British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Driving licence medical - what's involved? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/driving-licence-medical-whats-involved-940754/)

Juleskitoo Sep 20th 2021 2:59 pm

Driving licence medical - what's involved?

Hello, I have managed to finally book a driving medical to exchange my UK licence for a Portuguese one, but wanted to check whether an eye test is also required?

Many thanks guys,

Jules

Loafing Along Sep 20th 2021 3:02 pm

Re: Driving licence medical - what's involved?

Originally Posted by Juleskitoo (Post 13053501)
Hello, I have managed to finally book a driving medical to exchange my UK licence for a Portuguese one, but wanted to check whether an eye test is also required?

Many thanks guys,

Jules

Normally if you only wear glasses

Juleskitoo Sep 20th 2021 6:06 pm

Thanks Loafing, that helps. I don't as a matter of fact.

Thanks

Alan PT Sep 20th 2021 6:34 pm

Mine did, but that may be because my license still wrongly says I need glasses (had laser surgery some time ago)

I had the medical online during lockdown, so the eye test consisted of the doctor showing an eye chart on my laptop screen (3ft in front of me...) and confirming that I could read it ;)

ouriquejan Sep 21st 2021 8:03 am

It very much depends on your doctor. Mine just asked me if I wear glasses for driving (as I wear them all the time, we had a bit of a laugh about that) then asked which categories I wanted.

My husband had to read off an eye chart, but he had a different doctor.

ShazD Sep 21st 2021 8:45 am

My husband and I (don't wear glasses for driving) were required to get an eye test as well as a medical.

Artfuldodger128 Sep 26th 2021 9:09 am

Juleskitoo - when you say you've finally managed to book a driving medical, can you explain the reason behind the delay?

Is it because there were simply no appointments available at your GP surgery, or something infrastructure related behind the whole process? I like to know because if it's admin / infrastructure related then much more forward planning will be needed by me. Obviously if it is personal then just say personal will be sufficient. Thank you.

Artfuldodger128 Sep 26th 2021 9:47 am

And in addition, once you've submitted all the paperwork, how was the new Portuguese license received? Was it sent via the post or you had to go to their office to collect it?

Loafing Along Sep 26th 2021 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128 (Post 13055766)
And in addition, once you've submitted all the paperwork, how was the new Portuguese license received? Was it sent via the post or you had to go to their office to collect it?

Delivered to your door by registered post

Sunseeker1st Sep 26th 2021 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128 (Post 13055766)

Sent to our PO Box, no signature required.

liveaboard Sep 26th 2021 8:31 pm

I had an category upgrade to my PT license a year ago, and they gave me a temporary card.
The new license will come by post they said.

Maybe someday, maybe...

Midgo Sep 28th 2021 7:52 am

When I exchanged mine a couple of years ago I had to have a psychological report for my class for slightly heavier vehicles (cant remember the class) as I got my license in the '80s
Then it turned out that the official online simulation was wrong and I couldn't keep that class anyway
The doctor also sent me for an eye test and blood tests ....
so, I think it may be a case of YMMV

Alan PT Sep 28th 2021 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Midgo (Post 13056457)
When I exchanged mine a couple of years ago I had to have a psychological report for my class for slightly heavier vehicles (cant remember the class) as I got my license in the '80s
Then it turned out that the official online simulation was wrong and I couldn't keep that class anyway
The doctor also sent me for an eye test and blood tests ....
so, I think it may be a case of YMMV

Ah, yes, that's a good point. I was going to get the psychological test in order to keep some of the classes above B but then discovered that this is only possible if you actually passed a separate test for those categories. If you just got them "for free" in the UK after passing the car test then you can't keep them

Rambling archer Sep 30th 2021 3:02 pm

Just to add - we had our Medical for driving licence exchange done today (south Central PT) - no eye test. Questioned me - yes I wear glasses for driving but have contract lenses in at the moment - no eye test. Questioned SHMBO - no glasses for driving, just for close reading - no eye test. So not quite sure what he uses the eyetesting board up on the wall for ...
Otherwise the test was just a chat about any diseases we might have, what tablets we might be taking, and filled out the form and sent it off to IMT.
He gave us a Certificate in case anyone should need to see it or if we have complications with IMT. Price 35 euros each.

Also to confirm that as before Brexit we were EU member country citizens and also allowed to keep our EU (Spanish) driving licences, as long as they were registered with IMT, and all that happened 2 years ago - although the paper from IMT says you have to revalidate (which we thought meant to get it updated to carry on til the expiry date of the licences) they actually do mean that you then have to exchange it for a PT one as resident in PT (in spite of what the EU says to the contrary!) - hence the sudden need for the Medical Exams!

We have been communicating with IMT emails and they have been remarkably quick with answers (if somewhat vague in their responses and needing clarification!). Perhaps the email queue is diminishing as Covid settles down somewhat so anyone who has longstanding business with IMT might want to try again? [email protected] was the best at answering !

Artfuldodger128 Oct 16th 2021 4:53 pm

Question - can the medical test be done at a local government health centre, or does it have to be done privately?

If it can be done at the local government health centre, do they charge for the service? If so, then how much?