Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

english schools in the algarve

english schools in the algarve

Old Sep 9th 2006, 3:27 pm
antheajane

Default english schools in the algarve

Hi

My names Anthea I'm 28 and I am married with 2 children (4&7) and another due in March.
My In-laws live in Lagos and we also have an Auntie and Uncle in Luz.
We have decided we would like to move over there and join them in the sun!!
Would like as much information possible on english schools in the algarve region, what ages they take,reputation,fees ect...
Would be great to get feedback from english families that have moved over and have children in a school there.

Anthea

Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:27 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice
Default Re: english schools in the algarve

Originally Posted by antheajane
Hi

My names Anthea I'm 28 and I am married with 2 children (4&7) and another due in March.
Would like as much information possible on english schools in the algarve region, what ages they take,reputation,fees ect...
Would be great to get feedback from english families that have moved over and have children in a school there.

Anthea
Hi Anthea
Hope you get replys here but also look on expatfocus and find Portugal forum
Lots of info on schools. From what I read schools are good and local free schools excellent for young ones! However jobs are very difficult to find and very low pay. Self-employed Internet workers seem in the best position to live with a good standard of living - and of course retired people as the cost of living is so much cheaper than the UK.
Good Luck - keep checking it out!
Old Sep 10th 2006, 7:48 am
antheajane

Originally Posted by Mattiespeople
Hi Anthea
Hope you get replys here but also look on expatfocus and find Portugal forum
Lots of info on schools. From what I read schools are good and local free schools excellent for young ones! However jobs are very difficult to find and very low pay. Self-employed Internet workers seem in the best position to live with a good standard of living - and of course retired people as the cost of living is so much cheaper than the UK.
Good Luck - keep checking it out!
Thanks for that ,will check it out.
Just not sure what school would be best ,a local portugese one or one like the international school of the algarve?

My husband has his own internet comapny so can work from anywhere!!

Old Sep 10th 2006, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that ,will check it out.
Just not sure what school would be best ,a local portugese one or one like the international school of the algarve?

My husband has his own internet comapny so can work from anywhere!!

Also read the thread "moving to Algarve" started by KarenE (its about half way down the 1st page of threads)

Your kids are young enough, send them to a local state school!!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Diane_76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you check out the local schools before making any decision. There is an English primary school in Espiche (Barlavento Primary School) and there is also VVIS International School Algarve (Luz-Burgau) which has an excellent academic record and goes all the way up to AS and A levels. VVIS will be opening a primary school in 2007 and has had permission to expand its current buildings. I have heard of some excellent local schools, but like I said before, make sure you do your research!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:59 am
Just Joined

kiml is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am new today to forum and not sure how to do things. I am trying to find out about a new international school that is going to open in Torres Vedras as we are moving with our 13 year old to Ericeira and she has no Portuguese yet. Does any body know what it is to be called or when it will open, or if there are other suitable schools? Should this be a new question or is it right to add it here as you have been discussing schools? Also would love to hear of any others who will be nearby.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 1:20 pm
CinderellaHair

cinderellahair is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a note on finances for schools. A new English girl started at my daughters school (portuguese school). She had been at an international school here for 6 years, and the parents for whatever reason i'm not sure, have moved her to the state system. She speaks no portuguese except greetings, hello, goodbye etc (and portuguese is on the international school cirriculum) and has been thrown in at the deep end as it were. The school is already giving her extra individual help, and classmates have been superb, she is feeling more settled now, but it was still a shock for her to go from one system to the next. Some international schools have a portuguese side, others teach in english with a portuguese lesson. Depending your long term plans, choose with care and the financial commitment involved. Good luck xx

Originally Posted by kiml
Hi, I am new today to forum and not sure how to do things. I am trying to find out about a new international school that is going to open in Torres Vedras as we are moving with our 13 year old to Ericeira and she has no Portuguese yet. Does any body know what it is to be called or when it will open, or if there are other suitable schools? Should this be a new question or is it right to add it here as you have been discussing schools? Also would love to hear of any others who will be nearby.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:04 pm
vivandphil

conundrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anyone out there with info about schools in central Portugal, we are planning to move out to mortagua near Penacova and need to find out about schools for 5 year olds. Viv
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Sue-Tom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiml
Just wondering how you went on re schooling. We visited East the International school at Tavira last week. we will be living in Ayamonte on the Spanish side but our 11 year old son is uncomfortable about going to local Spanish school as he would be only English speaker.

Sue
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:17 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue-Tom
Just wondering how you went on re schooling. We visited East the International school at Tavira last week. we will be living in Ayamonte on the Spanish side but our 11 year old son is uncomfortable about going to local Spanish school as he would be only English speaker.

Sue
He's at the perfect age to learn Spanish then! He'll probably be speaking like a native within months.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:48 am
CinderellaHair

cinderellahair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue-Tom

Sue
I'm sure he'll make friends instantly with the spanish children, kids are far more resiliant than we give them credit for, and just think of the advantages in his future when he speaks 2 fluent languages!!! We never gave our children a choice....and now they thank us for it!! GOOD LUCk
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:41 am
Just Joined

berties_telly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Anthea
Hi Anthea,
Did you have any luck with info. re english schools?
Our Son goes to the International School near Lagoa and a lot of kids, some very young, are accompanied by staff on school buses from all over central and western Algarve.
I believe there are 2 buses which go from Lagos, certainly one of the buses goes to Luz and beyond.
The Headteacher is John Butterworth (very helpful) and the website address: www.eialgarve.com
Does your internet site have anything useful to people over here, or is it based in the UK?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

vdtfan is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a excellent international school recently started near Tavira