Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving licence expiring

Driving licence expiring

Old May 29th 2023, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving licence expiring

So my wife turns 60 in a couple of months and needs to renew her PT driving licence as it is due to expire on her birthday. She's had a medical. Question is does she need to go to the local IMTT office to do this or can she do it via a driving school? We've tried to do it online but the IMTT website won't allow it.
Old May 29th 2023, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice
Default Re: Driving licence expiring

My husband can't log in to renew his either.. He wrote IMTT and they said it is because he doesn't have a Citizen's Card!!! ????
Old May 29th 2023, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine done through a driving school; it cost a few, but IMTT is 100km from me so it probably worked out close to what I would have spent (because I would have inevitably had to go 3 times if I did it myself).
Old May 29th 2023, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
My husband can't log in to renew his either.. He wrote IMTT and they said it is because he doesn't have a Citizen's Card!!! ????
That is not correct - their web clearly states :a Citizens card or other identity document as long as it exists on the IMT database with a valid image."Os condutores residentes em território nacional portadores de cartão de cidadão ou com outro documento de identificação desde que seja coincidente com o existente na base de dados de condutores e com imagem válida no IMT."
Can i suggest the following :
1. Log in / register on the site : https://servicos.imt-ip.pt/login.asp...2fdefault.aspx . The best option is the fiscal number. Enter the area "Conductores"
2. If current driving licence shows up as "Valida" you should be able to proceed to the next step "pedido de carta de Conducao "
3. The medical certificate if correctly issued by a registered doctor will automatically show up during this process.
4. Follow the process to the end and you will receive payment instructions - this can only be done after 24 hours not before

If any of the above fails you will have to go to an IMT office to do it all.

Old May 30th 2023, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
That is not correct - their web clearly states :a Citizens card or other identity document as long as it exists on the IMT database with a valid image."Os condutores residentes em território nacional portadores de cartão de cidadão ou com outro documento de identificação desde que seja coincidente com o existente na base de dados de condutores e com imagem válida no IMT."
Can i suggest the following :
1. Log in / register on the site : https://servicos.imt-ip.pt/login.asp...2fdefault.aspx . The best option is the fiscal number. Enter the area "Conductores"
2. If current driving licence shows up as "Valida" you should be able to proceed to the next step "pedido de carta de Conducao "
3. The medical certificate if correctly issued by a registered doctor will automatically show up during this process.
4. Follow the process to the end and you will receive payment instructions - this can only be done after 24 hours not before

If any of the above fails you will have to go to an IMT office to do it all.
I've been able to.register on the website but the licence isn't found. I suspect it's because the licence was issued about 7 years ago, prior to the facility to apply online.
Old May 30th 2023, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

we can renew ours at the local camara just go in with your doctors letter and he does it all for you simples
Old May 30th 2023, 1:06 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by santaanita
we can renew ours at the local camara just go in with your doctors letter and he does it all for you simples
Tha Câmaras themselves won't offer this service but a Espaço or Loja do Cidadão may, so I expect you have one of those located in the same building.

You can probably check out where your local counters are and whether they provide that service here : Service at Citizen Spots

Isn't the medical report obligatorily submitted electronically?
Old May 30th 2023, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borisface
I've been able to.register on the website but the licence isn't found. I suspect it's because the licence was issued about 7 years ago, prior to the facility to apply online.
This happened to me a few years ago when I first registered : Error Code : Doc1 .

I sent an email asking for clarification and it was related to my incorrect use of "Certificado de Residencia Camarario " this I changed in the drop down menu and up popped by full licence details so enabling me to do the renewal online.
Old May 30th 2023, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Tha Câmaras themselves won't offer this service but a Espaço or Loja do Cidadão may, so I expect you have one of those located in the same building.

You can probably check out where your local counters are and whether they provide that service here : Service at Citizen Spots

Isn't the medical report obligatorily submitted electronically?
sorry how can you say they wont when i have renewed mine at 70 and i have other expat friends who have done this at Gois camara
Old May 30th 2023, 4:55 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by santaanita
sorry how can you say they wont when i have renewed mine at 70 and i have other expat friends who have done this at Gois camara
Because that's where your Espaço Cidadão is located?

Not every Câmara will house one, though, was my point. Mine doesn't. They deal with central government issues as opposed to local authority business looked after by the Câmara itself.
Old May 30th 2023, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

The error code was the doc 1, I have emailled the IMTT support line. In the meantime, there's a citizen's shop just down the road. I'll go and have a chat.
Old May 31st 2023, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Because that's where your Espaço Cidadão is located?

Not every Câmara will house one, though, was my point. Mine doesn't. They deal with central government issues as opposed to local authority business looked after by the Câmara itself.
Even with brand new glasses i managed to miss read your post,my apologies.
Old May 31st 2023, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that non-eu residents need to have their licenses renewed by IMT, can't use the local offices.
I guess that will now include British people.
Let us know how it shakes out.
Old May 31st 2023, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I was told that non-eu residents need to have their licenses renewed by IMT, can't use the local offices.
I guess that will now include British people.
Let us know how it shakes out.
didn't think a non resident could have a pt license.

Last edited by santaanita; May 31st 2023 at 2:24 pm.
Old May 31st 2023, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by borisface
The error code was the doc 1, I have emailled the IMTT support line. In the meantime, there's a citizen's shop just down the road. I'll go and have a chat.
That was my error too and following their email was able to correct it and complete process online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.