Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving Back to Porugal - Advice?

Wikiposts

Driving Back to Porugal - Advice?

Old Apr 17th 2020, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Back to Porugal - Advice?

bicabica.

Have done Calais - Algarve in one 26 hour stint, just taking short sleeps every few hours. It's doable in one go and the two days sleep you need after it is two self isolation days you don't need to plan for😀
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Driving from Lisbon airport to the Algarve?
I notice that I can take a flight from UK to Lisbon with Ryanair (saw a flight Ryanair plane on flightradar24 at Lisbon airport today) looking at their website there are daily flights shown, so I assume that they are going.
If I was to do that and hire a car at Lisbon airport, what are the chances of being allowed to drive to my house (on my own) in the Algarve without a problem with plod.
This would be beginning May
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:44 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Driving from Lisbon airport to the Algarve?
I notice that I can take a flight from UK to Lisbon with Ryanair (saw a flight Ryanair plane on flightradar24 at Lisbon airport today) looking at their website there are daily flights shown, so I assume that they are going.
If I was to do that and hire a car at Lisbon airport, what are the chances of being allowed to drive to my house (on my own) in the Algarve without a problem with plod.
This would be beginning May
Zero. The GNR are stopping all vehicles - so you'll need a good excuse.... and in Portugal that means documentation.
In 15Km on the IC1 from Ourique, SWMBO was stopped twice - and it's even easier to track you on the motorway.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Guess the flights are full of Lisbon people, but same thing presumebaly applies to those going the other way (NOT)
Old Apr 21st 2020, 10:26 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

What about cab from airport to train station ?

Then train to Faro and along the Linha do Algarve ?

Would that work ? Are trains and taxis functioning either as normal or maybe Sunday service ?
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately I will need to hire a car during theperiod of being in Portugal and for that reason I also asked the Hire car company that I normally use at Faro airport for any info regarding hiring a car.......received a reply from them this morning.
It would appear that when hiring a car at the moment the hirer must sign a document which says that `they will only use the car for specific reasons....ie Supermarket visit, GP or medication.......`
So as has been stated that does not include travelling outside or the county of residence.
Guess I will have to postpone until at least this county blockade is removed
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:42 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Why not request the company to check whether ' Viajar a minha casa ( address provided with proof of ownership such as local taxes receipts ) da qual sou proprietário ' would be sufficient excuse?

If planes are disgorging hundreds of passengers every day into Lisbon airport they must all be travelling to their homes, surely ? And not all of them will be in Lisbon.

But anyway my suggestion ( taxi to railway station then train to the Linha do Algarve ) might still work. You would just have to hire a car locally on arrival.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how your mind works, after reading this thread a few times it's only today I noticed Portugal is spelt wrong in the thread title
I think it is the constant internet bombardment makes me only skip read things nowadays.
No offence to OP meant.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 3:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Funny how your mind works, after reading this thread a few times it's only today I noticed Portugal is spelt wrong in the thread title
I think it is the constant internet bombardment makes me only skip read things nowadays.
No offence to OP meant.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

BTW I aslo olny niteocd tihs morhing taht the taherd ttlie has the T msniisg.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 22nd 2020 at 3:47 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 3:29 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
That's true. It's also the reason why you can be trained to speed-read without loss of comprehension.
The way some of our parish write.... that's just as well!!
Old Apr 24th 2020, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Update
Just spoke with my local GNR station...the loiceman I soke with spoke perfect English

My question was

1) I am in UK
2) I am a UK resident
3) I own a property in Portugal.
4) Would I be allowed to hire a car in Lisbon and drive down to my house in the Algarve.

His answer was: YES.
I mentioned about the paperwork I was told about by the hire car company, and he said that is the same for a Portuguese resident as non resident.
He suggested that it would be advisable to carry documents to prove that you actually own a porperty in Portugal and that is where you are going.........
Old Apr 24th 2020, 3:51 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

That's good to know ~ but I don't suppose you could ask him to put it in an email, stating his rank ?

Old Apr 24th 2020, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

hi
I must admit to thinking about it at the time I was talking to him........he was quite clear in what and how he replied to me, there was no erm ahh or hang on a minute, so I felt pretty confident in what he said,,,,,and as such whilst I did think about asking him if he would do that, I felt that he had been good enough to talk with a non resident, who clearly wanted to return to what is in fact not my main home (as a non resident).......but I take your point and maybe I will call a different GNR station tomorrow.
If you are interested, and your circumstances are similar to mine, perhaps you could call your local GNR to ask the same question
Old Apr 24th 2020, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Just found a good supply of Super Bock in my local town !!! £1.60 for 660cl......at least thats a result.....
Old Apr 24th 2020, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
Just found a good supply of Super Bock in my local town !!! £1.60 for 660cl......at least thats a result.....
Is that a 660, looks like a 330 in the picture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.