Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driver´s licence: renew (UK) or exchange (pt) ?

Driver´s licence: renew (UK) or exchange (pt) ?

Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driver´s licence: renew (UK) or exchange (pt) ?

My UK (EU) driving licence comes up for renewal in August. I can´t renew it online since the DVLA will only use your passport photo if it is less than 5 years old. So that means I´ll HAVE to pop back to the UK & do all the necessaries there. Then wait 3 weeks.

ALTERNATIVELY - as I´m currently resident in Portugal, would it not make more sense just to exchange for a Portuguese licence ? Seems straightforward enough and costs 30 Euros.

BUT my question is - when I apply for the exchange, will I also have it renewed as well ?? Or does the original expiry date (fixed by the DVLA in the UK) still apply ? Because if the original expiry date still applies then all I have done is to exchange one licence for another but I am still left with the problem of the renewal.

In case anyone knows, let me know. Thanks!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

joseph69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driver´s licence: renew (UK) or exchange (pt) ?

Hello,
I also did have a UK ..driving licence...And Exchange to Portugese.
But once u are 60 .You have to Exchange every 5 years...And when u get 70 ...u too every 2 years ..
Its easy..You to any eye test..And Medical test..
Pass ..
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Driver´s licence: renew (UK) or exchange (pt) ?

Just to let you know they are quoting up to 4 months at the moment to renew a PT licence, when we came here it took us 3 weeks to change from a UK licence to a PT one, my wife had to renew her PT licence in April because of her age so sent it in March, received a piece of paper that allows you to drive ONLY in Portugal and got the licence back last week.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies so far. I am 45 years old, so not retired yet. I still work - and I am likely to continue working here for another 2 years at least. The DVLA have new rules regarding renewals. For a start you actually need to be UK resident - which I haven´t been since 2007. I´ll be quite happy to exchange it for a Portuguese one - even if it takes a while for them to get one out for me. I can always use the temporary paper to continue driving here - and if I visit the UK in the meantime, I won´t hire/need a car.

And if I ever go back to the UK for good, I can always exchange it back since I will then be resident there.

I´ve filled in the relevant form off the IMTT´s website. They need my UK licence, a photocopy of the passport, plus two passport size photos, plus a letter from my doctor to say I am fit to drive + 30 Euros. I´m already registered with a doctor here - so I can get the doctor´s note. If they can give me 5 years renewal - brilliant!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to change it to a PT licence you MUST do it before the old one expires and the easy way to get it done is go into a PT driving school and have them handle it all for you....... usual cost for their services is about E40 or E50 but it's a lot less hassle.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

I think the problem will be if you want to drive outside of Portugal during the time your licence is being changed over. You will not be able to drive in any other country then Portugal. Your choice
Joao
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joao
I think the problem will be if you want to drive outside of Portugal during the time your licence is being changed over. You will not be able to drive in any other country then Portugal. Your choice
Joao
That´s OK - even if I have to wait a month or two I don´t plan to drive anywhere outside Portugal while the application is being processed.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I changed to a PT licence a year or two ago; I was getting a bit confused by conflicting advice, and stressed by the idea of many journeys to IMTT in Faro [100km each way for me] and language barrier problems.
Then I went to one of the driving schools in Lagos; they had the correct info [since they are actually working with these things daily] and they did the IMTT part. well worth the 40 euros, probably cheaper than the fuel I would have used.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I changed to a PT licence a year or two ago; I was getting a bit confused by conflicting advice, and stressed by the idea of many journeys to IMTT in Faro [100km each way for me] and language barrier problems.
Then I went to one of the driving schools in Lagos; they had the correct info [since they are actually working with these things daily] and they did the IMTT part. well worth the 40 euros, probably cheaper than the fuel I would have used.
LOL! Probably right. I had no idea that driving schools also do this service - so it gives me an alternative to having to endure the often long queues at the IMTT desk. Don´t mind paying a bit extra just not to have to queue for ages.

Last year I actually went to the IMTT office to register my UK driver´s licence. With hindsight, it would have made far more sense to exchange it for a Pt one instead as I would have paid the same amount, but got 5 years on the renewal! Oh well...we live and learn (and pay!)

At moment I need to sort out the letter from my doctor. Once I have that, I´ll post in the forum how things go. Soomthly I hope
Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Driver´s licence: renew (UK) or exchange (pt) ?

As well as the driving schools in Tavira the Camara city shop situated in the Gran Plaza will also do it for you.