British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Eligibility to Vote (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/eligibility-vote-940639/)

BlackBeardie Sep 13th 2021 5:47 pm

Eligibility to Vote

Hi All,
Does anyone know if as a British Citizen and being a Permanent Resident (Residencia Permanente) one is eligible to vote in the upcoming (26th Sept. 2021) Portuguese Local elections? I contacted the Camara in Tavira but the person who got back didn't seem to know the answer.

Thank you.

Loafing Along Sep 13th 2021 7:06 pm

Re: Eligibility to Vote

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie (Post 13050868)
Hi All,
Does anyone know if as a British Citizen and being a Permanent Resident (Residencia Permanente) one is eligible to vote in the upcoming (26th Sept. 2021) Portuguese Local elections? I contacted the Camara in Tavira but the person who got back didn't seem to know the answer.

Thank you.

This explains it all :
https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...onfusion/61212
https://www.acm.gov.pt/-/sou-cidadao...s-portuguesas-

Brits resident prior to Brexit are included , you need to appear on the census.

Rambling archer Sep 14th 2021 2:29 pm

Your problem is that to vote, you have to register to vote, and you have to register a certain time in advance of the elections due ... so it is actually too late to register your willingness to vote now for the upcoming local elections.

BlackBeardie Oct 30th 2021 10:55 pm

Hello,
@Rambling archer , @Loafing Along,
Thnk you for your your input. I am sorry for being remiss i replying. It is as Rambling Archer said. As a full British citizen you are eligible to vote in local Portuguese elections. It is at the dead line for registering is at the discretion of one's freguesia. Mine, Luz de Tavira said you have to register a minimum of two months before the date of the elections. Hopefully I will be in time this time round if elections are called. Personally I think it is a waste of money, damaging to the already fragile economy and puts EU funds allocated to Portugal at risk.

Red Eric Oct 31st 2021 7:57 am

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie (Post 13067046)
...Hopefully I will be in time this time round if elections are called. Personally I think it is a waste of money, damaging to the already fragile economy and puts EU funds allocated to Portugal at risk.

The almost inevitable will be a general election, in which you will not be eligible to vote unless you have either Portuguese citizenship or are a resident Brazilian with cartão de cidadão or bilhete de identidade.

BlackBeardie Nov 23rd 2021 10:53 pm

Red Eric Thank you. The saga goes on. You maybe right. I have a 10 year residencia issued in 2019. The administrator at Freguesia said I need to change it because of Brexit and sent me a link at SEF for automatic renewal. I gave it a go but it said the type of Residencia I have does not permit automatic renewable. I am not sure what I should do. Surely if I had to change my Residencia, SEF would have notified me. Or someone like the GNR when I reported my kayak stolen. I would very much appreciate your input. I think you maybe onto something regarding that CArtão de Cidadão.. . I could get Portuguese citizenship but I won't bother with that now.

Red Eric Nov 24th 2021 7:32 am

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie (Post 13075179)
...The administrator at Freguesia said I need to change it because of Brexit and sent me a link at SEF for automatic renewal. I gave it a go but it said the type of Residencia I have does not permit automatic renewable. I am not sure what I should do. Surely if I had to change my Residencia, SEF would have notified me. Or someone like the GNR when I reported my kayak stolen....

You need to apply for a new residence card, which will identify you as having been resident in Portugal prior to the end of the Brexit transition period and therefore with protected rights as defined in the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement. This is a whole different process to renewal of residence permits for 3rd country nationals.

Nobody will notify you personally - information on requirements for this and other administrative matters is widely published and is always discussed in detail on here.

Here is a link to the relevant SEF page, with an explainer video and an onward link to where you make your application. For your best convenience, you should do this by 31st December (it was originally 30th June). You will be able to get as far as downloading confirmation that you have applied - as yet, the last stage of the process, where you are contacted by email with regard to making an appointment for collection of biometric data at a Câmara near you is not yet under way.

If you have any trouble during the process, contact SEF on the Brexit Line or via email as per the contact details on the bottom of the linked page.

BlackBeardie Nov 24th 2021 8:42 am

Red Eric Wow.. . Thank you very much Red Eric. I was in my own bubble and busy with other stuff. I had no idea. I will action this asap.

Red Eric Nov 24th 2021 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie (Post 13075290)
Red Eric Wow.. . Thank you very much Red Eric. I was in my own bubble and busy with other stuff. I had no idea. I will action this asap.

Probably best.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment which you might want to review is your driving licence, if you have a UK one and haven't yet exchanged for PT.

BlackBeardie Nov 25th 2021 11:38 pm

Hi Red Eric thanks for the heads up. I managed to register for a new/exchange of Residence Permit. I learnt on the forum what the QR Code in the Application Certificate is for. I am alright for the driving license, thank you.

BlackBeardie Jan 29th 2022 11:13 pm

It's Elections Day today. :) Red Eric you were absolutely right. Only Portuguese and Brazilian nationals can vote in legislative (Parliamentary elections) in Portugal.

The information can be found at this site. https://www.cne.pt/content/perguntas...s-tema-eleicao
However it was not phrased in a explicit manner so I emailed them for confirmation to which I received a reply that this is exactly how it is.