British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   EDP smart meters (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/edp-smart-meters-935857/)

wellinever Nov 26th 2020 4:22 pm

EDP smart meters

I have a Landis Gyr smart meter (3 phase model ZCXe110) installed by EDP. But its now running single phase at 10kw
Today I thought I would look at the leccy consumption of my AC.
So taking a reading of the 3 counters in the meter I started the AC
Went back to the meter 1 hour later.
Oddly the 3 readings still showed the same figure as when I started an hour before.

The fugures in the meter always get higher each month so I assume its working OK (it is only a year old)
DO these meters only add usage on a daily basis as some point m the night does anyone know?
Just looked at the meter again (that is 6 hours after last look) and the figures are still the same, despite having used leccy all day

Loafing Along Nov 26th 2020 4:53 pm

Re: EDP smart meters

Originally Posted by wellinever (Post 12939968)
I have a Landis Gyr smart meter (3 phase model ZCXe110) installed by EDP. But its now running single phase at 10kw
Today I thought I would look at the leccy consumption of my AC.
So taking a reading of the 3 counters in the meter I started the AC
Went back to the meter 1 hour later.
Oddly the 3 readings still showed the same figure as when I started an hour before.

The fugures in the meter always get higher each month so I assume its working OK (it is only a year old)
DO these meters only add usage on a daily basis as some point m the night does anyone know?
Just looked at the meter again (that is 6 hours after last look) and the figures are still the same, despite having used leccy all day

We have a Landis Gyr Smart meter from Galp, actually phoned in my month's consumption tjhis morning so went back and checked readings just now and the "Punto" has definitely gone up .

wellinever Nov 26th 2020 5:44 pm

I always look at the 0000181/2/3 figures and give them each month, despite the fact that I am on single simple tariff.
I assumed that as all of these figures get higher each month (that have always changed each month when I have read then) that I would be able to see a change in one of the rates during the day, as leccy is used.

liveaboard Nov 26th 2020 6:07 pm

Possibly you have a dual rate, and the number that didn't move is the night rate.
The numbers are a real pain to read, flashing for 2 seconds and then changing value.

Loafing Along Nov 26th 2020 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by wellinever (Post 12939986)
I always look at the 0000181/2/3 figures and give them each month, despite the fact that I am on single simple tariff.
I assumed that as all of these figures get higher each month (that have always changed each month when I have read then) that I would be able to see a change in one of the rates during the day, as leccy is used.

Yes exactly the same - the Galp system of reporting asks you to submit these three readings at the end of each month and you can see them recorded on your bill with the detailed consumption for each one , one being lower rate ( Vazio ) the other 2 at the higher rate, ( Punto & Cheio ). Having said that if you phone the numbers in, not record them on the web they give the last reading with an automated voice and it is often 10 days previously, something I have never understood

wellinever Nov 26th 2020 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 12939995)
Possibly you have a dual rate, and the number that didn't move is the night rate.
The numbers are a real pain to read, flashing for 2 seconds and then changing value.

No I am on single rate for sure.
Yes you have to be quick to record the 3 readings.
With EDP you must goive your own readings between 14th to 18th of the month. SO you record the 3 readings online, but when the bill comes what they have done is to estimate from the date you give the reading to the end of the month !!!
If there is a way to confuse you the EDP know all of the tricks.
I guess this all comes out in the wash, but why they dont just use the figures you give them is beyond me.
Just been out to look at meter again....both 181 and 182 are the same as mid morning, but 183 has gone up by 1
So that is a change of 1kw from this morning despite having 12K btu AC on heating for over 3 hours during the day.
Nothing runs overnight so I will take a look tomorrow morning. Maybe if I am lucky the meter has packed up !!!!

RichardHenshall Nov 26th 2020 9:47 pm

12k BTU is around 3.5 kW. Running flat out in heating mode in current daytime temperatures would require somewhat less than 1 kW because it's only pumping the heat from outdoors. If it was running at less than full power under thermostatic control it will use correspondingly less. You may have recorded less than one kWh of consumption in another time interval in addition to the period which recorded one kWh (which could be nearly 2).

Your observations are, to me, consistent with your meter working properly.

wellinever Nov 27th 2020 7:24 am

Thnks richard.
Just looked this morning.So this is the difference from 12noon yesterday to 8am this morning. So at least the meter is running
181 up 1
182 up 1
183 up 3
So a usage of 5kw in total.
I know that the f/f uses 1kw per day. All cooking is with leccy and this period included 2 hours of AC on heating.
Sufficient for the house all day and night, with inside temp this morning at 21deg in all rooms.
So pretty good as it was down to 11deg here last night.