Dog insurance

Old Feb 1st 2021, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog insurance

Hi,

I can see here that it seems that dog health insurance isnt worth it here in PT due to quality of insurance and lower vet costs (the latter I can vouch for)?
I guess its still like this?

But what about civil liability insurance?
Again, I am guessing that things are different in PT? ..... and I bet if I ask any of my PT friends/family they will look at me as if I am some sort of dumb Bife ...

Old Feb 2nd 2021, 7:18 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog insurance

Originally Posted by Midgo
Hi,

I can see here that it seems that dog health insurance isnt worth it here in PT due to quality of insurance and lower vet costs (the latter I can vouch for)?
I guess its still like this?

But what about civil liability insurance?
Again, I am guessing that things are different in PT? ..... and I bet if I ask any of my PT friends/family they will look at me as if I am some sort of dumb Bife ...
I don't know about PT being different, but here in France we always took out civil liability insurance for our dogs. You never know what damage/accidents even the most obedient, laid-back dog can cause to third parties. Their existence was mentioned in our own civil liability insurance contract, no need to take out a separate one.
On the other hand, we didn't bother with health insurance, although we regretted it at the end of their lives when examinations and medication were costly. On the other hand, rather like (human) Funeral Plans, these costs were probably less expensive than the sum of the annual premiums over the years....
HTH
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that on the whole pet insurance does not seem worth the costs - rarely if ever cover routine expenses like vaccinations, pet passport needs, long-term treatments, etc etc - the small print leaves you with not much covered. Third party liability and civil responsibility should be included in your house insurance - again check the details, and get it included at a small premium if it is not. Again check the small print because some will only cover the dog within the grounds of the house insured, not out on the road for when/if it escapes or is attacked, or visiting elsewhere. Also note that most pet insurances will not take on an animal of a certain age (I think around 7 years is the cut off) though a dog already insured will continue to be covered into old age if signed up before that age. It is all in the detail !
Operations can be expensive but as dmu says, would the lifetime premiums be worth just this kind of emergency.
You do need to register your animals with a local vet who registers as present in the locality the animal, the chip number, and passport details in the national database.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Are you in PT Rambling Archer?
Doggy is 2 and chipped and all healthy and jabbed
Old Feb 4th 2021, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Midgo
Thanks,
Are you in PT Rambling Archer?
Doggy is 2 and chipped and all healthy and jabbed
Yes, in Central area. Congratulations on dog2 getting up to date.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

When I looked into the dog insurance we were offered, it sure looked useless.
A high deductible means no payment for small things, and a low upper limit means little payment for big things.
Then there was an exclusion list that seemed to cover a lot of common things.

I've got 8 or more running insurance policies. But not that one.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer
Thanks, I meant he is 2 years old - 2 cockers - no way
Will look into house ins. we have

liveaboard
Thanks, that's what I had heard before, seems like its the same still

Last edited by Midgo; Feb 4th 2021 at 1:49 pm.