Reload this Page >

Vodafone Broadband

Vodafone Broadband

Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Fitzy73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vodafone Broadband

Hi can anyone offer me some advise?

I have a small apartment in Cabanas, outside Tavira.

I have phone + internet + TV with MEO at about €45 per month. It's ADSL I think so speeds aren't great (about 12-15mb).

I've seen an ad for Vodafone for the same, plus free UK calls, which is 24 a month for the first few months and higher after. I can't see what the higher bit is but they are offering fibre.

Two questions:

1) Is there a Portuguese website to check if my exchange is fibre enabled?

2) How can I call MEO from the UK to cancel my subscription to them?

Many thanks
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vodafone Broadband

Originally Posted by Fitzy73
Hi can anyone offer me some advise?

I have a small apartment in Cabanas, outside Tavira.

I have phone + internet + TV with MEO at about €45 per month. It's ADSL I think so speeds aren't great (about 12-15mb).

I've seen an ad for Vodafone for the same, plus free UK calls, which is 24 a month for the first few months and higher after. I can't see what the higher bit is but they are offering fibre.

Two questions:

1) Is there a Portuguese website to check if my exchange is fibre enabled?

2) How can I call MEO from the UK to cancel my subscription to them?

Many thanks
Vodafone have a coverage test : Vodafone - Cobertura

Need phone number and post code
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

MEO have all kinds of deals and will be able to match the Vodafone offer if you complain and suggest you may be moving away. You could also consider cancelling the TV part and using Internet and Phone only as to be frank the TV offering is a bit limited and you may do better by buying your own IPTV box and getting a UK TV Subscription.

Be aware that if you change the package you automatically get signed up for a new two year contract at the new rate so you had better be certain its really what you want. (Although you have a statutory two week cooling off period).

MEO is very difficult to cancel other than by going into a physical shop, signing the papers and making sure you retain a copy as proof of cancellation + to wave at them when they send a further months invoice ! Actual cancellation takes a month anyway and be aware that if you have had the service for less than two years they will send you a bill for the balance of the two year contract period.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said Meo offer umpteen types of packages now including non contract packages that you can turn on & off as needed so you might like to check their website to see what's on offer........ You might also like to visit feliztec.com for advice..... I've got no commercial link to them but am a satisfied & regular customer.

They can also offer you advice on TV viewing options but assuming a good internet connection you won't need a paid for UK TV subscription.

MrBife mentions a 2 week cooling off period with Meo & he could well be right on that but I thought it was 6 weeks.... Either way, you need to be utterly ruthless in cancelling if they fail to deliver what they promise.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

For Fitzy73:

12-15 Mbps download speed is great as far as I am concerned. I wish I could get that speed where I live. MEO have got me up to a steady 7 Mbps and that is good enough for IPTV, iPlayer and Sky viewing. I negotiated the same package as you Fitzy73 for €29.99 per month, so try bargaining with them. As MrBife says, the MEO TV is a bit limited unless you are Portuguese or you want to learn the language by watching their rubbish programmes.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BillBullock;12338705]For Fitzy73:

12-15 Mbps download speed is great as far as I am concerned. I wish I could get that speed where I live. MEO have got me up to a steady 7 Mbps and that is good enough for IPTV, iPlayer and Sky viewing. I negotiated the same package as you Fitzy73 for €29.99 per month, so try bargaining with them. As MrBife says, the MEO TV is a bit limited unless you are Portuguese or you want to learn the language by watching their rubbish programmes.[/QUOTE]

A narrow minded comment
Old Sep 15th 2017, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Ageed. I don't know why I said that.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

I dream of such speed. Think yourself lucky.
Why don't you go to the Vodafone shop in Tavira Gran Plaza, they have a map of where fibre is installed.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Just went to Vodafone in Portimao:
Good offer for internet and phone (without TV): EUR 22.50
internet speed 100mb (fibra); 1000 min/ month free telephone to landlines international between 9 pm and 9 am and during the weekend. Portuguese landlines free.
Unlimited.

Contract: 24 months

Perfect for us!