Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The English on Holiday

The English on Holiday

Reply

Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:25 pm
  #31  
BE Forum Addict
 
007Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Algarve
Posts: 1,393
007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Well at least the tabloids have reported on it - currently no mention on the BBC (news website).
And anyone's really surprised at the BBC's silence over it??.... It's the UK's latest trend - withheld news & disinformation. Maybe it's the only tactic left. I'd offer attractive odds to all comers that some day they'll announce Gibraltar's return to Spain after the usual 'kitten-rescued-from-tree story'.
But I'd lose.
Typical Brits-abroad - sick.
007Steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:38 pm
  #32  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Posts: 7,299
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Well at least the tabloids have reported on it - currently no mention on the BBC (news website).
Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
And anyone's really surprised at the BBC's silence over it??.... It's the UK's latest trend - withheld news & disinformation. Maybe it's the only tactic left. I'd offer attractive odds to all comers that some day they'll announce Gibraltar's return to Spain after the usual 'kitten-rescued-from-tree story'.
But I'd lose.
Typical Brits-abroad - sick.
I've just checked the websites for ITV, Channel 4 and Sky and none of them are carrying the story either.

Obviously some kind of conspiracy




(What is it they're supposed to be hiding, anybody? And why?)
Red Eric is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:41 pm
  #33  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,842
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I've just checked the websites for ITV, Channel 4 and Sky and none of them are carrying the story either.

Obviously some kind of conspiracy




(What is it they're supposed to be hiding, anybody? And why?)
Yes, what & why?
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:55 pm
  #34  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Ingles's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Alcobaça
Posts: 2,855
Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Just searched "Drunk English fighting in Algarve "
& these came up

Riot police called as UK revellers brawl in the Algarve | Daily Mail Online

Shots fired after British holidaymakers at Algarve 'all-white' party start fights | Metro News

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/388944...police-latest/

Last edited by Ingles; Jun 28th 2017 at 6:03 pm. Reason: added link's
Ingles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:14 pm
  #35  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,842
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Thanks, yes, I noticed the tabloids had covered it, that's why I was curious about the BBC.
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:47 pm
  #36  
BE Forum Addict
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,855
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Apparently this whole thing was organised by a guy described as a 'Party Lover' He charged these young people 600 pounds each.. Sounds like the same 'guy'(s) who organised similar 'pub crawls' in Ibiza that ended up with serious brawls, battles with the police and cases of rape and assault. This utter creep should be in jail...
GeniB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:00 pm
  #37  
EMR
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 21,941
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Collected friends from Faro airport this evening.
Both arriving on separate flights commented on the reports of the problems in Albufeira.
Neither are DM, Sun readers so the news must be spreading.
EMR is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:34 am
  #38  
BE Forum Addict
 
007Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Algarve
Posts: 1,393
007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Yes, what & why?
... I.M.O. What they're desperate to avoid reporting is the widespread fragmentation inside the UK caused by current policies- & potential impact abroad. The fragmentation/ disintegration is on many levels - social unrest, the remoteness of govt., its agencies, etc. but it all pivots on the need to maintain the façade of the UK as a stable home for legal foreign investment, or dirty hot-money for washing. Whether it's the London fire, Hillsborough, the recent (unreported) weekend clashes between cultures in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc. the pattern is clear. 'Managed decline' is turning into fast-track disintegration.

But - let me end by saying that whether it's 6, 60 or 600 rioting Brits (or not), the potential is that if other nations perceive this as a regular problem (without UK coverage or action) they'll re-act. Portugal, for instance, could well take a much tougher line on Brits if they perceive them, by policy, to be a good deal poorer but allowed to be a lot more aggressive abroad.
007Steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:12 am
  #39  
BE Forum Addict
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,855
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... I.M.O. What they're desperate to avoid reporting is the widespread fragmentation inside the UK caused by current policies- & potential impact abroad. The fragmentation/ disintegration is on many levels - social unrest, the remoteness of govt., its agencies, etc. but it all pivots on the need to maintain the façade of the UK as a stable home for legal foreign investment, or dirty hot-money for washing. Whether it's the London fire, Hillsborough, the recent (unreported) weekend clashes between cultures in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc. the pattern is clear. 'Managed decline' is turning into fast-track disintegration.

But - let me end by saying that whether it's 6, 60 or 600 rioting Brits (or not), the potential is that if other nations perceive this as a regular problem (without UK coverage or action) they'll re-act. Portugal, for instance, could well take a much tougher line on Brits if they perceive them, by policy, to be a good deal poorer but allowed to be a lot more aggressive abroad.


I have written to the British Ambassador in Lisbon Ms Kirsty Hayes. to protest at the lack of coverage and sensor from the British Government .It won't have much effect on it's own,however if many more British ex-pats register their dismay it might just make it to whitehall.
We are as much victims of this organised mayhem as the citizens of Portugal ,Spain or wherever else these thugs' decide to organise so called 'parties'. If we don't protest,don't be surprised at the consequence's in the future

We are after all demanding that muslims come up and protest against their own' religious nutters'..giving them a bad name.(albeit a tad more violent)
GeniB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:29 am
  #40  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,842
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
I have written to the British Ambassador in Lisbon Ms Kirsty Hayes. to protest at the lack of coverage and sensor from the British Government .It won't have much effect on it's own,however if many more British ex-pats register their dismay it might just make it to whitehall.
We are as much victims of this organised mayhem as the citizens of Portugal ,Spain or wherever else these thugs' decide to organise so called 'parties'. If we don't protest,don't be surprised at the consequence's in the future

We are after all demanding that muslims come up and protest against their own' religious nutters'..giving them a bad name.(albeit a tad more violent)
Good move, well done (& well said). I would certainly do the same in similar circumstances in Hungary (only a matter of time!).
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:52 am
  #41  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,411
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... I.M.O. What they're desperate to avoid reporting is the widespread fragmentation inside the UK caused by current policies- & potential impact abroad. The fragmentation/ disintegration is on many levels - social unrest, the remoteness of govt., its agencies, etc. but it all pivots on the need to maintain the façade of the UK as a stable home for legal foreign investment, or dirty hot-money for washing. Whether it's the London fire, Hillsborough, the recent (unreported) weekend clashes between cultures in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc. the pattern is clear. 'Managed decline' is turning into fast-track disintegration.

But - let me end by saying that whether it's 6, 60 or 600 rioting Brits (or not), the potential is that if other nations perceive this as a regular problem (without UK coverage or action) they'll re-act. Portugal, for instance, could well take a much tougher line on Brits if they perceive them, by policy, to be a good deal poorer but allowed to be a lot more aggressive abroad.
Just returned from stay in European country, and uniform observations from locals on visitors : Brits over 40, Americans , Germans , quite normal and polite. Italians described as always complaining but acceptable behavior, French arrogant. Young Brits described as hooligans, drunks, and several said they wondered if packaged holidays from Britain really would be worth the trouble young Brits caused. Maybe young Brits should have to take a class in decent behavior before allowed to travel, hah.
morpeth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:00 am
  #42  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,842
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Just returned from stay in European country, and uniform observations from locals on visitors : Brits over 40, Americans , Germans , quite normal and polite. Italians described as always complaining but acceptable behavior, French arrogant. Young Brits described as hooligans, drunks, and several said they wondered if packaged holidays from Britain really would be worth the trouble young Brits caused. Maybe young Brits should have to take a class in decent behavior before allowed to travel, hah.
Have to challenge the "Brits over 40", certainly based on our experience in Budapest.
Hooligans, no, but often incredibly arrogant.
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2017, 1:28 pm
  #43  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Posts: 7,299
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Thanks, yes, I noticed the tabloids had covered it, that's why I was curious about the BBC.
Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... I.M.O. What they're desperate to avoid reporting is the widespread fragmentation inside the UK caused by current policies- & potential impact abroad.

[...etc...]
Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
I have written to the British Ambassador in Lisbon Ms Kirsty Hayes. to protest at the lack of coverage and sensor from the British Government .It won't have much effect on it's own,however if many more British ex-pats register their dismay it might just make it to whitehall.
I'm blessed if I can see what's being suggested here at all

Are you seriously saying that the UK government is censoring the BBC? The BBC is completely independent of the government in terms of the content of what it broadcasts.

As I said above, the incident is not covered on the websites of Channel 4, Sky or ITV either. Nor does it appear on the websites of The Times, The FT, or The Guardian. Nor on the websites of RTP (the PT public service broadcaster) nor on Público, a respected newspaper.

Just what is the problem with it not being splashed all over the BBC? And how could there be any sort of cover up going on when other perfectly respectable news sites where there is no possibility of UK government interference, both in the UK and in Portugal, are not carrying the story either?
Red Eric is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2017, 2:30 pm
  #44  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,842
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I'm blessed if I can see what's being suggested here at all

Are you seriously saying that the UK government is censoring the BBC? The BBC is completely independent of the government in terms of the content of what it broadcasts.

As I said above, the incident is not covered on the websites of Channel 4, Sky or ITV either. Nor does it appear on the websites of The Times, The FT, or The Guardian. Nor on the websites of RTP (the PT public service broadcaster) nor on Público, a respected newspaper.

Just what is the problem with it not being splashed all over the BBC? And how could there be any sort of cover up going on when other perfectly respectable news sites where there is no possibility of UK government interference, both in the UK and in Portugal, are not carrying the story either?
When you consider much of the inconsequential trivia published by the major players in the British media I would have thought this incident worthy of at least a mention.

However to answer your question more directly I notice that the thrust of your earlier posts seems devoted to the behaviours of others (ie the Portuguese) rather than the perpetrators, whose actions occasioned this thread. Why is that?

Last edited by Expatrick; Jun 29th 2017 at 4:05 pm.
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:29 pm
  #45  
BE Enthusiast
 
peterfc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 608
peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I'm blessed if I can see what's being suggested here at all

Are you seriously saying that the UK government is censoring the BBC? The BBC is completely independent of the government in terms of the content of what it broadcasts.

As I said above, the incident is not covered on the websites of Channel 4, Sky or ITV either. Nor does it appear on the websites of The Times, The FT, or The Guardian. Nor on the websites of RTP (the PT public service broadcaster) nor on Público, a respected newspaper.

Just what is the problem with it not being splashed all over the BBC? And how could there be any sort of cover up going on when other perfectly respectable news sites where there is no possibility of UK government interference, both in the UK and in Portugal, are not carrying the story either?
Very well said

Peter
peterfc is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement