Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

English butcher in Tavira closes

English butcher in Tavira closes

Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road
Default English butcher in Tavira closes

Carnedale, the English butcher in Tavira has had to close.
When staff went in on Monday they found that the commercial walk-in fridge had failed and all the contents had spoiled (over 100kgs of meats!).
To repair the fridge will cost over €1000 and is not economically viable.
Their famous handmade sausages and pies will still be available but will have to be per-ordered on 919915815
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of
Default Re: English butcher in Tavira closes

Didn't he have any insurance?
Joao
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

This is sad news. While we weren't always regular customers we always went in when we were after something a bit special and their beef will be sadly missed when autumn begins and we start waiting roasts again...
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

Really sorry to hear that - its such a shame when so much time and effort goes into a business for it to fail through no fault of their own.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:30 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Having a working fridge/freezer as a iutcher is such an obvious thing to have covered by insurance.
Odd if they did not ??
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Its always sad when a business fails, or the owner has simply had enough.

However making a repair, even 1000euros and losing less than a weeks worth of stock is not really a reason to close - its in reality either a personal decision or just another sign of the times.

Good that they are continuing whats obviously a profitable part of their business, pies and sausage.

My dad was a butcher and i've found the beef at Intermarche to be far superior to anything i've bought at other butchers here, including 'English butchers' - you just have to be aware that they 'French cut' the meat - the opposite way across the grain and treat the cuts / meat accordingly, more marinading / basting / flavouring/tenderising is necessary to bring out the best in each cut.
If you marinade most of the beef here with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, sprinkle of herbs / garlic for just 30 minutes before you cook it you'll be amazed at the difference
Old Aug 1st 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

The butchers was going to close in August anyway so repairing and re-stocking is not viable.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike
The butchers was going to close in August anyway so repairing and re-stocking is not viable.
True. Also it was the landlords responsibility to repair the fridge and he refused.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Only the insane would offer to repair something or expect something to be repaired if closing within a matter of days.

i suspect porkies are beginning to appear in this thread
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

roadislandred is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it strange that this has happen now.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Personally i'd never order pies etc from a company that recently had a load of spoiled meat - you never know
When our freezer packed up a few years ago , we made all of the theoretically spoiled food into pies, stews etc - most of it tasted fine, but i must admit we gave some of it to the dogs

Last edited by steve01; Aug 2nd 2013 at 10:38 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve01
Only the insane would offer to repair something or expect something to be repaired if closing within a matter of days.

i suspect porkies are beginning to appear in this thread

Having made a tough business decision the poor guy loses all his remaining stock when his walk in freezer packs up. I would imagine after 2 days it stank to high heaven and to add insult to injury he then had to clear up the mess and literally throw money in the bin.
His landlord won't repair the equipment that he is obliged by contract to maintain (not the first time if memory serves me correctly - but others know better than me) so the butcher has no choice but to close his business earlier than he had expected, losing even more money and letting down his customers.

The butcher, his wife and fellow workers gave it everything they had. I offer them my thanks, my commiserations that it didn't work out and the very best wishes for the future.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike i don't wish the proprietor and their former employees anything but the best of luck.
So don't pick a fight with me.
But the way in which this posting has gone is getting fishy to say the least.
You're the guy said they were closing anyway.
You say freezer, originally a fridge - i used to help out in my dad's butchers y shop and we lost a walk in once, even here foods good for a couple of days if its unopened, and you can import enough ice to keep it fresh for a while longer.
You can't run a business without insurance, and if its down to the landlord to repair - and i've never heard that in my life for machinery - you would have gone after the first incident or agreed a retainer to cover that eventuality just in case.
There's normally enough additional cooling on the meat counters at the front of the shop to give you emergency cover

I also thought unpaid adverts were banned - and if Mr piggies first posting isn't a flagrant unpaid add i don't know what is

Last edited by steve01; Aug 2nd 2013 at 6:53 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

.The butcher, his wife and fellow workers gave it everything they had. I offer them my thanks, my commiserations that it didn't work out and the very best wishes for the future.
Thank you Mike.
I was going to reply to steve01 but given our history it wasn't worth it.
I too, wish the butcher, his wife and their employees all the best for the future.
It's rather sad that people can only see the worst in an unfortunate situation and give criticism rather than offer assistance.
BTW Steve, if you hired a car and the clutch went, who would you expect to repair it? In fact, don't bother to reply. I can't be bothered with you.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

and Steve, for your info, I have never been an employee of this butcher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.