Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving from Calais to Coimbra

Driving from Calais to Coimbra

Old May 1st 2021, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

todell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving from Calais to Coimbra

We are thinking of driving from the UK in July via Eurotunnel ,France and Spain to Portugal [Covid permitting]. Do any forum members have any experience of doing this route with approximate costs of fuel, Tolls and stopover accommodation .We anticipate one or two stopover periods but have no information on Hotels etc. We have four adults and two children traveling in a seven seater diesel car. Any information would be much appreciated.
Old May 1st 2021, 9:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Calais to Coimbra

Originally Posted by todell
We are thinking of driving from the UK in July via Eurotunnel ,France and Spain to Portugal [Covid permitting]. Do any forum members have any experience of doing this route with approximate costs of fuel, Tolls and stopover accommodation .We anticipate one or two stopover periods but have no information on Hotels etc. We have four adults and two children traveling in a seven seater diesel car. Any information would be much appreciated.
Hi, at the time of writing, you'll have no problem transiting France after 3rd May. But keep an eye on the "Transiting through France" thread on the France forum between now and your trip, since Prés. Macron is gradually deconfining France until 30th June, without knowing whether this new-found freedom will lead to even higher Covid figures. Rules will change depending on the Situation....
Old May 1st 2021, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt there are too many people who could work out fuel costs for a diesel 7 seater carrying 6 passengers.Try the michelin site. They have a calculator for approx costs. Again there is a french website where you can work out toll charges. Google calculate toll charges for France etc .Same with Spain and PT. WE drove the other way last year and needed 2 overnight stops (and especially if you have children).This also depends if there is more than 1 driver and how long you feel you can drive safely and comfortably.
Old May 1st 2021, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point

Not driven from Calais but driven to Castelo Branco from Caen plenty of times, so a fair bit shorter. Not a journey I relish as it's long, boring, tiring, and in July will be hot. Calais will be another 4-5 hours I'd have thought. We take two days to do it taking 2 hours each driving stint and stay in a hotel somewhere around the border. It's generally 8-9 hours a day driving with minimal stops - maybe a total of 1 hour stops per day. France is a better place to stay overnight as you don't have to wait until 10pm before you can get a meal in the evening. The roads are good and fast but can be very busy around the Spanish/French border with big lorries. Sunday is the best day to avoid them. The tolls are generally in France as IIRC the Spanish roads are toll free, then you've got the tolls in PT. From memory, French tolls were around 120 euros, PT about 20. Diesel maybe another 150 each way. Then an overnight stay, food etc so probably not much change from £500 each way for a couple. Best bet is to look on something like booking.com for accommodation. The worst thing is sitting for 2 long days in a car. Day 1 not too bad but by day 2 the appeal has worn off. Also most of France that you pass through is flat and boring, and most of Spain, from Burgos to Salamanca, the same. I often find that the long crossing to Santander or Bilbao works out no more expensive, is quicker, easier and more convenient. Sorry I can't be more positive.
Old May 1st 2021, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

the following website has some interesting information https://www.franceforfamilies.com/tr...ernight-stops/
Old May 1st 2021, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

We drove from Pau to Guarda in Portugal in a day with a one hour sleep stop, so you will need to stop at least once overnight. It depends on how many hours a day the driver is comfortable driving and how ratty the kids get. You may need a two night stop. I don't think it will cost more than 100 euros for tolls. I'll get my husband to work out the diesel cost, but yours will be less as we have a diesel campervan.
Old May 1st 2021, 11:02 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered going via the Plymouth-Santander ferry? It's a 20hr ferry ride, and the Portuguese border is about four hours from the ferry port.
Old May 1st 2021, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

santander to vila formosa 716 k what are you driving a formula 1 car got to be 7 hours not 4
Old May 1st 2021, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by santaanita
santander to vila formosa 716 k what are you driving a formula 1 car got to be 7 hours not 4
I did say the Portuguese border...
Old May 1st 2021, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I did say the Portuguese border...
fair enough lets hope they live in chaves
Old May 1st 2021, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by santaanita
fair enough lets hope they live in chaves
I was thinking more about reducing the number of stops outside Portugal..
Old May 2nd 2021, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

I use the Furkot website for my long distance trips: https://trips.furkot.com You can set many parameters, it indicates hotels close to your stopping points and will calculate fuel costs etc if you enter your car's performance data.I've used it for trips to UK and Germany.
Old May 2nd 2021, 9:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I made the mistake of driving from Caen to the South of France after an overnight ferry, my ex was driving and we stopped at traffic lights in one town, the lights turned green but the car stayed still, I looked across and she was asleep, woke her and we drove to a layby and had an hours sleep. It's more tiring driving a RHD car in France, more to be aware of, so never underestimate how tired the driver will be. preferably have two drivers and ensure that you all get enough sleep.
Old May 2nd 2021, 11:34 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the ferry to Spain from the S of England makes more sense.

Arrive ( I think ) early morning and make it into Portugal on the same day.

I doubt if the extra cost of the longer ferry plus cabins would be greater than all the faffing around in France with overnights and what not.

In addition, you exclude one whole country and its Covid rules which may change in a way which does not suit you.
Old May 2nd 2021, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

I used to do Calais to Algarve one hit catching an hours kip in the car.

Then I got DVT and a PE.

Can't emphasise enough that need for proper stops and overnights.

Like other people have said I now do Plymouth - Santander and then will throw in one sometimes two overnights in Spain on the way down.

Being sat in the same position for hours on end is a sure fire way to encourage DVT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.