Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving UK plated car in Portugal

Driving UK plated car in Portugal

Old Feb 10th 2020, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving UK plated car in Portugal

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm not sure what significance passports have - I was just pointing out that those items are not actually contradictory.
I might not have made that clear.... Sorry.

A EUMS passport holder will drive the car in & can register residency as a right so can pretty well plan when to do that (pretty much) down to the hour of the particular day, whereas a holder of a non EUMS passport will (dependent on situation) be applying for a visa such as GV or one of the Type D variants or citizenship through marriage, descent or (now) ascent & won't be able to be certain what day, let alone what time that residency will be granted & that of course makes the timing of when to start the matriculation process a bit of a lottery so much harder for them.

By contradictory, I was referring to one law saying a foreign registered car may only remain in PT for 6 months before beginning the matriculation process or being returned to the country of registration for 6 further months whilst another says 12 months to begin the process but the 2nd half of that period would mean the vehicle was here illegally................ Which is why people would be well advised to consider 6 months as the limit & better to get it done sooner rather than later.

Which in turn makes it even harder for the non EUMS passport holders............. Especially as SEF have such long waiting periods to get an appointment.

Muito complicado as they say here.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
..............a PT registered trailer or caravan cannot be legally towed by a PT registered car.
That's not right, it is totally legal for a PT registered car to tow a PT registered trailer.

Old Feb 10th 2020, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Unless, of course, you and the car don't arrive in Portugal at the same time.

You could fulfil the ownership / residency conditions in the country of origin, arrive in Portugal and deal with importing your car 11 months later.
Absolutely.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
That's not right, it is totally legal for a PT registered car to tow a PT registered trailer.
You're right....... It's my typo.

I should have said a PT car can ONLY tow a PT registered trailer or caravan.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 7:23 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there will be better threads on which to thrash out the details of exactly how non-EU citizens can both comply with all the requirements and benefit from the exemption from ISV when transferring residence, seeing as that's going to be such an issue for UK citizens come next year.

However, just one observation on the foregoing - none of the usually reliable websites mentions having to produce a residency registration certificate or resident visa for Portugal as part of the process, so it may be that the importation can at least be started without one having yet been issued.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure there will be better threads on which to thrash out the details of exactly how non-EU citizens can both comply with all the requirements and benefit from the exemption from ISV when transferring residence, seeing as that's going to be such an issue for UK citizens come next year.

However, just one observation on the foregoing - none of the usually reliable websites mentions having to produce a residency registration certificate or resident visa for Portugal as part of the process, so it may be that the importation can at least be started without one having yet been issued.
The concession is a new immigrant concession & one is only a new immigrant when the Residencia is granted & until it is granted the applicant is a tourist & therefore not eligible for the new immigrant tax free concession because he/she is not a new immigrant. lol!
Old Feb 11th 2020, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

... However, just one observation on the foregoing - none of the usually reliable websites mentions having to produce a residency registration certificate or resident visa for Portugal as part of the process, so it may be that the importation can at least be started without one having yet been issued.
I could be wrong but can't anyone, including non-residents, import a vehicle? They can certainly own a Portuguese car. The (new) residency condition only affects the rate of ISV to be paid at import, not the import process itself, and presumably comes later in the process.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
I could be wrong but can't anyone, including non-residents, import a vehicle? They can certainly own a Portuguese car. The (new) residency condition only affects the rate of ISV to be paid at import, not the import process itself, and presumably comes later in the process.
They can but they have to pay the matriculation fee whilst a new immigrant gets a tax waiver on one vehicle per adult new immigrant if the new immigrant & vehicle fit the criteria for the concession.

That said, there is talk of ordinary residents getting a similar concession for 1 vehicle per person per 10 years but that hasn't happened yet & there has been talk of it several times before.

I haven't looked into it much but am told by PT friends that it used to be available many years ago but was scrapped.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

The concession is a new immigrant concession & one is only a new immigrant when the Residencia is granted & until it is granted the applicant is a tourist & therefore not eligible for the new immigrant tax free concession because he/she is not a new immigrant. lol!
It isn't a "new immigrant" concession, it's available to anyone who transfers their residence to Portugal, including returning Portuguese citizens.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

It isn't a "new immigrant" concession, it's available to anyone who transfers their residence to Portugal, including returning Portuguese citizens.
I don't mean new imigrant as in (only) never lived in PT before but rather what the Govt considers new immigrant & that does indeed include returning former emigres who have not lived in PT for 5 + years.................... and at the risk of going off topic, returning emigres & descendants of such can also apply for other benefits such as the Regresso Program.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 12:59 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that that seems entirely reasonable and logical, it does make the lack of any mention of such a document, on a list which specifically mentions a requirement for another document in the case of foreign citizens, particularly conspicuous by its absence. And I have checked a number of sources. So I'd say that it is an assumption, albeit a perfectly reasonable one, as opposed to a raging certainty.

I'm not interested enough at the moment to pursue this to the death, it's just a curiosity and a suggestion that maybe the requirements at the outset possibly allow for the initiation of the process pending the conclusion of other formalities.

It would be a good thing, though, if in the future we could somehow manage to arrive at a lucid, achievable description of the sequence and the requirements as opposed to a confusing mass of how difficult it is because of alleged conflicts. I'm fairly sure the concession is there to be availed of by those who qualify and not simply turned down out of hand or made impossible to request, so I think I'll reserve judgement on the actual documentation required at any stage until I come across something which can be relied upon and which adds to what is already on the official sites.

I'm actually quite intrigued by the notion of somebody arriving in this country with a houseful of possessions and a car without a clue as to whether they'll be granted a residency visa but that's another matter.

We're way off the topic originally raised now though, so (and with apologies to the OP for the lengthy detour) I'll make this my last comment on this particular matter on this thread.

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
I'm going by the AT (and other assorted sources) description of the process of requesting the exemption : Isenção do ISV por ocasião da transferência de residência de um Estado-Membro ou de um país terceiro para Portugal , in particular :

Last edited by Red Eric; Feb 11th 2020 at 1:09 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't mean new imigrant as in (only) never lived in PT before but rather what the Govt considers new immigrant & that does indeed include returning former emigres who have not lived in PT for 5 + years..........
Why use the phrase "new immigrant" if that isn't what you meant?

Try 2 years instead of "5+ years" for a returning Portguese citizen to claim a tax free import.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why use the phrase "new immigrant" if that isn't what you meant?

Try 2 years instead of "5+ years" for a returning Portguese citizen to claim a tax free import.
Because that's how most of the legislation refer to the concession.

But I think you'll find it is 5+ years & the same time limit also applies to the Regresso Program.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Because that's how most of the legislation refer to the concession.

But I think you'll find it is 5+ years & the same time limit also applies to the Regresso Program.
No, that isn't how it is referred to in the legislation, in fact nowhere in the legislation is the term "new immigrant" used. The legislation refers to Transferência de residência, which is defined as;
Estão isentos de imposto os veículos da propriedade de pessoas, maiores de 18 anos, que transfiram a sua residência de um Estado-Membro da União Europeia ou de país terceiro para território nacional, desde que estejam reunidas as condições estabelecidas nos artigos 59.º e 60.º. (Redação dada pela Lei n.º 114/2017, de 29 de dezembro)

I don't know about the Regresso Program (which is something completely different), but Subsection 3 of the ISV legislation quite clearly states it's 2 years for returning Portuguese citizens.

Last edited by Bomber Harris; Feb 11th 2020 at 1:37 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

The translation of your quote is last para below but doesn't relly refer to the case in point & doesn't even have mention of a time period but the entire legislation is considerably longer than just a few words & I think you'll find it is 5 years.

On a broader note, all legislation seems to be related somewhere & the Simplex & Regresso programs are a good example where one enables the other.

https://www.simplex.gov.pt/

https://iefponline.iefp.pt/IEFP/veRe...CNyHr5uCzdATYA

Vehicles of the property of persons, over 18 years of age, who transfer their residence from a Member State of the European Union or from a third country to national territory, provided that the conditions laid down in Articles 59 and 60 are met. (Drafting given by Law No. 114/2017 of 29 December)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.