Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving licence exchange

Driving licence exchange

Old May 23rd 2022, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence exchange

Originally Posted by 1Steve
Try again, this process (see link below) was only initiated on the 1st April and I got mine about the 20th. I don't think they can refuse you but just refer them to the the procedure in the pdf, It is in Portuguese. When I went the civil servant had to phone a help line to correctly fill in the fields in my application as it was a new procedure to him but all went well and got my NISS there and then.
NISS Na Hora
Are you working or retired? On line info (updated 4th May) still states - The application for the allocation of a Social Security Identification Number on Time (NISS NA HORA) may be submitted by foreign citizens who intend to carry out a professional activity as employees or self-employed workers or their employers or legal representatives.

Artfuldodger128 says he's not working and neither am I, having been retired for a couple of decades.
Old May 23rd 2022, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

No I am not working and I just followed to the letter what it states in the document I linked. I do not see any reference to professional activity.
Try the process and see if it works this time. When I sat down with the guy he knew that i had applied for NISS Na Hora so that must be linked to the phone numbers in the pdf document.
Old May 23rd 2022, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Artfuldodger128 is an unknown quantity at this point

1Steve - you made a comment that you received the appointment date via an SMS.

Question - how far in the future was that appointment for? Was it one week, one month, etc. from the date of the SMS received?
Old May 23rd 2022, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

12 days
Old May 23rd 2022, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

No I am not working and I just followed to the letter what it states in the document I linked. I do not see any reference to professional activity.
Try the process and see if it works this time. When I sat down with the guy he knew that i had applied for NISS Na Hora so that must be linked to the phone numbers in the pdf document.
OK thanks, I'll give it another try when back in country.
Old May 23rd 2022, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

12 days
Thanks. That sounds uncharacteristically prompted and efficient!
Old Jun 4th 2022, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

I am planning to go to the IMT office to have the license exchanged. Does anyone know how long it'll take for the new license to arrive by post after the temporary license issuance?

Also does anyone know if the new license can be picked up from the IMT office instead of being sent?
Old Jun 5th 2022, 11:21 am
Just Joined

a_user_has_no_name is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128
Does anyone know how long it'll take for the new license to arrive by post after the temporary license issuance?
I haven't applied yet but I met a French couple recently who told me they'd just got their Portuguese licences and the whole process took less than 2 months. There's hope.
Old Jun 5th 2022, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Europeans …