Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Dog's on Chains :- Heads Up

Dog's on Chains :- Heads Up

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog's on Chains :- Heads Up

Originally Posted by wellinever
should all be shot..bloody nuisance...........well done Portugal???? You are joking
This deliberatley inflammatary post was of course mean't to irritate and annoy. ( I already added my +1) It doesn't deserve answering ...but then.
You show an obvious ignorance of and for country life. especially country life in a poor country ,where people do not have the wherewithal, or education to protect their property and animals with alarms and fancy gates. They use dogs on chains or ropes .( since time began ). We have however moved on. Now it is illegal and those that practice this will be prosecuted. so yes .Well done Portugal
Dogs that roam around with collars on? Yes again, many old time locals let that happen .I am always amazed at how these dogs know where to cross the road, never to interfere with other dogs.etc The only nuisance they cause is to foul the streets ...and yes that is annoying . It is getting better is all I can say on that subject.
Dogs in packs in the hills etc. That used to be a big problem and I agree a dangerous one. No-one wants to mess with a pack leader or starving dogs.They have virtually become a thing of the past since the last big pack was rounded up in Portimao harbour.
At the final say.. It is we the human who are responsible ,not the dogs. We breed them, buy them, use them. Its up to us to care for them properly
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
This deliberatley inflammatary post was of course mean't to irritate and annoy. ( I already added my +1) It doesn't deserve answering ...but then.
You show an obvious ignorance of and for country life. especially country life in a poor country ,where people do not have the wherewithal, or education to protect their property and animals with alarms and fancy gates. They use dogs on chains or ropes .( since time began ). We have however moved on. Now it is illegal and those that practice this will be prosecuted. so yes .Well done Portugal
Dogs that roam around with collars on? Yes again, many old time locals let that happen .I am always amazed at how these dogs know where to cross the road, never to interfere with other dogs.etc The only nuisance they cause is to foul the streets ...and yes that is annoying . It is getting better is all I can say on that subject.
Dogs in packs in the hills etc. That used to be a big problem and I agree a dangerous one. No-one wants to mess with a pack leader or starving dogs.They have virtually become a thing of the past since the last big pack was rounded up in Portimao harbour.
At the final say.. It is we the human who are responsible ,not the dogs. We breed them, buy them, use them. Its up to us to care for them properly
Old Mar 24th 2019, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Good postGeniB.

STREETLIFE in the Moncarapacho is doing wonderful work controlling the number of roaming dogs and helping the poorer people with sterilisation of dogs. See their website for more information about Graeme Cree's work and think about supporting the organisation.

Moderator: It seems I cannot enter the website address but it is the obvious address with a .pt ending.

Last edited by BillBullock; Mar 24th 2019 at 7:52 am.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 9:42 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Good postGeniB.

STREETLIFE in the Moncarapacho is doing wonderful work controlling the number of roaming dogs and helping the poorer people with sterilisation of dogs. See their website for more information about Graeme Cree's work and think about supporting the organisation.

Moderator: It seems I cannot enter the website address but it is the obvious address with a .pt ending.
You should be able to, I do not know why it would not let you, maybe a glitch. Could you do another post and try to add it and if that is not successful send it to me in a PM and I will have a try.

Rosemary
Old Mar 24th 2019, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Good postGeniB.

This group Animais de Rua is along the same lines as "Bill 's" -
http://www.animaisderua.org/
Old Mar 24th 2019, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

The streetlife website is StreetLife - Home
Old Mar 25th 2019, 2:32 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

This is "good news", but as always, the proof of the pudding is in the eating........

In my experience the regular GNR would rather run an "Operation Stop" than enforce any of the new environmental/animal welfare laws. They argue that this is the role of SEPNA, the "environmental police" - but, in my part of the Alentejo there are 5 SEPNA officers to cover over 2000 Sq.Km2. and their duties cover far more than checking dogs. When I had a small fire on my land (accidentally caused by a neighbour), 3 of them drove 60km to attend for 2 hours and then drove back. Statements and measurements and photographs were taken - but nothing happened. I guess I could be talking too soon, this is the Alentejo and it was only 3 years ago!! Interestingly, the local GNR also drove the 15km from their station, but only to check there was no issue with the bombeiros gaining access!

Since that time the animal cruelty laws have come into being, as have the famous land clearance laws....... but no extra SEPNA have been stationed. On the latter,during the "investigation" of the fire it was noted that another of my neighbours had not ploughed his fire-breaks and the land on the opposite side of the road from me was overgrown. Nothing has happened in either case, except the weeds have grown higher.

So, I think these laws may be useful if the GNR want to charge you with something, but I don't expect cruel owners will be shaking in their beds anytime soon.

Meanwhile, there's an easy answer to tackling the dog crisis - don't buy a dog, adopt one from your local kennel.
We have rescued two abandonadas and both have been sterilized. So, that's two dogs off the list and no further additions from their side. The bonus is that they repay us every day!!
Old Mar 26th 2019, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the not buying dogs. There are plenty of charities that need responsible owners to adopt.

Also, I would add, please DO train your dog to NOT bark constantly or at the very least make certain you walk your dog regularly (leaving your dog to roam the countryside unsupervised does NOT count as a walk) and ensure it is properly integrated with the family. A bored dog is a barky dog and results in annoyed neighbours. At the moment, we are currently suffering through at least 3 dogs who bark constantly. I'm trying to establish exactly what they belong to so I can have a chat - although, I doubt that will help.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 11:32 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Agree with the not buying dogs. There are plenty of charities that need responsible owners to adopt.

Also, I would add, please DO train your dog to NOT bark constantly or at the very least make certain you walk your dog regularly (leaving your dog to roam the countryside unsupervised does NOT count as a walk) and ensure it is properly integrated with the family. A bored dog is a barky dog and results in annoyed neighbours. At the moment, we are currently suffering through at least 3 dogs who bark constantly. I'm trying to establish exactly what they belong to so I can have a chat - although, I doubt that will help.
I understand what you're saying - I presume you mean the kind of "attention seeking" barking. My girls bark - but only when something or someone intrudes on their perceived property, which is useful when you live out in the sticks. Their hearing is amazing and they sense things that we wouldn't even notice. That being said, their "property" lines can vary according to the kind of sound - they do have a habit of warning off the local farmer moving his sheep along the road, it seems the bells annoy them!!

Portugal is changing, it has changed a lot. Twenty years ago, my holidays were regularly ruined by SWMBO spotting an abandoned dog in the last days and being unable to do anything about it. Small groups of abandoned dogs roamed (my MiLs kitten was ripped apart by one) and mastiffs were kept on a diet of bread and water and never exercised. Today, it's rarer to see these things - but my neighbour still has an Alsatian on a chain, despite SWMBO's pointed comments at every opportunity. They don't see the issue, lucky dog, they think, it has food, water and a box to sleep in..... but at their age it will be hard to change the habit of a lifetime. Younger owners should be better - and things are improving - but you still see distrust or plain fear in children's eyes when they approach a dog and that is "learned experience" from the parents. So whilst my previous comment reflects the reality of a single change to the law, it is the direction of travel that counts - and we have to remember, only yesterday a dog had no more rights under the law than a table did..... so things are on the up!

Support your local Canil, they do wonders. Ours (ACGRA - Associação Canil e Gatil "Os Rafeiritos do Alentejo") overs a huge area and has saved hundreds of dogs, having them adopted by families in Germany or Sweden. But it is always "on the edge" for finance - particularly in an area away from the Algarve. Local expats help financially and even clean the kennels and/or exercise the dogs - but it's always a struggle and there's not much in reserve or to rebuild the aging infrastructure.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to add to the above post !
You may like to register on this site if your looking to adopt a Dog or Cat
http://dogsofportugal.wordpress.com/
Old Mar 26th 2019, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I understand what you're saying - I presume you mean the kind of "attention seeking" barking. My girls bark - but only when something or someone intrudes on their perceived property, which is useful when you live out in the sticks. Their hearing is amazing and they sense things that we wouldn't even notice. That being said, their "property" lines can vary according to the kind of sound - they do have a habit of warning off the local farmer moving his sheep along the road, it seems the bells annoy them!!

Portugal is changing, it has changed a lot. Twenty years ago, my holidays were regularly ruined by SWMBO spotting an abandoned dog in the last days and being unable to do anything about it. Small groups of abandoned dogs roamed (my MiLs kitten was ripped apart by one) and mastiffs were kept on a diet of bread and water and never exercised. Today, it's rarer to see these things - but my neighbour still has an Alsatian on a chain, despite SWMBO's pointed comments at every opportunity. They don't see the issue, lucky dog, they think, it has food, water and a box to sleep in..... but at their age it will be hard to change the habit of a lifetime. Younger owners should be better - and things are improving - but you still see distrust or plain fear in children's eyes when they approach a dog and that is "learned experience" from the parents. So whilst my previous comment reflects the reality of a single change to the law, it is the direction of travel that counts - and we have to remember, only yesterday a dog had no more rights under the law than a table did..... so things are on the up!

Support your local Canil, they do wonders. Ours (ACGRA - Associação Canil e Gatil "Os Rafeiritos do Alentejo") overs a huge area and has saved hundreds of dogs, having them adopted by families in Germany or Sweden. But it is always "on the edge" for finance - particularly in an area away from the Algarve. Local expats help financially and even clean the kennels and/or exercise the dogs - but it's always a struggle and there's not much in reserve or to rebuild the aging infrastructure.
Yes, it's very much the bored bark and of course, they set each other off. There's quite a difference between the alarmed or the scared or annoyed bark.

I support this charity: http://www.associationanimalslostpar....com/index.htm (Animals Lost, Paradise Found). They are an excellent shelter and need all the help they can get.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know of any shelters/adoption centres in the Santarem(south) district?
Old Mar 27th 2019, 10:30 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Anyone know of any shelters/adoption centres in the Santarem(south) district?
From a quick look, there is a municipal kennel in Santarém and also and association (charity). I don't know either, but personally I'd look at the Association first..... they may need help more. The municipal kennel will have an official vet, etc. - but how "good" it is depends on the people running it - and don't presume it's any more official, the one in Beja is outsourced and run by a private company.

The details are: ASPA - Associação Scalabitana de Proteção Animal
and CROAS - Centro de Refugio Oficial de Animais de Santarém

Worth a look. PS, don't be surprised if you are asked to make a payment for the animal and/or to become a member of the associação - if it has been chipped, inoculated and sterilised that's less for you to worry about - if not, be careful, private vets can charge a lot for these things.

Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2019, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Define "kept on chains";
Does that refer to chain choke collars?
Or chains attached to any collar?
Chained at any time, all the time? How much time makes it illegal?
What about ropes or cables?

I know of dogs left in cages forever. Never even walked. Not chained, so I guess it's allowed.
In todays PT Press , yesterday in Torres Verdras ,The GNR arrested a man for beating a Dog & keeping it restrained by using a very short rope !
Well that's @ least one question answered.
Old May 28th 2019, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ingles
Just to add to the above post !
You may like to register on this site if your looking to adopt a Dog or Cat
http://dogsofportugal.wordpress.com/
As I lost my old mate Scruffy early this year, she was 14 & Mini is missing her company.
I have been checking this site & in March ,this guy came up for adoption.
https://dogsofportugal.wordpress.com/?s=ofera
No contest , he's is to put it mildly "a right little sod" full off life !
The help & service given by the volunteers off DOP was amazing.
So if your thinking off adopting a Dog or Cat just register with them & up dates will be sent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.