British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Driving Licence Exchange (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/driving-licence-exchange-944689/)

Mnemosyne Jul 10th 2022 8:09 pm

Driving Licence Exchange

On the thorny topic of Driving Licence Exchange, I wonder if anyone else has seen this Expresso article dated 7 July 2022 :

https://amp.expresso.pt/sociedade/20...tugal-d6108b2b

It seems to be suggesting that the UK is included in the list of countries whose citizens may continue to drive in Portugal on their UK licences until expiry. I had understood that a UK licence was only valid for 185 days from entry into Portugal, in the case of tourists, and 90 days in the case of Residents.

Any thoughts anyone.

Bomber Harris Jul 12th 2022 11:52 am

Re: Driving Licence Exchange

Law number 46/2022 which comes into effect on the 1st August, terms and conditions apply.

wellinever Jul 16th 2022 6:02 am

https://dre.pt/dre/en/detail/decree-...2022-185971761

wellinever Jul 16th 2022 6:04 am

Cant see why they dont just allow those Brits over 60, now resident in PT to simply apply for PT license as and when their UK license expires.

Bomber Harris Jul 16th 2022 11:33 am

Originally Posted by wellinever (Post 13129149)
Cant see why they dont just allow those Brits over 60, now resident in PT to simply apply for PT license as and when their UK license expires.

The new amendments bring parity between UK and PT licence holders, what you suggest would give more favourable treatment to UK immigrants than their own citizens have. A UK licence issued after age 60 is valid till age 70, a PT licence issued at the same age is only valid to age 65.

m2m2012 Jul 17th 2022 1:56 pm

Here's another article on this topic:

https://www.portugalresident.com/dri...d-to-exchange/

Australia is on this list which is good news but in practice it might be better to still change over to a Portuguese license. Firstly, drive over the border into Spain and you'll need a IDP together with your Australian license; don't have one and you get caught it's a fine. The yearly cost of buying an Australian IDP and having it posted over is around $A40. Secondly, Australia, like the USA, has not signed the 1968 Convention on Road Traffic which means license classes are not identical...this makes a difference if you are licensed to drive heavy vehicles. In such a situation you would need an IDP to be able to prove to Portuguese authorities what category of truck (how many axles) and what vehicle weight you are licensed to drive. And thirdly, the government may have changed the law but how about insurance companies? Yes, they will take your money and give you a policy but when you have an accident and you make a claim, will there be problems not having a Portuguese driver's license? You're likely only to find out after you make the claim. And lastly, if you're in your 50s and hope to live another ten years you might as well get a Portuguese driver's license now rather than wait if you have an Australian license for the reasons just listed above.

Pilotabroad Aug 1st 2022 9:22 am

Any more updates on this or specific questions worth asking?
A friend is having lunch with one of the heads at IMT today and has offered to ask.

a_user_has_no_name Aug 1st 2022 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad (Post 13132123)
Any more updates on this or specific questions worth asking?
A friend is having lunch with one of the heads at IMT today and has offered to ask.

Hi Pilotabroad! I'd be curious to know what the current processing times are.

Juleskitoo Aug 1st 2022 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mnemosyne (Post 13128076)
On the thorny topic of Driving Licence Exchange, I wonder if anyone else has seen this Expresso article dated 7 July 2022 :

https://amp.expresso.pt/sociedade/20...tugal-d6108b2b

It seems to be suggesting that the UK is included in the list of countries whose citizens may continue to drive in Portugal on their UK licences until expiry. I had understood that a UK licence was only valid for 185 days from entry into Portugal, in the case of tourists, and 90 days in the case of Residents.

Any thoughts anyone.

My understanding is it depends on whether you are resident or not. If resident in Portugal you need to apply within 6 months of residency being granted and swop your UK licence for a Portuguese one. Although as it took longer than 9 months just to get the medical tests required for a Portuguese licence - this 6 month rule doesn't seem to be enforced strictly.

Bomber Harris Aug 1st 2022 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Juleskitoo (Post 13132155)
My understanding is it depends on whether you are resident or not. If resident in Portugal you need to apply within 6 months of residency being granted and swop your UK licence for a Portuguese one. Although as it took longer than 9 months just to get the medical tests required for a Portuguese licence - this 6 month rule doesn't seem to be enforced strictly.

Your understanding is incorrect, both under the new rules that apply from today, and the old rules that applied before today.

Pilotabroad Aug 2nd 2022 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by a_user_has_no_name (Post 13132124)
Hi Pilotabroad! I'd be curious to know what the current processing times are.

Reply.... "unknown and they are not working to any set time frame, it'll happen when it happens"

MartynCymro Aug 4th 2022 8:21 am

Why would anyone want to keep their British driving licence when they have taken up residence in Portugal? There is nothing special about a UK licence. I went to the local office and exchanged my UK licence for a Portuguese one during my first week here, back in 1993.

a_user_has_no_name Aug 4th 2022 8:48 am

Originally Posted by MartynCymro (Post 13132798)
Why would anyone want to keep their British driving licence when they have taken up residence in Portugal?

In my case, I ride my bike often and like to go overseas, so I don't like the idea of not being able to ride it abroad for an undetermined amount of time (in some cases over a year).

MartynCymro Aug 4th 2022 9:53 am

I had my Portuguese licence within a week of the exchange, and that was back in '93.

a_user_has_no_name Aug 4th 2022 9:59 am

Originally Posted by MartynCymro (Post 13132811)
I had my Portuguese licence within a week of the exchange, and that was back in '93.

Unfortunately it's taking months these days, and in some cases over a year. If it were just a couple of months I wouldn't mind waiting.