Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Dog's on Chains :- Heads Up

Dog's on Chains :- Heads Up

Old Sep 16th 2019, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog's on Chains :- Heads Up

This is great new's ,perhaps other Câmara's will pick up & adopt this initiative.
It will be cheaper in the long run if the birth rate was controlled
I had a She cat sterilised 2 year ago , cost 125.00 € !

Last edited by Ingles; Sep 16th 2019 at 11:18 am.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Dogs that roam around with collars on? Yes again, many old time locals let that happen .I am always amazed at how these dogs know where to cross the road, never to interfere with other dogs.etc The only nuisance they cause is to foul the streets ...and yes that is annoying . It is getting better is all I can say on that subject.
Dogs in packs in the hills etc. That used to be a big problem and I agree a dangerous one. No-one wants to mess with a pack leader or starving dogs.They have virtually become a thing of the past since the last big pack was rounded up in Portimao harbour.
At the final say.. It is we the human who are responsible ,not the dogs. We breed them, buy them, use them. Its up to us to care for them properly
If I remember correctly you are in my area GeniB.
A friend of mine has, in her own time, rounded up 27 stray dogs from the Luz Reserva area. There was quite a large pack of strays there when she moved over about 11 years ago. She thinks there are only 2 left that can't be caught by her.
It's people like her that make a real difference.
My only contribution is to take my dog from the kennels in Lagos not from a breeder.

Old Sep 18th 2019, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is utter heresy;
The 'no kill' law is a disaster.
Is it better to keep animals in overcrowded prisons where they live unloved and uncared for?
I love animals, I'm a dog person [have had cats too]. I have also killed some who had no hope of a decent life.
As stated above, we humans made these creatures; we are responsible for their welfare. When we are unable to provide basic needs, it's our responsibility to shoulder the pain, and euthanize them.
Or 'put them to sleep'.
I prefer the honest word; Kill.
Sorry, that's the hard truth.
Sure. we could [theoretically] allocate more money, enough to keep these animals in a reasonable physical state; but we can't legislate loving homes for them.
And that is what makes these human-bred animals happy. They need more than food pellets, water, and pest control.
At the very best, we would be using resources to keep millions of animals in a miserable life of prison.
Some can be adopted, and that's great. But not all, and that's the hard truth.
The 'expat community' seems to have the idea that this is a Portuguese problem; it might be worse here, but the problem exists in every country, and every country has government kennels where the majority of animals are killed, while a lucky minority might get adopted.
When rescue animals are exported and adopted in other countries, that just means a few extra animals are killed in government kennels there instead of here.

We humans have power over these animals, and that makes us responsible. Just keeping them alive is cruel, a cop out, shirking our duty.

Hate me for it if you like, but that's my opinion.
Don't ask me what I think about the current population of 7 billion humans on our planet unless you want to know...
Old Sep 19th 2019, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice