Doggy Transport

Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future
Default Doggy Transport

This has probably been asked a thousand times but my search through posts hasn't come back with an awful lot.

Does anyone have any recommendations for transporting my dog when I relocate to Algarve?

I've had one quote from a company that drives door to door with me in the vehicle. As you can probably imagine, it wasn't cheap but I figure that's the most I could expect to pay; I just need a solution that won't require a mortgage. Me driving down isn't an option as I'll be selling my car in the UK before I leave and I'm not sure I could persuade anyone to make a two-way trip for such a long distance.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Ellis71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doggy Transport

Hi, we have been looking at this too, we refuse to put the dogs on a plane in the cargo hold, after spending many days trying many avenues we have had to settle with taking our car and using the ferry as every other way is far to expensive.
Sorry I wasn't more help.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ellis71
Hi, we have been looking at this too, we refuse to put the dogs on a plane in the cargo hold, after spending many days trying many avenues we have had to settle with taking our car and using the ferry as every other way is far to expensive.
Sorry I wasn't more help.
I've also asked the question on a Facebook forum I'm on and had some very helpful leads. It looks as if I'll be able to get door to door for under £400 by road. Thanks anyway.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Ellis71 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's not bad at all, still out of our reach but very fair for door to door.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Judithb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. - how did you get on transporting your dog to the Algarve? We are looking for transport for our dog for this autumn. Could you recommend anyone and how much should be expect to pay? Many thanks for any advice.

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
This has probably been asked a thousand times but my search through posts hasn't come back with an awful lot.

Does anyone have any recommendations for transporting my dog when I relocate to Algarve?

I've had one quote from a company that drives door to door with me in the vehicle. As you can probably imagine, it wasn't cheap but I figure that's the most I could expect to pay; I just need a solution that won't require a mortgage. Me driving down isn't an option as I'll be selling my car in the UK before I leave and I'm not sure I could persuade anyone to make a two-way trip for such a long distance.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Judithb
Hi. - how did you get on transporting your dog to the Algarve? We are looking for transport for our dog for this autumn. Could you recommend anyone and how much should be expect to pay? Many thanks for any advice.
We brought our two cats down a few years back with Euro Pet Transport and were very pleased with their service. Door to door in under two days. The cats didn’t seem stressed at all and settled in well.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Judithb is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks - I am sure I have tried to contact them without success. I will try again.

Originally Posted by Jonny22
We brought our two cats down a few years back with Euro Pet Transport and were very pleased with their service. Door to door in under two days. The cats didn’t seem stressed at all and settled in well.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

The only company I have had contact with :- Home - Jets4Pets
Old Feb 4th 2018, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Judithb
The journey was an absolute nightmare if I'm totally honest. I opted to go by road with a very nice chap who ferries between UK and Algarve in his Transit van. He offers to take a pet with or without owner on his scheduled trips and I thought being with my dog was a great option; I had huge reservations about flying her out or transporting her by road with several other animals with her not knowing where I was or what was happening.

My dog travels perfectly in a car and will settle down and sleep for hours so I assumed she'd be fine. I was very wrong. We were travelling for 3 days with 2 nights in dog friendly hotels but the days were incredibly long and we were on the road for 14 hours a day. My dog wouldn't settle at all and freaked out on several occasions. The vibrations in the cab, the noise (he had the radio on quite loud for the entire journey) and long periods on the road just panicked her and I became quite worried about her. She kept trying to escape the cab and became frantic and at one point wedged herself under my seat when I tried to settle her in the foot well. She was clearly terrified.

With hindsight, it would have been much better to have flown her out. It would have been a few hours of anxiety for her rather than 3 days of terror. I'm just glad she seemed to get over it very quickly but at the time, it was awful. I have no idea why she found it so traumatic and she's been fine in my car ever since but whatever it was, I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Obviously, you know your dog but I thought I knew mine. I'd happily have paid treble what I did (around £350 without the cost of hotels) to get her there quickly.