Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Disgusted with PT IRS.

Disgusted with PT IRS.

Old Oct 4th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Disgusted with PT IRS.

My wife was stricken with cancer and went into septic shock with cardiac arrest and comma so she could not file her tax on time. She was in intensive care for 4 weeks overlapping the due date for tax filing.
My wife normally does the tax so I had no idea of how to do it for her so I went to the local Finanças with the hospital papers showing her condition.

I was treated like a criminal and no one understood a word of English. They merely wrote a fine of €37,50 for late filing. Not too bad. So I thought.

Her accountant filed her tax but the fine rose to €220.00. Now I feel like just ducking out of PT. Her tax bill is about €10k which is totally incorrect but how to argue with them if we have a language problem???

Just venting.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Disgusted with PT IRS.

I am sorry to hear this and I hope your wife is better now.

I think when you live in Portugal, the authorities speak portuguese. We lived 20 years in France, but here you need to speak french.

When you don't speak the language, you need to have someone with you who speaks Portuguese.
When you feel the tax bill of 10k is incorrect, ask the accountant who filed it for your wife. There must be an explanation.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 7:14 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disgusted with PT IRS.

Originally Posted by Ukkram
My wife was stricken with cancer and went into septic shock with cardiac arrest and comma so she could not file her tax on time. She was in intensive care for 4 weeks overlapping the due date for tax filing.
My wife normally does the tax so I had no idea of how to do it for her so I went to the local Finanças with the hospital papers showing her condition.

I was treated like a criminal and no one understood a word of English. They merely wrote a fine of €37,50 for late filing. Not too bad. So I thought.

Her accountant filed her tax but the fine rose to €220.00. Now I feel like just ducking out of PT. Her tax bill is about €10k which is totally incorrect but how to argue with them if we have a language problem???

Just venting.
NOT the first time you have expressed your frustration at the lack of English speakers in your part of Portugal.
It's a fact that that when it comes to complex matters like tax you need either to be fluent in Portuguese or use a bilingual friend or professional.
How many Portuguese speakers do you think work in the UK inland revenue.