Driving licence

Old Oct 9th 2019, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

winniepop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving licence

HI All,

I need to exchenge myUK licence to a PT one now I am resident and brexshit.

I read i 'may'need a medical cert from a Dr. Trouble is, I havent been able to get myself a Dr yet as I am waiting for my social security umber to come through - i completeed the form about 5 weeks ago at work.

I need to do this now as we are near the end of October.

Any ways around this that people know of?

many thanks
Old Oct 9th 2019, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Driving licence

We didn't apply for a social security number, just went along to our Centro de Saúde with passports, residencia and a smile, and got our SNS number there and then, and then took those to a private clinic for the medical (just a bunch of questions really).
Old Oct 9th 2019, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks.... was it a clinic you were already with? was it expensive?

Old Oct 9th 2019, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

No, it was a walk in clinic we had not visited before, all done in one visit. I think we paid a bit too much at around €50, but it varies with the clinic.
Old Oct 9th 2019, 8:02 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there's a way round and that is to register, as opposed to exchanging, the licence.

That's free, doesn't demand a doctor's certificate, keeps you on the right side of the law for the time being and whatever sort of Brexit happens will give you a grace period of at least 90 days subsequent to the exit date (possibly a lot longer or even indefinite) during which you will have time to effect the exchange should it become necessary.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a SS number to get a Utente number & register on the NHS but you do need one to work & whilst you can go to a private Doctor for the letter, you still need a Utente number for him to check on the NHS system to see if you have any impairments that might prevent you driving.

If you're being told you need a SS number to get the Utente number then they're wrong because the rules were changed about 5 years ago as part of Simplex (I think) but you can solve that one by contacting the UK Embassy via their Facebook page & they have a dedicated team working on such problems.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

The health centre in Tavira, where we are registered, told us that they didn't issue health certificates for driving licence purposes, so we went to a private GP up in Porta Nova and paid £40. Took 5 minutes. The only question asked was 'do you wear glasses'.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saz1
The health centre in Tavira, where we are registered, told us that they didn't issue health certificates for driving licence purposes, so we went to a private GP up in Porta Nova and paid £40. Took 5 minutes. The only question asked was 'do you wear glasses'.
Did the same but you do need an Utente number as it is automatically uploaded to the system so that when you turn up for your driving licence renewal they have the record of your medical check.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Yes, there's a way round and that is to register, as opposed to exchanging, the licence.

That's free, doesn't demand a doctor's certificate, keeps you on the right side of the law for the time being and whatever sort of Brexit happens will give you a grace period of at least 90 days subsequent to the exit date (possibly a lot longer or even indefinite) during which you will have time to effect the exchange should it become necessary.

Hi Red
this might be one way for me.....if i become resident in portugal then, in having to change driving license makes it hard when back in UK, as with no UK driving license, if stopped maybe less questions if producing a legal UK license and insurance.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

an update for anhyone else in a similar position....

I registered with a docs no problem without SS number. They just asked for it when it comes through. I have an appointment in the week to get the medical declaration,cost is €4.50.