British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Earthquake in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/earthquake-uk-517445/)

derbyflan Feb 26th 2008 12:52 pm

Earthquake in UK

What the **** was that?:blink:

Epicentre said to be http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...us2008nyae.php

Saz1 Feb 26th 2008 7:44 pm

Re: Earthquake in UK

It woke me up in East London and I blamed my husband! I thought his snoring was rocking the bed and windows! he said it was the wind. . .

Couldnt believe it this morning when I heard about the quake.

Saz

Paul Andre Feb 26th 2008 8:14 pm

No, you're absolutely correct - it was an EARTHQUAKE!
It was an underground earthquake and was 5.1 richters, and although it was done in Lincolnshire it was actually felt in other places quite far away, including London and some bits of Wales. The biggest one since 1984.

gazz Feb 26th 2008 8:56 pm

strange things are happening everywhere aren,t they, remember one in the midlands a year or two ago, can,t remember these things ever happening when i was a kid, not in the uk anyway, have we done irretrevible damage to the earth? and will these things just get worse i wonder?

Paul Andre Feb 26th 2008 9:24 pm

Yes, I believe the increase in seismic activity is because of Blair's Britain and ASBOs and immigrants, so you'll be OK in Portugal for a good while yet!

CHOPPER Feb 27th 2008 3:51 am

We are not really alright in Portugal, click on this site www.meteo.pt then click on Sismologia and you will see how many earthquakes Portugal has, thats why they recommend when you insure your house to take out earthquake cover.

pasturesnew Feb 28th 2008 9:24 am

Yes, the earthquake travelled through Manchester too...around 12.50AM in the morning I felt the 'ripple' go through the house and myself - in a particular direction...

septimus Feb 29th 2008 5:41 am

Originally Posted by pasturesnew (Post 5996500)
Yes, myself - in a particular direction...

that is lucky for you

scrubbedexpat008 Feb 29th 2008 9:40 am

Originally Posted by pasturesnew (Post 5996500)
Yes, the earthquake travelled through Manchester too...around 12.50AM in the morning I felt the 'ripple' go through the house and myself - in a particular direction...

So "the earth moved for you" then . . . :D

No problem - get it where you can . . . :eek:

Obrigado e boa noite :cool:

Vim Fuego Feb 29th 2008 10:07 am

It hit Hull hard and caused improvements worth 23 million quid.

septimus Feb 29th 2008 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 6001482)

keep that under your hat, if not all towns will want it.

CakeMonster Mar 3rd 2008 4:28 am

I was in Portugal at the time of the quake and Sky News, and every report I read, said it was 30 miles south of Hull, 40 miles east of Nottingham and so on. Well, what about 15 miles north of LINCOLN in LINCOLNSHIRE. It's only the main city in the third largest county in the country and no-one ever mentions the place.

gazz Mar 3rd 2008 4:54 am

Originally Posted by CakeMonster (Post 6011450)
I was in Portugal at the time of the quake and Sky News, and every report I read, said it was 30 miles south of Hull, 40 miles east of Nottingham and so on. Well, what about 15 miles north of LINCOLN in LINCOLNSHIRE. It's only the main city in the third largest county in the country and no-one ever mentions the place.

i love their sausages!:thumbsup:;)

Paul Andre Mar 3rd 2008 11:21 pm

I've been to Lincoln. Cakemonster, where are you from?

polly flinders Mar 3rd 2008 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 6001482)

I live 20 miles outside of Hull. My cats woke me up just before 1 . 00 a m prior to the quake.They were racing around the house like things possessed. Then came the shaking. It was like an invisible steam train passing through the house. The worst thing was... all my wine glasses wobbled off their shelf and ended up on the kitchen floor. Talk about a disaster...how bad was that then