Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence Renewal

Driving Licence Renewal

Old Oct 2nd 2021, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

bicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura about
Default Driving Licence Renewal

My Portuguese driving licence expires in a few months. Has anyone had recent experience of renewing it? Can it all be done online (apart from the medical obviously)?
Any hints and tips appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Oct 3rd 2021, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence Renewal

We did both ours in July. Got the medical and then went to the local driving school. Paid them and then got the paper one, until the new one's arrived in the post a few weeks later.
Old Oct 3rd 2021, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bicabica
My Portuguese driving licence expires in a few months. Has anyone had recent experience of renewing it? Can it all be done online (apart from the medical obviously)?
Any hints and tips appreciated.

Many thanks.
Medical needs to be done then all can be done online. Register on http://www.imtonline.pt/ You can do it with your email and NIF . If you enter all your personal data correctly your existing licence details will show up and the medical certificate . If a problem they respond quickly to emails . I had an issue ( Error Doc 1 ) because I did not identify correctly my Residence certificate , should be : Certificado de Residencia Camarário if you got it from the Town Hall . Renewal costs €13,50 pay via MB. New licence will be delivered to your registered postal address
Old Oct 12th 2021, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

bicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura about

A rather belated thanks for the responses. Very helpful.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know where you live, Bicabica, but if you are in the Algarve do not apply to Faro, try Beja - there is a huge backlog at Faro. They take your licence and give you a paper receipt - you can drive in Portugal with the receipt, but not abroad so not terribly convenient.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

Where is best most convenient good value to get medical. I have utente number but never been to Centro Saúde , I would feel bad taking Drs time when they are busy for a driving licence medical
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campanula
Where is best most convenient good value to get medical. I have utente number but never been to Centro Saúde , I would feel bad taking Drs time when they are busy for a driving licence medical
Advice to us was to ask in a local driving school ... they have local contacts of doctors in the scheme - usual cost seems to be about 35 euros for the Medical exam.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

The previous post from Rambling Archer seems like a good recommendation. We just went to our nearest Private Clinic and paid to see a Doctor there. I don't think we needed an appointment but it depends on the Clinic I suppose.
Old Oct 23rd 2021, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I’ll sort out the medical. I’ve accessed the form but what a hassle . I have to convert my photos of my documents to pdf which I’ve worked out how to do but now it says the 2nd one is too big . More solutions to be found . Is the certificate of Authenticity of your licence the pink paper part of a UK licence
Old Oct 23rd 2021, 8:08 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Is the certificate of Authenticity of your licence the pink paper part of a UK licence
No, it's another document - D737 - which you must apply to DVLA for.
Old Oct 24th 2021, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok thanks good job I’ve got some months left to complete this
Old Oct 26th 2021, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Artfuldodger128 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just went to the UK DVLA website and searched for this D737 form - it returned nothing.
Do you know what it looks like?
Has it been replaced by the the check code page?
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Old Oct 26th 2021, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128
I just went to the UK DVLA website and searched for this D737 form - it returned nothing.
Do you know what it looks like?
Has it been replaced by the the check code page?
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
I applied successfully (before end 2020) with just the check code, others were told firmly that they must have the real D737 and had to call DVLA to get one posted (you won't find it listed anywhere on the website, as it has been officially replaced by the check code for most purposes, but they can still issue it)
Old Oct 26th 2021, 10:06 am
Just Joined

MGFR is an unknown quantity at this point

Fortunately, IMT will now accept either the D737 or the Check code (which is immediately generated on the last tab on the url link you provide). You can call the DVLA to ask for the D737, but it takes weeks. The "Brits in Portugal" facebook page gives more detail.
Old Oct 26th 2021, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can anyone recommend me a driving school in east Algarve where you can get the medical done and how much did it cost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.