Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

English speaking accountant recommendations

English speaking accountant recommendations

Old Feb 18th 2022, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

happy_pt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English speaking accountant recommendations

Not sure if you are still looking, but I've used RHJ Accountants with decent results, after lots of crazy quotes they offered fairly 'local' rates and have an office in UK and Porto, so they understand the two countries well. For me that experience was pretty important having been massively overcharged before for the simplest of tasks (if you could read governmental level Portuguese)
Old May 26th 2022, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking for an English-speaking accountant in Porto. I sent a message to RHJ via their website and in three business days have received no response. So I am writing them off and would appreciate other recommendations...
Old May 26th 2022, 8:00 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sri Pete
I am looking for an English-speaking accountant in Porto. I sent a message to RHJ via their website and in three business days have received no response. So I am writing them off and would appreciate other recommendations...
If you are expecting a reply to an email, let alone in a matter of days, then I think you might have issues in Portugal..........

Rule 1) Don't expect things to be as you expect.
Rule 2) Never ask the same question of two officials and expect to get the same answer.
Rule 3) Never ask the same question twice of the same official and expect to get the same answer.
Rule 5) If there is no complaints book, make a complaint.
Rule 4) Deixe lá

Old May 27th 2022, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, macliam. I am learning!
Old May 27th 2022, 12:48 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sri Pete
Thank you, macliam. I am learning!
The last is the most important.... it is the Portuguese equivalent of mañana and it applies to everything.

If you use the expression "speed is of the essence" you will get a blank, or perhaps pitying look, you may be told "of course"...... and then absolutely nothing will happen for a plethora of reasons.....

Your email is awaiting an answer, but, deixa-lá....... it's early, lunchtime, late, Friday . Monday ,close to a feriado, almost August, nearly Christmas, etc., etc.

Old May 27th 2022, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

I finally did get a response from RHJ. And since I have come up with no other candidates, I am going to try them.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
The last is the most important.... it is the Portuguese equivalent of mañana and it applies to everything.

If you use the expression "speed is of the essence" you will get a blank, or perhaps pitying look, you may be told "of course"...... and then absolutely nothing will happen for a plethora of reasons.....

Your email is awaiting an answer, but, deixa-lá....... it's early, lunchtime, late, Friday . Monday ,close to a feriado, almost August, nearly Christmas, etc., etc.
Got a new accountant this year, as our previous one was fully booked(!). After initial discussion, she had been out of contact for a couple of weeks so I sent a WhatsApp, then a few days later an email, then a few days later another WhatsApp... Three messages over the course of nine days, but just a friendly "Hello, all OK? Need any more info?" as I learned that displays of impatience at lack of action are not always productive!

Finally got a reply at 11:30 last night to say "Hello, I started work on it but have not finished yet, I'll let you know soon"
Old Jun 6th 2022, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
Got a new accountant this year, as our previous one was fully booked(!). After initial discussion, she had been out of contact for a couple of weeks so I sent a WhatsApp, then a few days later an email, then a few days later another WhatsApp... Three messages over the course of nine days, but just a friendly "Hello, all OK? Need any more info?" as I learned that displays of impatience at lack of action are not always productive!

Finally got a reply at 11:30 last night to say "Hello, I started work on it but have not finished yet, I'll let you know soon"
Us poor people don't need no accountants

Second consecutive tax return done all by myself, with modest refund of some of the tax retained at source
Old Jun 6th 2022, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
Us poor people don't need no accountants

Second consecutive tax return done all by myself, with modest refund of some of the tax retained at source
I'm fairly confident I could do it if I had to, we don't have anything complex. But I'm happy to pay the princely sum of 30 euro for some professional reassurance
Old Jun 6th 2022, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
I'm fairly confident I could do it if I had to, we don't have anything complex. But I'm happy to pay the princely sum of 30 euro for some professional reassurance
The accountant getting it wrong - priceless 😎
Old Dec 9th 2022, 9:28 am
Just Joined

ldnporto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happy_pt
Not sure if you are still looking, but I've used RHJ Accountants with decent results, after lots of crazy quotes they offered fairly 'local' rates and have an office in UK and Porto, so they understand the two countries well. For me that experience was pretty important having been massively overcharged before for the simplest of tasks (if you could read governmental level Portuguese)
Out of curiosity, what were the 'local' rates they offered in the end? I'm about to start talking to them about an upcoming move (not entirely straightforward, as I'll still be working for the UK) and it would be great to know a ballpark of what to expect, if you don't mind.
Old Dec 16th 2022, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

For anyone curious, the rates initial rates quoted from RHJ are €95/month for a 'full service package' kind of offering (dedicated accountant etc). €450 to apply for NHR. All plus VAT of course

happy_pt I wonder how those compare to the 'local' rates you were able to get them down to?
Old Dec 16th 2022, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldnporto
For anyone curious, the rates initial rates quoted from RHJ are €95/month for a 'full service package' kind of offering (dedicated accountant etc). €450 to apply for NHR. All plus VAT of course

happy_pt I wonder how those compare to the 'local' rates you were able to get them down to?

450 to tick a few boxes on the financas portal

They're pulling your pants down, so if they're pulling your pants down on that, then they'll pull your pants down on everything, all imo.

Nhr applicatiin is literally a few clicks on a website that takes 5 minutes
Old Dec 16th 2022, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

dingg

Yes, I thought that NHR fee seemed high.

The monthly seems OK though — it's about what I'd expect to pay an accountant here in the UK, provided there are no sneaky add-ons when it comes to tax-return time — but perhaps it's inflated vs the portuguese market
Old Jan 27th 2023, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

MilkyMilky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ldnporto
dingg

Yes, I thought that NHR fee seemed high.

The monthly seems OK though — it's about what I'd expect to pay an accountant here in the UK, provided there are no sneaky add-ons when it comes to tax-return time — but perhaps it's inflated vs the portuguese market

Definitely stay away from RHJ, they will really stiff you. They wanted Euro 350 for a simple online submission to the Financas. On top of all the monthly fees. It felt like I was working for them rather than myself..!
They've also screwed up multiple times and I have had to fix it up. This is the same experience I have had with four accountancy companies here.