Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving UK plated car in Portugal

Driving UK plated car in Portugal

Old Feb 11th 2020, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving UK plated car in Portugal

Originally Posted by mfesharne
The translation of your quote is last para below but doesn't relly refer to the case in point & doesn't even have mention of a time period but the entire legislation is considerably longer than just a few words & I think you'll find it is 5 years.

On a broader note, all legislation seems to be related somewhere & the Simplex & Regresso programs are a good example where one enables the other.

https://www.simplex.gov.pt/

https://iefponline.iefp.pt/IEFP/veRe...CNyHr5uCzdATYA

Vehicles of the property of persons, over 18 years of age, who transfer their residence from a Member State of the European Union or from a third country to national territory, provided that the conditions laid down in Articles 59 and 60 are met. (Drafting given by Law No. 114/2017 of 29 December)
As you quite rightly say, there is far more than the one section I quoted to prove you are falsely claiming "new immigrant" is used in the legislation, I made no mention of time scales, as other's have already pointed out your claim that the import process must be started within 6 months is similarly false.

All legislation stands by itself unless the legislation specifically refers to other legislation in the text. The ISV legislation makes no reference to the Regresso regime, nor does the Regresso regime make any reference to the ISV rules.

Notwithstanding that, none of it has anything to do with the fact that different legislation has different time scales and it is merely your assumption to transpose from one to the other without verifying your facts.

Instead of hunting legislation unrelated to ISV to support your quoting from one piece of legislation and applying it to another in an attempt to suport your mis-informed opinion that it's 5 years under the ISV legislation why don't you use your time to read Section 3 of the ISV legislation (even better read all Sections of it), you never know you might realise that what you believe isn't always accurate. Ultimately it doesn't matter how many times you repeat it's 5 years because that is what you believe, it will still be only 2 years until they change the ISV legislation.

If you're that determined to prove your statements are correct, quote the section from the ISV law where the phrase "new immigrant" is used or any section in there where it states you have 6 months to start the import process, rather than linking to unrelated matters. Unfortunately you won't be able to because they don't exist.

Last edited by Bomber Harris; Feb 11th 2020 at 4:23 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion isn't at all misinformed but rater is based on the experience of helping new immigrants get started in their new life here including importing & matriculating a great many (in 3 figures) of cars here so if I am wrong then so are a several hundred Customs & IMT staff as well. lol!

Old Feb 11th 2020, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion isn't at all misinformed but rater is based on the experience of helping new immigrants get started in their new life here including importing & matriculating a great many (in 3 figures) of cars here so if I am wrong then so are a several hundred Customs & IMT staff as well. lol!

You just can't admit you've been caught out claiming something that's not true to justify your mistake and would rather make claims that cannot be proven or disproven to suggest you are right. If your claim is to be believed, you have helped "new immigrants" so don't in fact have any knowledge regarding the rules governing returning residents/citizens. I have also had dealings with PT customs and IMT and none of those I've spoken to have ever used the term "new immigrant" even when dealing with a new immigrant, although they have sometimes used the term "new resident", two phrases with two different meanings.

Seeing as you would rather continue to deflect attention away from your mistaken beliefs instead of supporting your assumptions with facts, permit me to provide the facts which prove you are wrong with this extract from Section 3 of the ISV code (I did tell you where it was).
"Estão ainda isentos de imposto os veículos das pessoas de nacionalidade portuguesa ou de outro Estado membro da União Europeia que tenham exercido a sua actividade noutro país, durante 24 meses e cujos rendimentos estejam sujeitos a tributação efectiva em Portugal".
Old Feb 11th 2020, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with that.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good luck with that.
P.S. - You're also 'mistaken' about the Regresso Program, it's just over 4 years, not 5+ years as you claim.

"Sejam emigrantes que tenham saído de Portugal até 31 de dezembro de 2015".