British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Entering restaurants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/entering-restaurants-942175/)

borisface Jan 3rd 2022 2:04 pm

Entering restaurants

My brother in law is going to be visiting us from Thursday 6 Jan for a week or so. He is fully vaccinated but his vaccines were administered in Australia. If we go out for a meal is his Australian vaccine certificate going to be accepted and if not will a self-test be sufficient or will he need to get a lab test. I must admit I've tried looking this up but I only have three degrees including a Doctorate from the University of Oxford so clearly am not sufficiently bright to decipher how the rules apply to him.

ShazD Jan 3rd 2022 2:11 pm

Re: Entering restaurants

:rofl: Head spinning stuff! Anyway, it seems that eating outside on terraces, no PCR/antigen necessary and showing his Australian certificate should suffice. If wanting to eat indoors, PCR/antigen certificate needed, but some establishments will accept a self-administered test performed outside the restaurant...wait half an hour for negative result. BUT, many people are phoning restaurants in advance to find out (for sure) what they will actually accept. Good luck!

toots sweet Jan 3rd 2022 3:29 pm

Heads gone round 360 degrees with these rules! Am I right in thinking that this is just until the 9th of this month and then we revert to just showing our certs to enter a restaurant and don't have to take a test?

Andyj100 Jan 3rd 2022 3:46 pm

While we are on the subject, I'm hoping to come to Porto on Wednesday. I'll have an official rapid antigen test less than 48 hours before getting on the plane...do you have to test DAILY in Portugal for restaurants, or every few days?

Jon-Bxl Jan 6th 2022 10:21 am

Originally Posted by borisface (Post 13085875)
My brother in law is going to be visiting us from Thursday 6 Jan for a week or so. He is fully vaccinated but his vaccines were administered in Australia. If we go out for a meal is his Australian vaccine certificate going to be accepted and if not will a self-test be sufficient or will he need to get a lab test. I must admit I've tried looking this up but I only have three degrees including a Doctorate from the University of Oxford so clearly am not sufficiently bright to decipher how the rules apply to him.

Oxford isn't what it used to be!! :)

I agree the problem is that rules can change so quickly. I mentioned on another thread the problems I had when Portugal introduced a negative test to cross the border even to the fully vaccinated. I got several friends telling me I was wrong, sending me links to the press. I was correct, and even the press got it wrong.

At the closed border as soon as I mentioned that we were coming from Spain (we rented a car from Faro with PT plates ) we were sent to a 2nd control with a 'professional' from SEF (PT border control) very nice guy, but confirmed that the -ve test was needed ... he even told us not to bin the test till returning home, in case the check in staff refused boarding
The moral of the story is always check the official government site, take a lead from the forum or press... But always double check from the 'horses mouth'
I hear that the rules have changed again, but not bothering to look till we go back..... For sure the rules will gave changed!!

A good way to get to the official government site is to go to the UK Fgov site.

Click on the country you are interested in, and it will give you a summary, but even better a link to the official government site for that country
Jon