Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

English speaking accountant recommendations

English speaking accountant recommendations

Old Feb 18th 2022, 3:32 pm
  #16  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2022
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3
happy_pt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

Not sure if you are still looking, but I've used RHJ Accountants with decent results, after lots of crazy quotes they offered fairly 'local' rates and have an office in UK and Porto, so they understand the two countries well. For me that experience was pretty important having been massively overcharged before for the simplest of tasks (if you could read governmental level Portuguese)
happy_pt is offline  
Old May 26th 2022, 11:38 am
  #17  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, US and Porto, Portugal
Posts: 29
Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

I am looking for an English-speaking accountant in Porto. I sent a message to RHJ via their website and in three business days have received no response. So I am writing them off and would appreciate other recommendations...
Sri Pete is offline  
Old May 26th 2022, 8:00 pm
  #18  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 10,907
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

Originally Posted by Sri Pete View Post
I am looking for an English-speaking accountant in Porto. I sent a message to RHJ via their website and in three business days have received no response. So I am writing them off and would appreciate other recommendations...
If you are expecting a reply to an email, let alone in a matter of days, then I think you might have issues in Portugal..........

Rule 1) Don't expect things to be as you expect.
Rule 2) Never ask the same question of two officials and expect to get the same answer.
Rule 3) Never ask the same question twice of the same official and expect to get the same answer.
Rule 5) If there is no complaints book, make a complaint.
Rule 4) Deixe lá

macliam is offline  
Old May 27th 2022, 11:40 am
  #19  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, US and Porto, Portugal
Posts: 29
Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

Thank you, macliam. I am learning!
Sri Pete is offline  
Old May 27th 2022, 12:48 pm
  #20  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 10,907
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

Originally Posted by Sri Pete View Post
Thank you, macliam. I am learning!
The last is the most important.... it is the Portuguese equivalent of mañana and it applies to everything.

If you use the expression "speed is of the essence" you will get a blank, or perhaps pitying look, you may be told "of course"...... and then absolutely nothing will happen for a plethora of reasons.....

Your email is awaiting an answer, but, deixa-lá....... it's early, lunchtime, late, Friday . Monday ,close to a feriado, almost August, nearly Christmas, etc., etc.


macliam is offline  
Old May 27th 2022, 7:24 pm
  #21  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, US and Porto, Portugal
Posts: 29
Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

I finally did get a response from RHJ. And since I have come up with no other candidates, I am going to try them.
Sri Pete is offline  
Old Jun 1st 2022, 10:57 am
  #22  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2021
Location: Peniche
Posts: 540
Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
The last is the most important.... it is the Portuguese equivalent of mañana and it applies to everything.

If you use the expression "speed is of the essence" you will get a blank, or perhaps pitying look, you may be told "of course"...... and then absolutely nothing will happen for a plethora of reasons.....

Your email is awaiting an answer, but, deixa-lá....... it's early, lunchtime, late, Friday . Monday ,close to a feriado, almost August, nearly Christmas, etc., etc.
Got a new accountant this year, as our previous one was fully booked(!). After initial discussion, she had been out of contact for a couple of weeks so I sent a WhatsApp, then a few days later an email, then a few days later another WhatsApp... Three messages over the course of nine days, but just a friendly "Hello, all OK? Need any more info?" as I learned that displays of impatience at lack of action are not always productive!

Finally got a reply at 11:30 last night to say "Hello, I started work on it but have not finished yet, I'll let you know soon"
Alan PT is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2022, 1:06 pm
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Location: Greater Lisbon
Posts: 261
SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

Originally Posted by Alan PT View Post
Got a new accountant this year, as our previous one was fully booked(!). After initial discussion, she had been out of contact for a couple of weeks so I sent a WhatsApp, then a few days later an email, then a few days later another WhatsApp... Three messages over the course of nine days, but just a friendly "Hello, all OK? Need any more info?" as I learned that displays of impatience at lack of action are not always productive!

Finally got a reply at 11:30 last night to say "Hello, I started work on it but have not finished yet, I'll let you know soon"
Us poor people don't need no accountants

Second consecutive tax return done all by myself, with modest refund of some of the tax retained at source
SgtTroy is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2022, 1:28 pm
  #24  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2021
Location: Peniche
Posts: 540
Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

Originally Posted by SgtTroy View Post
Us poor people don't need no accountants

Second consecutive tax return done all by myself, with modest refund of some of the tax retained at source
I'm fairly confident I could do it if I had to, we don't have anything complex. But I'm happy to pay the princely sum of 30 euro for some professional reassurance
Alan PT is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2022, 1:29 pm
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Location: Greater Lisbon
Posts: 261
SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

Originally Posted by Alan PT View Post
I'm fairly confident I could do it if I had to, we don't have anything complex. But I'm happy to pay the princely sum of 30 euro for some professional reassurance
The accountant getting it wrong - priceless 😎
SgtTroy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.