Electricity and via verde questions

Electricity and via verde questions

Old Jun 13th 2019, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

winniepop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricity and via verde questions

HI all

two Q's if I may..

Electricity providers: any recommendations? I found the comparison site https://simulador.precos.erse.pt/eletricidade/ is this the best? Some tariffs have limits, do I read this correctly?

Via Verde - is there an advantage to buying the transponder? The rental seems very cheap so I'm not sure why one would buy?

Also, a bonus question if I may - are there water meters on every property? Or is water old UK style i.e. ratable value?

many thanks for any help!

we arrive early August! Yey!
Old Jun 13th 2019, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity and via verde questions

Originally Posted by winniepop

Also, a bonus question if I may - are there water meters on every property? Or is water old UK style i.e. ratable value?

!
The water is metered.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 6:43 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Via Verde - is there an advantage to buying the transponder? The rental seems very cheap so I'm not sure why one would buy?
None that I can see.

The rental option wasn't available when I bought mine and at the time the purchase price was recouped within a few trips thanks to a system of discounts which applied at the time.

I wasn't aware there was a rental option actually - don't recall seeing it mentioned on here before. Useful to know for future reference - and it is remarkably cheap, isn't it?

Bet you can't wait.

Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:53 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

HI all

two Q's if I may..

Electricity providers: any recommendations? I found the comparison site https://simulador.precos.erse.pt/eletricidade/ is this the best? Some tariffs have limits, do I read this correctly?

many thanks for any help!

I haven't played the elecricity game - so I stayed with EDP - I heard that others try to tie you into restrictive contracts but check what's on offer in your area.

I rent the Via Verde transponder..... if you buy, it's up to you to fix/buy a new one if anything happens, if you rent it isn't. Also, in my case, I don't use the motorways every month..... and I don't pay rent if I don't have any charges to pay.

My water is from a borehole, so no meter..... but all piped water is metered.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

winniepop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macliam
I haven't played the elecricity game - so I stayed with EDP - I heard that others try to tie you into restrictive contracts but check what's on offer in your area.

I rent the Via Verde transponder..... if you buy, it's up to you to fix/buy a new one if anything happens, if you rent it isn't. Also, in my case, I don't use the motorways every month..... and I don't pay rent if I don't have any charges to pay.

My water is from a borehole, so no meter..... but all piped water is metered.

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 2:43 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a 2nd car last week so went to Via Verde office in the Municipal Market in Faro. 3 options offered for the transponder:
Buy outright for 21€
Rent for 45c per month (pay every month)
Rent for 70c per month (pay only in months where you use the motorways)

And as previous posters have said, with the last two options, if anything goes wrong, battery goes etc, just take it back for a new one.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I do very few journeys on the A22 so I pay after the event. I also have 2 cars. I leave it for 3 days, check online how much I owe and pay the amount online from my bank account.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thing about the transponders is when you travel a bit further; all the toll stations in Portugal have a via verde lane you can drive through without waiting. Driving in and out of Lisbon, this is a big time saving.
It also works in much [maybe all?] of Spain now.

I think the battery is dead on my old transponder, but it doesn't seem to make any difference!
The optical number plate recognition system associates my reg with the account and charges me just the same.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 8:40 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Nice thing about the transponders is when you travel a bit further; all the toll stations in Portugal have a via verde lane you can drive through without waiting. Driving in and out of Lisbon, this is a big time saving.
It also works in much [maybe all?] of Spain now.

I think the battery is dead on my old transponder, but it doesn't seem to make any difference!
The optical number plate recognition system associates my reg with the account and charges me just the same.
I agree that the transponder is a more convenient way to manage tolls - it also work for car parks at the airport and other things. Whether one chooses to buy or rent is down to the individual, the cost is not huge, but I wouldn't go back to schlepping into post offices again - and the couple of times I forgot to do so were hassle I don't need.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 9:15 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
...I wouldn't go back to schlepping into post offices again - and the couple of times I forgot to do so were hassle I don't need.
Also, if you're using a toll road on your way out of the country it won't be an option unless you're back within a few short days.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Also, if you're using a toll road on your way out of the country it won't be an option unless you're back within a few short days.
But you can pay online from any country.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

From my relatively fresh experience....

Water is metered and seems a reasonable price

Road tolls only take an extra 60secs to pay by ticket and gives you immediate reciepts if you are submitting accounts here.

Electric - All of it seems expensive here however... EDP most expensive by far, but any issues/connection/call out etc is done immediately and easily (Can even visit a store if preferred), Endesa is cheaper with more deals, but are an absolute nightmare to deal with for example they got my name wrong on the account and 22 calls, 7 emails later... still wrong! Admit I've been overcharged but won't refund, told if want it back to apply through consumer agency that I need to pay to join.
Also all other providers still use EDP to switch on/check/cut off/repairs

Hope that helps a little
Old Jun 19th 2019, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

I contracted ENDESA.PT as my electricity provider and I'm quite happy with them. Just pay far less then with EDP. No binding contract.
You may use my 302262628 code (código Plano Amigo) to get €1 off from your monthly bill.
I don't get why people are stuck with EDP tariffs.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiDAN
I contracted ENDESA.PT as my electricity provider and I'm quite happy with them. Just pay far less then with EDP. No binding contract.
You may use my 302262628 code (código Plano Amigo) to get €1 off from your monthly bill.
I don't get why people are stuck with EDP tariffs.
I have looked at Endesa prices for bihorario electricity supply and, even with the 12% discount they offer, the cost for my usage would be higher not lower than I am paying with EDP.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I have looked at Endesa prices for bihorario electricity supply and, even with the 12% discount they offer, the cost for my usage would be higher not lower than I am paying with EDP.
Don't forget to add IVA (VAT) to EDP tariff. I checked a year ago and Endesa were winner.
It's quite hard to get the right tariff compared as they use different tricks to hide extra fees.
You should also consider the maximum power provided, as the tariff depends on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.