 14th 2020, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Pgmills is an unknown quantity at this point

You do not need a separate eye test and yes IMT is the next stop. You will need to make an appointment as they don’t do walk ins now.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 9:16 am
Time is always a problem

jogl will become famous soon enoughjogl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pgmills
You do not need a separate eye test and yes IMT is the next stop. You will need to make an appointment as they don’t do walk ins now.
I have looked high and low but with no success so is it possible you can tell me how to make an appointment at IMT Faro?

Thank you
Old Jul 15th 2020, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Pgmills is an unknown quantity at this point

You can ring 289 870 130
Old Jul 15th 2020, 12:08 pm
Time is always a problem

jogl will become famous soon enoughjogl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pgmills
You can ring 289 870 130
Thank you